The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Yeah, the 5/23/72 DS is pretty greasy in the middle there. But with about a minute and a half left, they slip into this really loose but somehow structured jam that wraps everything up quite nicely, suggesting a Wharf Rat that gets vetoed by Jerry in a rather haphazard entry into Morning Dew.

This segment is always great (and Bobby McGee is a cowboy tune where the horse is a truck). Perhaps no more so than on 9/28/72 wherein Bobby McGee emerges from a steaming cauldron of emulsified protoplasm.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The first set is marvelous. The second is pretty uneventful for my taste.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Right, that was you!!!!
    I admit I get a bit lost sometimes when "faces" change.

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Wow, what an aggressive sounding "Estimated Prophet"!! That's '78 for you. Not exactly chilled-out.

Phoenician, ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. notesofachord

Now it's "Eyes of the World" time and that disco hi-hat beat has returned. The tempo is super speedy.

DISCO EYES!!

[​IMG]

6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Boy, them were the good ol’ days.

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Also in the 4/12/78 video.

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I dig how they were able to weave "Stayin' Alive" in to the intro to "Big River " (4/24/78)

9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I remember it well. My point, my dear fellow, was that since you're now so inconstant with the avatars, perhaps you need a little nudge because it seems like Mac is settling in....

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. notesofachord

Back to Providence '78 (5/14/78).

After the hot "Disco Eyes", "Rhythm Devils" is quite uneventful - which is too bad because I like a lot of the '78 Drums that I've heard. NFA starts off really slow and kind of continues in that vein. In fact, it's sort of a "slow burn" rendition. I dig it. It put me in a nice, relaxed headspace. Phil plays really well throughout. The GDTRFB that follows is also chilled out for the first four minutes until that loud, obnoxious '78 sound comes back when they solo around 4:30. The energy is back! Fun stuff.

Update: Jerry plays a killer solo at 2:30 on Around & Around.

11. notesofachord

I'm starting to come around to this Spring '78 > Spring '77 opinion that is frequently promoted around here. It's nice to live in a world where we can enjoy both, of course.

12. notesofachord

5/14/78

Bob's slide guitar-work on NFA gets a 7.2/10. Very tasteful. On US Blues though it rates a 3.6/10. Not so tasteful.

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I still prefer '77, but '78 has gone up a lot in my estimation. It's amazing how much a difference 1 year made, even 12-13 years in.

trd, wavethatflag, adamos and 3 others like this.
  14. notesofachord

Spring '77 is not as adventurous, loose, wild or crazy, but there is a crystalline beauty to it that is undeniable. The playing is tight and yet could still build into fantastic crescendos of improvisational brilliance.

15. notesofachord

Message received loud and clear.

Everyone else:

Sorry about the avatar confusion. I know you all thought that we had gotten past that.

16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I’m not a proponent of changing avatars as I figured out ONCE how to do it on the couple/three discussion boards I’m on - PLUS I stick with my Maneri based theme forever. As much as I love a whole bunch of music, what the great late Round Man represented and represents might be the core of all of it for me.

I’ll never forget the first time I met him and heard him about 20 years ago when he said to me “this music (meaning his music) is gonna be huge”.

Nothing like a 70+ year old mad scientist visionary with a dream.

Not sure how he meant that but he was correct:)

17. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Speaking of avatars, I've changed mine in honor of Miss Littlejeans, whose 17.5 happy and adventurous years came to an end on Thursday. It was unplanned but also unsurprising. Let's just say I appreciate Box of Rain and all those Wake of the Flood songs being so prominent in the PNW box, because I need them right now.

Fall is my favorite season, and after it was in the mid-90s earlier this week it felt great to leave the windows open overnight and actually have to close them this morning because it's so chilly. I think my early autumnal listening is taking shape as follows: Dave's 9, the '74 shows in the PNW box, the next couple E72 shows (5/3 and 5/4), the five October '74 Winterland shows, 5/7/72, and the early November '77 official releases.

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Listening to disc 2 of the Grateful Dead Movie soundtrack. One of my favorite Dead releases. Jeffrey Norman did a marvelous job.

19. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I take comfort in the fact that at least one of us suffers from avatar madness at any given time.

Speaking of madness, I was, um, challenged by some of Vince's stylings on the '90 30 Trips show. Thank God for Bruce.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Aarhus, Denmark, 4/16/72.

1 Truckin' 11:37
    2 Jam 16:32
    3 The Other One 3:32
    4 Me And My Uncle 3:01
    5 The Other One 2:38
    6 Not Fade Away 5:56
    7 Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad 6:32
    8 Not Fade Away 3:06

One of the best segments of the best tour. Enough said.

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

As I just posted in the 73-73 thread (oops), 5/23/72 has a lot going for it.

Dark Star
    Morning Dew
    He's Gone
    Sugar Magnolia
    Comes A Time
    Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad
    Not Fade Away
    Hey Bo Diddley
    Not Fade Away

As I was listening to this last night, there is a segment labeled on Dead.net as Drums in the middle of Dark Star (cds are not tracked that way). This was much more of a Phil/Billy duet, not sure there was much drum solo at all.

This is the perfect example of the Dark Star Corollary. The bass/drum section is Dark Star. If Phil had stopped playing, would it deserve its own track listing as "drums"? Clearly not.

For those who may have missed it, Dark Star -> Drums -> Dark Star shall be considered as one single track of Dark Star. Hence, 5/11/72 Dark Star is the longest single song they ever played at 48:08 (despite the PNW label suggesting that Playing In The Band 5/21/74 is the longest at 46:59).

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It's actually a bit longer than that, because set 2 of 5/11/72 is one of the handful of places in the E72 box that runs fast

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Absolutely correct, the drum break is part of "Dark Star".
    Incidentally, I can't remember the show or the track now, but there's a short drum break that's not indexed somewhere in the PNW box. Goes to show Dave L hasn't got a solid criteria when cataloguing drum solos.

24. notesofachord

However, the 26-minute Truckin' from 6/22/73 probably should've been tracked as Truckin'>jam.

Matthew Tate, warewolf95 and Rne like this.
  25. notesofachord

My condolences. May this glorious music provide you with comfort at this time.

:hugs: