The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

SBegonias17 likes this.
  2. warewolf95

:D I appreciate your reciprocated enthusiasm.

US Blues likes this.
  3. warewolf95

So since I've done one review tonight, it's on to random listening time.

Selections from 1974 right now.

9/14/Munich

Eyes and Sugar Mag

Both fantastic.

In the meantime I've been downloading the entirety of 1972 and am almost done filling in the gaps in my collection. Just gotta do 1973 next and I'll have every complete, "of at least listenable quality" show available from 1966 to the end of 1977. :)

4. warewolf95

9/14/74 Munich

The aforementioned Sugar Mag just went into the hottest OMSN ever. Head blown - again.

footlooseman and US Blues like this.
  5. warewolf95

Sorry for all the spammy posts guys. I'm just in a terrifically receptive-to-the-Dead mood right now and am soaking up the band like a sponge. :p

bzfgt, SBegonias17 and US Blues like this.
  6. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I did that for ‘73 and have worked my way through the February tour. I know there’s a few other years I have everything, but it’s not organized to my liking (73 is).

footlooseman, US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  7. warewolf95

I've done it slowly over the last few years. I did 1970 and 71 last year and figured I might as well just go back to the beginning, lol.,

Then I marathoned 1974 last year as well so that was a necessity.

I had 3/4 each of 1976 and 77 just from previous "random" collecting so I finished those off....

:p

Jim Walker and US Blues like this.
  8. warewolf95

So on Dicks Picks 3, 5/22/77, is Eyes patched with another show? Or is it the unedited/uncut performance.

I ask because the recent Miller posting is cut in the middle of the solo around 6:45.

On DP3 I hear an edit at that point but I don't hear a transition back and it sounds like there wasn't a cut. I'm confused. :p

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Each Christmas I hope Santa brings me the official versions of the 11 October ‘77 tracks from DP29 which were advertised on Livedownloads.com when I bought the FLACs of DP29 but which were not included amongst the files in the download. I was subsequently told that they didn’t have them and the DP29 page was edited to remove reference to the 11 October tracks.

RockRoom and warewolf95 like this.
  10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

This is where I get them; he’s got just about everything, and in different sizes (and sometimes shapes) too:

Caine Schneider’s albums | Flickr

For the May 1977 box there are the full rectangles plus a square version that’s better suited to digital album art.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Coltrane811 and warewolf95 like this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That is proper psychedelic artwork for a Grateful Dead release, not cartoonish skeletons.

12. warewolf95

#SAINT

I usually use albumartexchange but they don't even have everything sometimes. Thanks man. :)

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  13. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Here’s fun: tonight in Houston in the same venue (Fitzgerald’s) - downstairs is new local bunch ‘Up On A Quasar’ who just soundchecked Here Comes Sunshine and sounded pretty darn competent ... they only have the one guitarist... maybe I should sell myself...

Then later in the upstairs part is Austin Phish tribute A Live One, who are always great. Yay.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In the Miller version you can hear dropouts from the reel starting to run out during the second chorus, then it cuts at "the heart has its seasons" at 6:53, cuts back in with a Jerry solo that winds down into strumming for a few bars, then he starts soloing again at 7:19.

On DP3 I think they used the third chorus to replace the second half of the second chorus (from "wake now discover"), then cut back to the 5/22/77 version at 7:19, so that Jerry solo section from 6:53-7:19 is left out.

15. warewolf95

Ever knowledgeable as always. Thanks pat. :)

16. warewolf95

Just getting around to comparing the latest Dave's with Miller's version.

Probably due to my cheap listening setup I can't really notice at all the fuss that was made about Phil's bass sound, but I will say the official release has a lot more hiss and I think Miller's overall sounds better.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

3/21/90 Copps tonight. I haven’t played something from Spring ‘90 in a while; it’s sounding good.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and jazz_case like this.
  18. US Blues

@Dahabenzapple is at tonight's JRAD show. They opened with a smoldering version of Scarlet Begonias.

19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Followed by Sugaree Into and including FOTM

20. warewolf95

My favorite He's Gone. :)

Make sure you continue into the next night and hear my favorite Scar>Fire!

Mad Dog, NorCal and adamos like this.
  21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"Fountains of the Moon"? "Friend of the Man"?

;)

US Blues likes this.
  22. Dahabenzapple

Fire on the Mountain:)

notesofachord, JRM and US Blues like this.
  23. US Blues

Wrong way Billy what you standing there for?
    Get up, get up, get out of the door...

24. Dahabenzapple

A few words about last night’s JRAD show:

1) better than the first time - maybe much better?
    2) Playing in the Band to end Set 1 had a great space jam unlike anything Dead / my wife loved it so much she MADE play a version on the way home and I had 10/20/74 available and she even listened through the ~10 minute jam..
    3) glad I’ve come to love Row Jimmy VERY recently as it worked great as the second set opener
    4) Terrapin was out there and tremendous - they found ways to improvise within the difficult to improvise within type structure.
    5) Ramble on Rose rose the roof
    6) Cats Under the Stars was 15 something minutes of uber sticky groove Meltiness - who knew? Not me - I barely knew the song
    7) GDTRFB closer blew the roof off the place
    8) some Chuck Berryish tune for the encore was turning into a downer UNTIL they segued into I Know You Rider which was as great as Bertha was in July.

I was able to listen better to the two guitarists this time and I’m very to extremely impressed. They almost go guitar hero a bit too much but the overall energy of the band and the venue/crowd is way over the top amazing. In some ways I like the du leads better than the Jerry/Bob thing that Dark Star Orchestra emulates. Metzger had some of the best improvisations of the night in a more low key way than Hamilton but Tom can really make that guitar scream.

If I didn’t have a job and a wife I’d go tonight and buy a Loge ticket at whatever cost it would take.

Billy_Sunday, jv66, budwhite and 7 others like this.
  25. US Blues

Excellent report. It seems this band gets better with every show. See y'all at Red Rocks!

DrLunchbox and JRM like this.