The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'd buy the complete FW box set again if they Plangented* it. They could sell 25K if they advertised it right.

PS- And please add 26 Jan 1969 as a bonus, just to have the complete historical record.

*- Is it "Plangented" or "Plangetized?"

2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

that's one of the reasons I love the 6/14/68 fillmore east set. it's really off the beaten path.

3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

a new version of 2-14-70 (late show) is up in the usual places.

4. US Blues

New version of the aforementioned 14 June 1968 FE show as well. CM and Co. have been on a rampage of late, there have been some nice new releases and upgrades. And it is wise to not always assume a new source is an upgrade, it may simply be an alternate source.

5. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listening to a fresh JRAD soundboard on the Archive...Thanksgiving in Philly...

Highlight of this show is the second set Let It Grow. At about 5:15, Marco throws down some hints of Taxman, Joe and Tommy immediately pick up on that, and...we’re off, into a long, jazzy and psychedelic Taxman jam. Eventually they wind their way back to Let It Grow...no rush, this version clocks in at almost 17 minutes...

“We love the songs, we adore the songs, and it's so fun when you stick the landing on the part that has to be there. But I think the thing for us, and the people coming to see us, is the stuff in between." Joe

Joe Russo's Almost Dead Live at The Fillmore Philadelphia on 2017-11-25 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I was just reading Phil's book and IIRC regarding Anthem - that is why there's that little segment during Caution where Pigpen's voice goes all fast, because they had to come up with a way to merge tapes at different speeds, is that the same thing?
    50th anniversary is coming up soon!

nfmboss666 and JRM like this.
  7. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

No disrespect to anyone but I have found a lot of these new PCM sources are not upgrades to what already circulates. However 6/14/68 & 2/14/69 are upgrades!

trd likes this.
  8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I'm going to re-emphasize this, because many of the "upgrades" sound to me like nothing of the sort. Partly because of this, I haven't listened to all of them, so some may actually be upgrades.

budwhite, trd and US Blues like this.
  9. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

I agree with the other comments - a lot of the new PCM sources sound like the exact same tapes that are already out there, no difference. 1/16/70 was an actual upgrade too, however it's not the complete show.
    I didn't hear much improvement in the new 6/14/68 remaster unfortunately. But I love the distorted AUD tape anyway, so that's OK.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Charlie Miller just posted to Facebook that he's listening to 9/20/70, and "you know what that means..." I'm not sure I know what that means, but it's interesting.

Eric S., Kevin55, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  11. ianuaditis

6-18-83 - SPAC - I know a lot of thread residents went to this show - it had its moments, of course, but it also was fairly sloppy overall, especially compared to some of the shows from the spring. (Jack Straw, Weir singing 'fire' after every stanza of one of the Fire on the Mountain verses, etc.)

All I found on the archives were AUDs, to me they all encompassed the metallic and spacious sound of that venue. The first set was kind of rough - an enthusiastic Bertha, but other than that, nothing really grabbed me until Garcia's solo in Scarlet Begonias, when 'it' showed up. The entire Playin>Wheel>Playin>Morning Dew>Throwing Stones>NFA>Touch sequence was pretty good as well, especially the first half.

I know this Morning Dew gets a lot of praise as well, it was a good rendition, though I wonder if the source I listened to gives the full measure of it.

12. ianuaditis

He does the words all wrong, but still great:

RockRoom, Crispy Rob and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. ianuaditis

I can't even complain about the slow tempo on this:

Oteil might be the strongest part of that band.

budwhite, DrLunchbox and Dennis0675 like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

They are playing tonight in Mexico, I may get in on the webcast.

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  15. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Speaking of which... I have considered doing this a few times. Is there a big difference from Standard Def webcast and Hi Def, I mean is it worth the difference in price? I am thinking about ordering the 3 Mexico shows...

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s a pretty big difference depending on what you are watching it on. I run a HDMI from a tower to a 58in Panasonic plasma, the difference is substantial. On a computer monitor or iPad it’s probably not worth the money.

17. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

it still kills me that only a portion of 6/14/68 is available in sb. for those who may not remember, it's on the fillmore west 69 box bonus cd.

18. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I would be watching on a tv... let me ask you since you seem to have some experience. If you have the Nugs monthly subscription does that include the webcasts or you still have to buy those separate?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. US Blues

No SBD circulates for this show. I've not heard an AUD of this one that I can really enjoy. Other than @Archtop and myself, I cannot remember who else from this forum attending this show.

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I do not have a nugs subscription, I have bought well over 100 webcasts. If there is a way to say money with a subscription, please let me know.

21. ianuaditis

I went to see Furthur Festival twice at SPAC, and whichever Charlie Miller AUD I heard sounded just like that show from the first note. I guess I assumed some of the old time capital region heads that post on here must have gone, though they may have been 'off the 'bus' ' by then.

wavethatflag likes this.
  22. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

`83 was the only SPAC show I did not attend (though the others have a lot to commend them for the most part). The `84 show was amazing, even though Jerry`s voice was rough they played with fire in their bellies that night ! I believe only the second set circulates in SB, first set there are some nice auds floating around. Best "Other One" I ever witnessed !

Billy_Sunday, budwhite, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

None of the available AUDs get anywhere close to transmitting the sound and the vibe of that show. Yes, the first set had some problems, but the Bird Song has a great jam. The whole second set was magical. The sun finally came out for a minute just as the band came on stage for the second set, prompting Brent to riff I Can See Clearly Now before Scarlet, then the sun set, the set got going and Mother Nature even jammed along, tossing lightning bolts across the sky at key moments during Fire on the Mountain and The Wheel. And the Dew was the most amazing thing I've ever heard live. The sound was very good and Phil was just demolishing the universe during significant portions of Dew. When he hit that first triple stop about a minute into it, I distinctly remember being stunned by the power of it. As he kept hammering those double and triple-stops I was almost in disbelief at what was transpiring right in front of me.

OK, OK, I'll shut up about it now (for a minute :nyah:).

As I was in '83, I was about 20-30 yards back from the physical structure and in '84 it rained, rained and then rained harder. Rivers of mud were running down the slope. My spleen even got drenched that day. But that was indeed a rollickin' Other One!

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Arrgh, I did it again...

Archtop and bzfgt like this.
  25. trd

trd Forum Resident

I've not watched the D&C webcasts but my experience with Phish and JRAD webcasts mirrors this

JRM, nfmboss666 and Dennis0675 like this.