The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Listening to Dick’s 19 for the first time over the past few days, and I really liked the “Dark Star”>”Morning Dew.” I’m not anything close to a huge “Dark Star” expert or anything, so my opinion may not be worth much, but I was engaged throughout, and that’s not always the case.

There’s a lot of sloppy singing in this show — even on songs you couldn’t conceivably call “under-rehearsed” — but I’m pleased that I’m finally able to listen past that. And that said, the singing on the rather slow “Dark Star” is A+.

I’m embarking on a tour of the 10/19/73 thru 12/19/73 official releases — other than the Winterland box and the Denver RT set, it’s all new to me — but I do declare this is a fine, fine start.

2. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

My adventure through ‘73 has stalled after the Spring tour. I suspect the next box will be either May, Summer, September or Fall ‘73 and I would like to keep it fresh and listen to official sources. Though I may just have to just go ahead anyway.

The Fall ‘73 tour may be my favorite GD tour.

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Recently got back from an Irish Breakfast at my former local, The Thirsty Scholar in Somerville, MA. The good wife went to do grocery shopping for tomorrow and I figured why not the Dark Star from 4/8/72 from Steppin' Out? I just finished laying some carpet treads on our stairway so our dog can be with us without risking breaking his neck and all that's left for today is to see if the young Celtics can show some intestinal fortitude tonight and keep up their spotless home record this postseason.

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Another fabulous Dark Star>Morning Dew. Pretty great show all accounted

5. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I thought about holding out, but my gut tells me I’m not likely to tire of Fall ‘73, particularly if I’m only listening to the official stuff. The Winterland box knocked me out when I bought it last year.

Dominick, ianuaditis, Archtop and 3 others like this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Guinness, whiskey and cigarettes in a dimly lit room? :winkgrin:

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

May the ghost of Red be with Brad Stevens and his scrappy young team tonight!

[​IMG]

8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That one is listed as Dark Star>MLB Jam>Morning Dew in Deadbase, so I overlooked it when I scanned the list to find the other DS>Dews.

So it looks like its one of the two then?

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Grateful Celt! Steal Your Pass! ("Havlicek stole the ball!" (1965) "There's a steal by Bird!" (1987))

10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Agree with this completely, Fall ‘89 was my first encounter with Phish as well. The GD frat boy scene was already in place at least by ‘87 and some of them eventually found the Phish scene, but Phish’s early fans weren’t frat boys and fit in well with the older type GD fan.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I’m just rolling back into town so have much catching up to do, and apologies if it’s been mentioned recently, but our Peggy-O semifinals are neck and neck like these NBA finals; so get your scores in this holiday Sunday night and make a difference.

Grateful Dead 2018 Peggy-O Funiculi Funicula Four Tournament

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That was a great one in a stunning setting (I was there, too).

13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Man it was freaking hot. I dont even think we put up the tent the first night.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Fwiw, I first saw Phish in Columbus, OH 1994 and was surprised by the clean cut crowd (that is how I was too, granted). From my next shows 1996 onwards the crowds seemed more like younger Deadheads.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I guess the ratio may be more as expected taking into account solo shows...?

Another observation about Dead guitars (so to speak), I hadn't previously seen (or couldn't remember seeing) any confirmed photos of the group from October '71 onwards with Bob playing a Les Paul Custom. All the photos I had seen were supposedly from eariler in the year (mostly the Summer I think). There is that image in the Dave's 22 packaging somewhere (under the CD trays, I think) that shows him playing a Custom but as I recall @davmar77 (sorry if it wasn't you) said that he was at one or more of the Felt Forum shows and that Bob wasn't on a Custom them. I assumed that the photo came from earlier in the year. Anyway, I noticed in one the newspaper clippings displayed on the Dave's 3 packaging, there is a photo of Jerry, Bob, Phil and Bill supposedly from 21 October '71 (it is referred to as being from the Thursday, although the caption is slightly ambiguous). In it Bob has his Custom (and Jerry the Alligator). So, for anyone who cares...there you go. He was still using it in October. There is definitely a snappier sound to some of his playing around this time, compared with '72 but it's easy to think that after learning he was on a different guitar. Unlike with Jerry, I actually find it quite hard to distinguish Bob's guitar tones in the earlier days, such was his unique style and touch. It all usually sounds like an archtop Gibson to me (except very early on of course).

16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

High Time set list:

Bertha
    Big Railroad Blues
    Ramble On Rose
    Playing in the Band
    Eyes of the World
    Loser
    Viola Lee Blues

Pretty ****ing great 65-70 minutes

Viola Lee Blues slayed - shortish but 10-11 minutes of absolute fire

budwhite, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Someone let me know when guys who haven’t listened to Phish in 20 years are done criticizing them and we get back to discussing the Grateful Dead

18. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I haven’t listened to much Phish period (I have Billy Breathes and A Live One somewhere in my collection of CDs or CD-Rs), and can’t say I’ve ever gotten the bug to go down that road.

On the other hand, on the way home from dinner (about 20-25 minutes) I put Scar>Fire on from 2/5/78. About 10 minutes from the house, the wife asked/commented “we’re still going to be listening to this song when we get home, aren’t we?”

There was five minutes left on Fire when we pulled into the driveway :D

Ezzie, Dominick, Crispy Rob and 8 others like this.
  19. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

9/7 was the wolf debut with the dead. The actual debut was 2 days earlier with Saunders on the hells angels cruise in NYC.

US Blues likes this.
  20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Playing 3/21/90 again. Yes, again. And then 3/29/90.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

6/17/91 is the highlight of the year but we already have a good recording.

22. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

High Time 2nd Set:

Cryptical Envelopment>
    TOO>
    I Know You Rider
    Loose Lucy
    Bird Song
    New Speedway Boogie>
    TOO>
    Cryptical Reprise

Encore:

High Time (1 verse)> U.S. Blues

Fantastic with highlights being both portions of TOO being spectacular along with New Speedway Boogie going into a feedback drenched awe-inspiring jam morphing into TOO.

Birdsong also great.

Wow

23. notesofachord

Alas...

:doh::shrug:

mmthmj and ianuaditis like this.
  24. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Wow, 3/21/90's Estimated. What a great, great show! Such a clean tone from Jerry. And the band is in the groove like it's a matter of survival.

25. notesofachord

It's been far too long since I've played 1974 Grateful Dead. To rectify this, I just threw in disc 1 of DiP31, which is a compilation of highlights from both nights in Philly (8/4 and 8/5/74).

[​IMG]

The jazz fusion stuff they were doing at this time is no easy task for the musical brain to digest, but it's well worth the effort. Keith's Rhodes sounds great. Billy is FLOWING.

I just checked the inflation calculator and $6 in 1974 has the same buying power as $30 in spring 2018 money. Still a great deal. I'd pay a lot more than $30 to see wall-of-sound Grateful Dead if a time machine existed!

At least we have the recordings!