The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'm glad you made it out to the Rocks for the show.

That Radiohead song was a poor choice, IMHO, because very few people knew the tune and the energy got dispersed and unfocused. I get they want to expand our horizons, but do it in the 1st set as a stand-alone, not out of Slipknot! in the raging maelstrom of a psychedelic second set.

I'm down off my soapbox now, it was a great show.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Oh, we'll make a radioHEAD out of you yet...

:edthumbs:

3. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Some of the most GRYMM, yet most awesome art in the series!
    Killer spun-out show too. Lols.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  4. notesofachord

Back to 9/10/91:

The jam part of "Cassidy" was highly elevated by the playing of Marsalis and Hornsby. Oh and Phil has been a beast (as is usual). The band's vocals are also significantly better sounding than in '92 - '95.

The set-closing "Deal" is just a huge ball of rock n roll fun! Love, love, love it. Dave did not lie when in the liner notes he stated, "In fact, the whole first set is a highlight!". Indeed, David Lemieux, indeed.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Mansley, adamos, KCWhistle and 5 others like this.
  5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Ryan Adams great song Let it Ride begins like this - Moving like the fog on the Cumberland River
    I was leaving on the Delta Queen

Phil has played that one on occasion. It's on the Q show from 2016 that I posted a youtube video of the day

US Blues, jazz_case and wavethatflag like this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

How rocked are we going to get at Terrapin?

Very rocked. :D

budwhite likes this.
  7. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Long live LSD music. Thank you Jerry. Thank you Grateful Dead. Thank you Warner Bros. Thank you Rhino.

8. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Wow! That’s in the 30 Trips! Excellent!

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Ah right, I guess I knew two of their songs after all. The one I'm thinking of has a riff that's *almost* the same as the one in that song Shine by Collective Soul.
    91 has a strong case for being the best year for first sets. They're usually kind of short, which doesn't hurt, and without looking I believe there was a first set Dark Star.

jazz_case and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. libertycaps

Inspired to make a "Terrapin to Last" 1977-89 studio CDr mix for the car. Avoiding the many clunkers along the way and adding the many very decent studio bonus tracks on the new CDs might make it worth while. It's an area/era i've honestly only very briefly listened. Doubt i'll include any Brent numbers, tbh. Any advice will be well received. Wish me luck.

11. libertycaps

That 30T 1991 show does look very tasty. Might grab it a la carte soonish.

notesofachord and ianuaditis like this.
  12. notesofachord

Agreed. IMO, Radiohead in the '00s/'10s > Radiohead in the '90s. Not a popular opinion, but...

Mansley and mmthmj like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I prefer 5/19/77 myself, along with 5/22, but I know a lot of people agree with you.

adamos likes this.
  14. wavethatflag

This is interesting. I'm interested in this above statement of yours.

Allow me to disagree. If you ask me, Thom Yorke has let go of a lot of the mystery and aloofness, so to speak. The first two times I saw them, on the Hail To The Thief tour and then at Outside Lands in 2007, the mystique was out in full force.

But the second time I saw them at Outside Lands, Thom was so happy to be on stage, and he kept expressing gratitude to the crowd. And like that the mystique was dispelled for me. And, maybe as a result, they got a so-so review for that show even among those "who know."

When I saw them with @Crispy Rob (my fourth show) not all that long ago, they were awesome again, but in my opinion that was partly a function of seeing them in a venue, the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, that is kind of small for them. But they did play well. In fact, I said to Crispy, "They must record songs live in the studio." They were tight and sounded like the records without the proceedings being rote and boring.

Anyway, I guess I digress, but I would submit that the band in the 90s and early to mid 00s had mystique, and now not so much.

I didn't get Thom Yorke tickets and I guess the Tomorrow's Modern Boxes tour is still ongoing, assuming it ever started, because it's coming here. I got the email from w.a.s.t.e. and had an early heads up, but my bro's wedding is coming up and, well, money. I buy a good amount of concert tickets anyway, and there's only so much to go around.

But if the Thom tickets are still available somehow closer to the show, I might go. I'll probably go.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    budwhite likes this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I’ve never been before, but just pulled the trigger this morning on tickets to see Ween do their country album at the Ryman with several of the old Nashville pros they recorded it with. I could not resist and have not used much vacation time in way too long...

Mansley, rockinlazys, adamos and 4 others like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

8/16/91. I had to be convinced that they hadn’t already played the second set during set break.

adamos, US Blues, KCWhistle and 5 others like this.
  17. wavethatflag

A few people, including you, have told me about the Ween wagon, but I have yet to hop on it. Going to the Ryman in and of itself is a good idea, though. It's one of those venues, I imagine.

You could go to Third Man records and record your voice in the booth like Neil!

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. wavethatflag

I'll listen to some GD weekend and report back to make up for my above non-GD posts. I haven't listened to the new Dave's yet.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think Radiohead as a recording band was best from the Bends (‘95) through 2000 or so (although I like Hail to the Thief more than most), but has continued to mostly be very good in the studio. King of Limbs was their least interesting album but those songs worked better live, and their latest was quite good.

I didn’t see them live until 2001 but they’ve never disappointed me the 5 or 6 times I’ve seen them, and the Thom solo (or Atoms for Peace) shown at the Fox several years ago was also terrific (second encore Joy Division cover was a cool surprise). I picked tickets for his show at Bill Graham Civic this morning.

20. notesofachord

To be fair, you could say much the same thing about the Grateful Dead. They had less mystique after the hiatus. If I may, I edited your post below to prove my point:

21. wavethatflag

That's wild, wacky stuff. A+ for effort.:righton:

I guess all acts repeat that pattern, in different ways. And here I thought it was just Radiohead!

Familiarity breeding contempt, and so on.

adamos, Crispy Rob, mmthmj and 2 others like this.
  22. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I'd actually agree with this. That was the one point during the show where I went, huh?

US Blues, mmthmj and ianuaditis like this.
  23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I didn't know until this day that the JRAD logo is a Radiohead logo with Stealie/Dancing Bear accoutrements.

DrLunchbox, mmthmj and wavethatflag like this.
  24. wavethatflag

I think Deadmau5 also kind of ripped off the Radiohead logo.

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

And JRAD’s bass player is usually Ween’s bass player although it is possible a Nashville cat will be subbing for him at the Ryman.

Anyway, to get less tangentially on topic, I am listening to The Other One from 5/24/74 and it is pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

budwhite likes this.