The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

In my opinion, the box is a great way to hear everything they released commercially from the get-go through Europe '72 and Bear's Choice. People will quibble about various mixes and masterings and whatnot, but here's what the band put out from '67 until mid-1973 plus a generous slice of ur-Dead and a bunch of bonus tracks. The basic Grateful Dead early canon in one convenient little black casket, and it tends to be a steal.

2. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I like that Bob version of Dire Wolf and those 3 jams on Aoxomoxoa.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and trd like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Do you have 5/24/72? If so, check out China Cat. Bobby's fine up until just after the vocals end. By 3:15, his tuning is slipping and by 4:00 it's a mess. He manages to clean it up by the start of Rider, though.

As for Pig, he tended to sing in a blues style, so throwing a #9 over a DOM7 chord (or adding other blue notes) can sound a bit "off" from one perspective but it's perfectly acceptable.

4. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I see you Aoxomoxoa, and raise you Anthem of the Sun.

Or should I just show the Live/Dead in my hand and take the pot?

Note to self: ALWAYS take “the pot.”

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The question was in regards to studio recordings. ;)

At least I'm enjoying the Kind...

Guy Smiley likes this.
  6. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Ah... Well, Anthem HALF counts then. The rest is just up in smoke.

US Blues likes this.
  7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"Bird Song" from Manor Downs, Austin, TX 1982 currently spinning. Lovely.

Crispy Rob, adamos, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"Comes a Time" from Cal Expo '86 (5/3/86). Wonderful.

Now, "Morning Dew" from MSG, 9/18/87.

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

IWT!

Woo!

I think that's the first time in almost 2.5 years I've ever gotten to say that on this thread.

10. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

More jams tonight, but fewer of them.

Terrapin 11/6/77
    PITB 11/30/73
    Jam in need of a name 12/2/73
    Dark Star 4/8/72
    TIFTOO 11/14/71
    The Eleven 2/28/69
    NFA 9/3/77

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Various 1976 June/July jams. The first Travis Bean sounded real good.
    And once again, it would make for a great compilation.

Right now Boston 6/11-12. Great Wharf Rat>Comes a Time

Crispy Rob, notesofachord and adamos like this.
  12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

@Archtop, you're right - the Cow Palace '74 Weather Report Suite - specifically the final instrumental section - is excellent. Jerry seems to play fewer notes than he sometimes would in '74 Let It Grows and it makes for quite a thoughtful performance up until the the final bit without much power but, by the final part of Let It Grow on that night, they really hit their stride. They burn it up. Good recommendation. I know it's one you mention not infrequently.

13. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I hadn't heard the original Dear Mr Fantasy in decades, but it happened this weekend. Strong song, with meatier guitar work than I remembered. So I am prompted to wonder if any of the Dead versions are any good. I'm a 72-79 listener and not a Brent fan so I've never paid the track any attention.

Meanwhile, I don't believe I've ever given 10/18/72 a proper listen, so that's the mornings project.

Crispy Rob, US Blues, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  14. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I think it’s one of the best, if not the best Brent sung tunes. His voice fits very well and the usual placement of Dear Mr. Fantasy post-space is welcome.

15. US Blues

Happy Birthday Bob Weir!

71 years young.

16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Heading out for another 3 week tour sometime this afternoon.

Most likely going to Texas. Been in a Phish mood all week, but the Dead seem to work a little better as truck driving music.

No idea what's gonna get played but I guarantee something will be played! :)

17. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

You’ve left the door wide open for suggestion!

Go for the 1990 Berlin shows at the Internationales Congress Centrum!

ianuaditis and warewolf95 like this.
  18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Good idea. I've only heard them the one time and have no memory at all of it. Here's my review from a few years back :p

10/19/90 - Berlin, GER **

The show starts swimmingly with a FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC Good Times. Not kidding, this might be THE BEST ONE YET. Set one is FREAKING AWESOME. EVERYTHING is a PRIMO version. Shakedown, Rooster, BEW, you name it, it's kick ass tonight!!!! Set two begins with a SCORCHING Scar>Fire! The energy is through the roof! This is tropical paradise!!! We get to cool down with a lovely LLR followed by Terrapin. Unfortunately, LLR sucked ALL the energy out of the boys! They are falling asleep during Terrapin! :( Thankfully, after their break for D/S, the boys come ROARING back out with ONE OF THE HOTTEST THE OTHER ONES EVER HOLY S### THEY ARE EXPLODING G## ####! This segues perfectly into one AWESOME Wharf Rat!!! With Around/Around and THE MOST PERFECT SUGAR MAG EVER, the main show comes to a spectacular end. The Baby Blue encore is just the icing on this cake of gold. :D :D :D :D :D

