The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It seems to rely (almost exclusively, except for Estimated Prohphet, So Many Roads and maybe one or two others I misidentified) on officially released live albums that came out before Garcia died. (Live/Dead, Skull ****, Europe 72, etc.)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Does the RFK '89 boxset sound as good as Nightfall of Diamonds?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Better, IMHO

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

FWIW, the Compendium has an entry for this "Dancing" related instrumental but gives the date as September 23 and 24, rather than July.

And there's another recording (not on the Archive yet) from September 1, 1975 of the Dead working on the Reflections versions of "Comes A Time" and "They Love Each Other."

SBegonias17 and US Blues like this.
  5. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure all of these have even previously been released on vinyl as well. I'm pretty much a complete when it comes to vinyl. I have live/dead, Fillmore East, both volumes of E72, from the vault 1, and the Cornell set. I think I'm covered but need to check the E72 tracks to be sure.

Edit. Correction. Got Fillmore East and ladies and gentlemen confused. The latter has never been released on vinyl to my knowledge. Dang it!! So two tracks never before officially released on was. Still may have to pass.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Second listen to Dick's 19 Dark Star revealed something way more than first listen which was a couple of months back. Morning Dew is a top 10 version as well like most late 73 versions I’ve heard.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Phil is certainly enthusiastic, shall we say. 2/24/74 remains my favorite pre-hiatus version.

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Add 10-18-72, 12-18-72 for me I think. I do like the 80s ones best.

10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

he is very busy with his endeavor as historian of the CRB. Look him up as Raven's Reels Almanac on FB.

11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Dick's 19 is from Oklahoma (...the wild wheat waving in the wind...) on 19 October 1973. That show contains an exceptional Dark Star > Morning Dew, as does the Winterland show from 24 February 1974, released as Dave's #13. Yes, I know, but I've memorized all these dates, but thank FSM not the official release numbers.

12. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Jerry the Gort finally locked it up a bit earlier today, due to being a contentious hit and run by the OP.

13. US Blues

Do you mean 18 December 1973? Also a stunning, yet shorter for the time, Dark Star.

In formless reflections of matter...

footlooseman likes this.
  14. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

We didn't even get an emotional rendition of "Box of Rain" to close it out. Dang it, @Jerry

15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

No, I mean 12/15/1972!

US Blues and Archtop like this.
  16. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Good news, Kevin!
    Your order is on the way.
    ITEM QTY
    Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2018 Subscription

1 x Dave's Picks Volume 25 $28.98 1

17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Agree with that.

18. trd

trd Forum Resident

5/5/77 disc 1

Haven’t listened to this since the first spin after the box arrived.

19. US Blues

Well why didn't you say so?! :winkgrin:

Oh yeah, that Dark Star is phenomenal. :cheers:

bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  20. Freebird

One of my favorite Dick's Picks. I'd like to see 10/25/73 come out someday.

Did you make it to the Eyes of the World on that release? Top notch in my opinion.

bzfgt, SBegonias17, SteveFff and 3 others like this.
  21. Freebird

Incredible Sugaree.

SteveFff and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. trd

trd Forum Resident

Boy howdy is it ever. That first solo is a monster, and there’s 2more jams to come! I’m up to Deal and it’s been a great ride so far. When Tennessee Jed and Looks Like Rain have me grooving along from the couch you know it’s a good show :uhhuh:

notesofachord and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just got the 3 cd amazon exclusive soundtrack

24. ianuaditis

Last night I finished 3-25-91, still in Albany, and still without Hornsby. The ostensible reason for him to be there was they asked him, and he said no, but volunteered to stay around until Vince was up to speed. Of course, like many things Grateful Dead, that explanation doesn't make sense. Vince is way up to speed here, just a few months after taking over the seat, (his playing is really good, IMO, notwithstanding his sometimes questionable choices of keyboard sounds. But that saxophone might have been Garcia anyway, and I'm pretty sure Weir was a french horn at one point?)

@warewolf95 might have already told everyone about set 2 of this, a nice Crazy Fingers>Truckin'>Spoonful into drums, and a weird Other One coming out of it, followed by a plaintive Black Peter, Throwing Stones and the reprise of Playin in the Band from 2 days previous. (However, I bet he probably couldn't tell you that Garcia plays 'Blues for Allah' in Space. :-plnktn-: )

I'm not a huge fan of Bobby's Lovelight, but at least I would have felt like I'd gotten my money's worth if they played it as an encore.

Now it's back to 1983 - March 29 at the Warfield. Near the end of set I, glad to see that rough version of Brother Esau was just a glitch. This has been a high-energy first set, from a rocking Jack Straw to Ramble on Rose, All Over Now, and the closing Big RxR>Greatest Story. Candyman and Bird Song are nice pace-changers. Bird Song is not the monster of its heyday, obviously, nor even the extended treatment it would get in the later 80s.

Set 2 has Help on the Way to kick things off, so I expect big things.

25. ianuaditis

the Bertha is from 1971's Grateful Dead aka Skull **** - which if you don't have on vinyl, you need to get. I'm pretty sure all the Europe 72 tracks are from the original album.

I agree, that sound from spring 71 is one of his best. It's mostly the Rick Turner peanut guitar, at least in April.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018