The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Well, this one has this driveway sewn up tight:

jazz_case and Archtop like this.
  2. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Six Bachelors, Archtop and bzfgt like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

In the pre-internet days, I always heard it as "Went round the back door, tell you the reason why/Back door's the way you do things on the sly"

bzfgt likes this.
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

On
    On the Amazon subtitles watching LST it said "Catch a policeman..."

I knew even that had to be wrong.

bzfgt likes this.
  5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I also listened to that 9/19/70 Star yesterday and the middle section gets to me but not to the extent it does for others. Plus I’ve only listened to it 3-4 times!!

ianuaditis, bzfgt and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Hearing the 9/19/70 Darkness>China Cat jam in NFA for the first time was one of the happiest moments of my life.

More proof that God loves me and wants me to be happy.

7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Just about right. The 5/4 & 5/7 are definitely the weaker sisters.

Now the April Stars I love all of them. I know the 4/8 & 4/24 are the most famously great ones but 4/14, 4/17 & 4/29 are all great in their own ways. 4/17 might be my favorite show from the tour that I’ve heard in full & I love that Dark Star dearly.

8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I haven't listened to that very much, but I just pulled it up and saw my notes from who knows when over the past 5-6 years: 25:00-Let it Grow jam. Wha? o_O Sure enough, by about 25:20, there it is. I don't recall this being discussed here before, but maybe I'm just so late to the party that everyone's already forgotten about it.

LucaB, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I’m a sucker for that piercing tone from Garcia.
    Plus the cymbal (gong) scraping sounds.

sami, ianuaditis, hoggydoggy and 3 others like this.
  10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The May 1972 Dark Stars are all quite amazing. I'll vote for Rotterdam, May 11, simply because there's more of it. Munich, May 18, probably has the weirdest-sounding meltdown/space section. Phil's bass in that section sounds like waves of low-frequency rumbles echoing through underwater caverns.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Not so fast...

I read "eastman" on the 'net somewhere a long time ago. Look at this: Internet Archive Forums: Re: On the Road Again

"I don't know what the Grateful Dead say. I always thought it was natural born easy, which just sounded cool. But from the way Furry Lewis and other old bluesmen sang it, I think it's "natural born eastman", meaning one for whom being an eastman, a pimp, comes easy. He doesn't have to work. Also why he wants her out on the road."

So here we probably have a case of Weir (yet again) messing with the lyrics of the original song, assuming he's singing "easy."

Here's some stuff about what "eastman" probably meant to old Delta bluesman, and it actually states that "easy" is actually the misheard lyric: BOISVERT'S EPHEMERAL JOURNAL OF CURIOSITIES: Natural Born Eastmen Don't Have to Work...

So I think there is a genuine controversy here, at least.

Edit: Here the song Natural Born Eastman by Furry Lewis, granted it's not "On The Road Again," but clearly the term is, um, an actual term: https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Born-Eastman/dp/B072MR7NQL

Edit 2: Dead.net lists the lyric as "eastman": On The Road Again | Grateful Dead
    But, at the end of the entry they point up the controversy as to what is actually being sung.

I like eastman.

LucaB, frightwigwam, Monroro and 5 others like this.
  12. Archtop

Watching/listening to that with the 4/17/72 Dark Star going on was quite the experience.

adamos and bzfgt like this.
  13. notesofachord

I had this to say about it back in November 2017, following my second listen:

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Does anyone know what guitar he was using on 9/19/70? If I ever knew, I can’t recall now.

sami, trd, ianuaditis and 1 other person like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I came around to the view that it probably is Eastman in the upthread discussion between then and now.

bzfgt, lucan_g, trd and 1 other person like this.
  16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

the 61 Gibson Les Paul (SG) is what he seemed to have from 5/70 on to the end of the year.

Six Bachelors, RockRoom, sami and 3 others like this.
  17. Archtop

I want to say that we concluded a year or so back that it was the/an SG (did he have more than one? Probably.). It sure sounds and feels like an SG when he streams out those ball-peen hammer riffs around 13:40 of the Chuck Reynolds version on Relisten.

I'm not sure which model Güiro Pig was using at the beginning, but it's likely the same one he used for the 2/13/70 DS. :nyah:

I'd be willing to bet the farm that I read your post and tacked that note in there back in November with the full intention of listening to it and never did. Who knows? I don't remember what I had for dinner.

18. notesofachord

This one:

[​IMG]

The "we're all playing Gibsons" phase of the band.

LucaB, Matthew Tate, Archtop and 3 others like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

But what kind of gyro did Pigpen order after the show? This thread is making me hungry.

20. wavethatflag

When two Deadhead legal minds face off on a point like that, you're gonna end up in a draw 85 percent of the time. :D

But @warewolf95 is actual not a natural born eastman, because he's a "Working Man" Rush style!

bzfgt, trd, jazz_case and 1 other person like this.
  21. notesofachord

Who knows, but I'll guarantee that it was delivered by a gypsy woman.

Six Bachelors and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

He’s more of an Eastbound and Down man

Phoenician, bzfgt, trd and 3 others like this.
  23. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Pigpen is a musical Gyro!!
    (erm, sorry....i'll get me coat....)

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  24. wavethatflag

Jerry Reed!

I almost bought Smokey and the Bandit on Blu-ray the other day. Instead I bought the OOP The Kids Are Alright, because having only the DVD is not enough.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

7-2-71 that's a rip-snorting solo on Sing Me Back Home (courtesy of the TV yellow Les Paul Special, which he played here and at the Yale Bowl, and maybe one or two other places in Summer of 71 (though there's also the Sunburt LP with the mini humbuckers he's depicted playing at BCT in August.)

adamos and Crispy Rob like this.