The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In the case of "Eyes" 5/22/77 they repeated part of one chorus to cover a gap in another chorus. That worked pretty nicely but of course isn't usually possible in Dead songs.

"Let It Grow" 12/19/73 (DP1) has a patch from 12/18. That worked pretty well too.

budwhite, US Blues, KCWhistle and 2 others like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Pig did sing off-key sometimes, and had rhythm problems too occasionally. He had a lot of personality though.

Mansley, budwhite, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  3. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

:eek:

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I've never been so glad to see a pair of jorts in my life.

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That's a great/sad moment. Music really is an amazing thing. I don't have much mystical belief, I think we just find patterns to make sense of the randomness of the universe. But it is amazing when those little coincidences make it seem like there really is something driving the bus.
    And, that was a particularly nice He's Gone. I'm looking forward to hearing the next night.

6. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Listening to the 1st set of 7/15/89[Deer Creek Noblesville Indiana]on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead Channel via the webstream

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I’m more of a wandering the land (like Kane!) kind of guy that a shadow boxing the apocalypse guy, but to each their own.

wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, they didn't get into roller skates until the early 80s. "Esau, he's on roller skates today, selling real estate to someone in L.A."

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

This one might stick, it covers two artists I like, plus serves as a subtle reminder to the heathens among us who skip Space when listening to Set II.

10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Full songs flown in from the June '77 Winterland shows after the alleged coffee spill on the soundboard incident affecting the last 3 songs or so.

11. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Before doing such measures they should just dump the whole show/run
    concept. If'n you ain't got it, don't fake it like ya'do.
    We will get by.

12. Spinning wheel

Spinning wheel Forum Resident

I'm glad to hear all the positive comments about both '76 and '78 in the wake of the releases of DP 18, 23 and the '78 box. I remember a time a while back when I was promoting the virtues of both years relative to consensus favorite '77. I was fortunate that the bulk of the shows I saw were between the years of '76 and '79 including all the Winterland shows and the Portland shows in "77, but the best shows in that stretch to me were the Orpheum, Oakland Sta. and NYE shows in "76 and so many great shows in '78 including the post Egypt shows which were incredible. The only '77 shows that rival those to me are 2/26/77 which might be somewhat associated w/ '76 and 12/29/77 which might be somewhat associated with '78.

The Dead did benefit in ways by working w/ Keith Olson but the resulting music to me in retrospect suffers for a blandness due to it's "perfection" relative to other Dead years. I know for some '77 stands out and I can totally understand that, but for me '78 is a pinnacle year because they were able to retain some of grounding they got by working w/ Olson and then loosened it up again resulting in some phenomenal music. Toss in the Egypt adventure and you've got a really interesting and eventful year. Great dates for me are 1/11, 1/13, 1/22, 1/31, 7/7-8, some of the best shows I saw 10/17-22, 11/20, 11/24 and 12/31. 1978, certainly my favorite post vacation year.

13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Dick’s Picks25. That second show ... is weird

bmoregnr and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The church bell sound during the final jam (after the best vocal jam I've heard) was really beautiful. There are times when He's Gone is my favorite Dead song. I'll be listening to this one again this week.

Along those lines, I got a new phone recently, with much less storage than before. I've been keeping 4-5 shows for a few weeks before rotating them out. It makes it a little like the old days, when new tapes would come around infrequently.

Mansley, jazz_case, KCWhistle and 2 others like this.
  15. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. I think they should handle the missing parts like they did in 30 Trips - just use an audience source from the same show. More authentic.

16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

There's 6.5 years between me and my younger brother, and he wasn't born yet, so I'm relating to you the memories of me at, probably, five years of age. I have zero doubt I was missing the greater meaning "I Am A Rock." Or maybe I had it figured out, but I kind of doubt it. I'm not a prodigy of anything

I finished the '83 30 Trips show today. It's solid, but it doesn't make me want to explore '83.

bzfgt likes this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I don't think so. It sounds more like a semi-chordal "chunk" to me and actually, that where the solo should/could theoretically begin (on the 1 at the top of the form). He then begins his solo proper on the 3 of the same bar. All good there.

18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Eyewitness evidence that '78 is IT. :agree:

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

This. If it doesn't exist, that's OK.

bzfgt, KCWhistle and DrLunchbox like this.
  20. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Do explore 10/31/83, and choose an AUD over a SBD. If the thunder don't get ya then the lightning will. Amazing post-drums sequence, especially the track mis-labeled "Space". Serious jamming. I just talked myself into it. :)

21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was hoping my comment would provoke exactly this.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

10/31/83 was the second GD tape in my collection and definitely worth hearing. Lake PlACID 10/17 is a must for the Sugaree. October ‘83 was strong in general.

Mansley, adamos, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

83 is a great year, along with the aforementioned, April and September saw some really good shows. 4/20 in Providence and the run from 9/2 in Boise up to 9/11 or so was a very good run with some crazy stuff.

24. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

1983. The most Heavy Metal of years. I too, would like to hear more retail GoGD released from this most hallowed of years.

ianuaditis and jazz_case like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Continuing on through the July '78 box, starting 7/7/78. Garcia's really hedging in Candyman much more than usual: "If I had me a shotgun, I'd probably blow you straight to hell." I mean, I could, but I might not, particularly if you've got an egg cream, some Haagen Daaz, a stash of primo weed, and a bindle handy.