The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    I started another crappy day with a perfect álbum, bonus tracks and all (that 10/4/70 "Uncle John's Band" is absolutely amazing).

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

17 October:

1974- Part of Movie Week, the Scarlet Begonias is not officially released but it is a "must hear" version. All of set II is very much worth your attention.

1983- Lake Placid. The last GD show I went to that was not sold out. Molson Export Ale on tap, show sponsored by the US Olympic Committee, when the lights went off the ushers were shining their flashlights on the stairs so the people running down to the floor would not hurt themselves. Autumn in Upstate NY is picturesque and this day was no exception. And the music was rather good too.

[​IMG]

3. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

One of my favorite early 80's shows and one that is well-deserving of official release some day.

4. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Zipping up my flame suit as I post this but November is my favorite month from 1972. A reasonable argument can be made for April, May, August, September & October but Nov really clicks for me as peak!

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

5-7-79 - Lafayette College - a good, high energy AUD.

The first set is notable for the near complete absence of jams - Tennessee Jed is the closest you get, though the set is otherwise well-performed.

Set 2 makes up for it - Garcia opens up the set with Shakedown, then Bobby follows up with Jack Straw. Stagger Lee is a brief respite before the jam starts with Estimated Prophet, which gets a big hand from the crowd (I didn't hear it on this show, but on a previous show from this tour, you could hear fans calling out requests for 'California.')

Brent adds a new dimension, and he takes a long lead in Estimated, though I'm beginning to see @Dahabenzapple's point - he is a very busy player especially on piano. A standard (read: breakneck speed) Eyes of the World follows. It looks like Cipollina sits in on the post-drums segment, those usually sound much better than the setlist reads.

Last night I listened to 10-21-71, which is Keith's first foray at Dark Star. I was reminded of dahabenzapple's comments on Brent because Keith is up front in the mix and very busy himself. He plays some very nice jazzy stuff in the initial jam, and features heavily in the buildup to the fast Feeling Groovy jam that ultimately gives way to Sittin' on Top of the World. This one is on my list to listen to again.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Me too, flamey. November 1972 may be my favorite month of GD music period.

7. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

The 10/21/71 Star has always been a favorite of mine ever since hearing it a few years ago. Keith sounds great, especially on the aforementioned Feelin Groovy segment. Real barrel-house piano type sound.

8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

The last of the gay desperados, The Grateful Dead...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

5/19/74.. China Cat is very perky. Jerry is really laying into the lead, truly ahead of the beat. I really like this mix. Imagine if the mic set up was capable of capturing the full range of the vocals. I'm curious if it sounded better live o_O

KCWhistle, adamos, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Chosen at Random

Playing In the Band
    November 22, 1972
    Municipal Auditorium - Austin, TX

KCWhistle, Lil' Brian, dgwint and 4 others like this.
  11. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Because it's closer to '73. :)

12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I might be going soft on Dark Stars, but tonight I think that 5/23/72 is as good as the April stuff. Worthy of being in April, one might say.

Relatively late in the game, Jerry plays a little bit of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. I've heard him do this numerous times but never remember afterward what it was in, so I note it here.

13. US Blues

The first time I heard that quote I was driving East on I-80 in Pennsylvania, en route from Colorado to New York in the summer of 1987.

I just thought I'd share that piece of pure randomness.

KCWhistle, adamos, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  14. bzfgt

Yeah but what were you listening to? You mean that very one?

US Blues likes this.
  15. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Happy Birthday Bobby!

np 2/17/79 Lazy Lightning

16. US Blues

Yes, that very show.

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

5/19/74.. The jam after Let it Blow the Lyrics and the ensuing Wharf Jam that follows are just so good. Very loose, languid. Oh dear, this Peggy is sleeeeeeeeeepy. Put in the context of the frenetic intensity of the previous 20 minutes, it's a nice example of their ability to change speeds as needed, and confidently so.

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

He wore that one out over the years. I believe I recently heard it in a 94 show. Definitely heard it from 91. Also that is the best Dark Star of the tour for me, though I expect to have some new rankings before too long.

19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Show 4 of the PNW Box.

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

He played it during Space at Cal Expo 8/6/89 IIRC.

rockinlazys, jazz_case, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That's Bill Graham right!? But from what show?

adamos likes this.
  22. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

I believe they were before the picture discs for the first two albums came out. The run-out groove inscriptions I have match the US counterparts. Hope that helps!

vudicus likes this.
  23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

24. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Yes, on 2/28/69 it’s the intro at the start of the second set.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    budwhite, KeninDC and ianuaditis like this.
  25. bzfgt

Yeah, maybe I'm too April-centric. That is a great one.

dgwint and ianuaditis like this.