*(I guess I really dug the show because I deleted about 20 instances of the f word :p )

10/20/90 - Berlin, GER

Set one tonight is great. The band seem a little "unsure" tonight and take a few songs to settle in. The energy is HIGH tonight, but it's easily a step below the previous shows. That being said, FOTD is EXCEPTIONAL tonight! DANG THIS ONE IS AWESOME! BT Wind is really great too! BT Wind is damn EXPLOSIVE! Let It Grow is freaking KILLER! 15 MINUTES OF F###! HORNSBY DOES AN AWESOME SOLO JAM AT THE END OF IT FOR LIKE FIVE MINUTES! This long 75-minute first set comes to a rocking end with Box Of Rain and OMSN. Started poor ended amazing! :D A stunningly gorgeous Eyes begins set two in perfect manner. Aww yes. It's not the greatest Eyes ever, but it does the job and it segues PERFECTLY into a hot Samson. A lovely Ship Of Fools brings us down next before a 18 minute Dark Star. Unfortunately Jerry sounds very tired and the song portion is totally butchered by bad timing. It never really goes anywhere. They try to go all deep-space, but the plain truth is that it's just not a very good Star. :( Th boys sound refreshed after D/S though and this strong B+ gig comes to a close with a pretty good TS>NFA combo. :) Not the best gig, but a good amount of highlights make it worth hearing.

wavethatflag, adamos and Freebird like this.
  19. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Both of the Berlin '90 shows were favorites from that tour back in the day, both for myself (on tape) and for my buddy who went on that tour. IIRC this was a smaller-than-usual venue. The second night was one of my most-listened to shows from that tour.

Erik B., Crispy Rob and Freebird like this.
  20. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

And 8/23 is one of those nights in the Primal Dead blast furnace, my favorite night of the run.

Noah’s commentary is well worth reading:

Grateful Dead Listening Guide: 1968 August 23 - Shrine Auditorium

Crispy Rob and Dahabenzapple like this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

August 1971.

Get back Truckin' on!

22. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That show gets a fair bit of negative press (and perhaps rightly so in the bigger picture) but the WRS is a good example of why I tend to drill down to sections, segments and yes, even moments when I listen. I have that version of WRS right up there with the 6/28/74 version (minus the ~30-minute out jam, of course) in terms of tightness and intensity. You've now mentioned it and I've mentioned it before, but particular mention of the final jam, starting at 11:48 is in order. In there, Jerry and Phil get into a melodic sparring match from 12:54-13:20 that's just about as good as anything they ever did (I've successfully channeled my inner Dave hyperbole, apparently).

23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

10-19-71 - U of Minnesota - Keith's debut, I've had this tape for a long time (also some rehearsals,) since maybe 96 or so.

While there is some stuff Keith does that works quite well, a lot of the organ is strange and it's easy to see why he didn't play it much. Also unlike the Summer 71 debuts, these songs all have their final arrangements (if not their final lyrics.) The rehearsal in the interim definitely made a difference.

This show, apart from Keith's debut, is notable for being the first Playin' in the Band with any kind of jam. You can hear Garcia already playing the minor key against the Main Ten theme, which is really a 'neutral' riff with respect to major or minor, but in the body of the song is harmonized with the major chord. It's nothing profound, but as a birth of sorts it was neat to hear.

There's also an excellent Other One, building on what they were already doing in the summer, and a very effective Uncle John's Band>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA closer (with Garcia playing the part of Pigpen in the NFA reprise.)

I also listened to Brent's debut recently, it struck me as just as average show, but this one had a bit more of interest. It may just be down to the difference between 71 GD and 79.

24. US Blues

Keith never had to learn anything, he just started playing in the band.

ianuaditis and Rne like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I think that what Keith had to learn was to deal with the fact of being part of a band with big audiences. Sometimes I believe he never managed it quite well, even though you can't tell it by his performances.