The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I have the official downloads of those. I was just wondering whether one could use Audacity to increase the speed by 1.38% (or whatever it is) and get a finished product at the correct speed. I think I would find it satisfying, especially for the obviously slow-running releases like that one and the May ‘80 Road Trips which I don’t think I’ve even listened to more than once.

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah, I love that Dark Star! It never gets props.

budwhite, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  3. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Somehow I managed to work in 5/22/77 (the new Miller transfer) and 5/25/77 today while still participating in family events today (working on appellate briefs, ugh, so no real down time). Both excellent shows and grateful for great tunes. The full 5/22 may be my favorite May '77 show now.

Crispy Rob, adamos, dgwint and 3 others like this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

[​IMG]

adamos, budwhite, jazz_case and 2 others like this.
  5. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Congratulations. In the current environment it's hard to believe there were once Days of Plenty.

Back in 2011ish, I purchased 3.3 while still available on dead.net. I adored it and, after a bit, ordered a back-up physical copy for posterity. After 3 weeks, I hadn't received the order (unusual - I was filling in back releases from .net often with arrival in 1-2 weeks), so I called customer service, which apologized and assured quick followup on my inquiry. Next day, a copy arrived and I thought no more about it until yet another copy came in the post a week later (at no cost to me). I felt a bit guilty about my lack of patience, so I called CS back and asked if I should return-mail the extra copy, to which the guy responded laughingly, 'only if you want to pay postage'. I opened the 'backup' copy to ensure perfect play (because I would have requested replacement otherwise); so now I have my original, the once-played backup, and a sealed extra! I should note that not one of those copies contains the bonus disc, but still...

6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

But not Anthem of the Sun. Are they really going to make us wait until July for the reissue? I seem to remember the 50th anniversary debut reissue already having been announced by this time last year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Here's something to keep you occupied. Relisten strikes again.

Bits and pieces from 1968. Some you've heard, others probably not. Running time about 6 hours.

adamos and budwhite like this.
  8. ianuaditis

4-15-70 - Winterland. I'm kind of surprised this came out on the 30 Trips box. It must be patched to bejaysus and back with all the tape issues.

This show was in many ways typically of early 70 - a less than impressive set list, maybe, but very well-done. The tunes that are cut short due to tape/PA problems are all pretty good versions, but the real essential on this show is That's it for the Other One>Dire Wolf. They play a unique jam out of the drum solo that almost sounds like Santana. The whole piece is an excellent rejoinder for any fools who doubt Garcia's place among the great guitar burners. The other instruments are right there with him, too.

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

April '78 might sell a bit better than July but there is no way they doing a big '78 box at this point. The last box has over 1500 copies in store out of 15.000 and it was released almost two years ago. Maybe we get a curated set of 3-4 CDs at some point.... otherwise I think we'll get a '78 show every other year in Dave's Picks series.

Something from Jan or Nov/Dec would be my next choice from '78. And Jan/Feb '79 if they have anything in the vault.

And when is July 18th 1976 getting a release? Free the damn multitracks already :waiting:

10. Plus based on Dave’s comments 4/21/78 is probably waiting in the wings to complete the once-considered box set with 4/22 and 4/24 at some point.

11. ianuaditis

an April 78 box without 4-8, 4-11, and 4-16 doesn't even cut ketchup, let alone mustard.

12. ...among others. But the fact that he mentioned these three shows (4/21, 4/22, 4/24) together as a one-time possible release suggests 4/21 is somewhere in the pipeline; this being my only point really.

Crispy Rob, NorCal, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  13. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

An April '78 box set, at minimum, should cover 8 April thru 16 April, inclusive. None of these shows were in the Vault, all of them contain brilliant music, with varied and interesting second sets.

NorCal, Matthew Tate, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  14. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

you watched that Black Hole special on PBS didn't you? :agree:

Archtop, budwhite and US Blues like this.
  15. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Where in MI? Make sure to get some Faygo and maybe a pasty when you’re there.

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

Listening to 2/11/70. Surely it can't be long till this is released. Music this good deserves to be heard by the masses :)

17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I think quite a bit of Dark Star is missing?

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've read they only have one early 79 show (2/11 I think) unless more of them were returned.

7/18/76 would be great. Probably will happen one of these days.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Hamstranck.

Faygo? Man i aint no juggalo! :)

US Blues likes this.
  20. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Faygo Rock 'N Rye, baby!

DrLunchbox likes this.
  21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Maybe; I was just waxing poetic there for a moment.

SBegonias17, budwhite and US Blues like this.
  22. US Blues

Well, it was bound to happen. 24 bit version of 8 April 1978 is starting to appear:

Source: SBD > Master Reel > Beta Hifi > Beta Hifi
    Transfer: Beta Hifi > Tascam DA-3000 (DSF 1-bit/5.8 MHz) > wav 24/96
    Lineage: wav 24/96 > Adobe Audition 1.5 > iZotope RX 6 Advanced > iZotope Ozone 5 Advanced > CD Wave > TLH > Flac 24

Thanks to Charlie Miller for providing this source and doing the transfer.

edited and mastered
    SIRMick
    January 2018

This show contains a full band version of Close Encounters at the end of Space. Phil lands the Mothership on the stage.

23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Should be a good one! I don't remember the other SDB source but the show is killer, and it has been mentioned here more than a few times lately. For good reason

bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I've said it a million times it seems, but the China--> Rider from 12/1/79 is just so very good. And it gets better after that...this one is less about the transition and all about the Rider.

25. US Blues

Far and away the best Brent show from '79. Rates up there with some of the January and February shows from the same year.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and Archtop like this.