The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Lady With A Fan is all about the Sailor and the Soldier, a perfect choice for Veteran's Day. :righton:

budwhite, mmthmj, JRM and 4 others like this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

11-12-71, I started this after midnight last not, not even realizing the date.

Another short second set, they should've watched the clock more, especially at some of these southern shows, but they at least manage to fit an excellent That's it for the Other One>Big RxR Blues combo in.

Mansley, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Beautiful. I used to walk by this on a regular basis when it was still closed, amazing what they did with the place.

trd, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  4. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Lest We Forget - We Are Grateful, Veterans.

[​IMG]

5. whoa, whoa, too much information.

I'm hoping that wasn't projected on a video screen, or otherwise recorded for posterity.

Smokin Chains and uzn007 like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Other One > Big River came into circulation recently straight from a MSR > DAT source. Excellent stuff!

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I like the new @JRM avatar--it makes this thread look cooler in the listings.

Continuing on with FW69, Feb. 27, DARK STAR. The '69 Dark Stars are the most authentic, being both the darkest and the star-ie-est, or do I mean the most star?

Still reeling from Bob's assertion that Cornell '77 never actually happened.

Hey, I read CDs Are Dying Three Times as Fast as Vinyl Is Growing. There's a Zen koan in there, somewhere.

8. wavethatflag

It's too bad this backdrop isn't just a tad more psychedelic.
    Wow, maybe I should check out that Van Halen/Doors cover band in mid November!

9. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

I’ve fallen in love with Dick’s Picks 29.

He’s Gone > Drums > The Other One > Comes A Time

It’s got the magic.

Mansley, warewolf95, adamos and 10 others like this.
  10. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I'm not a huge Patti collector (prob have 20-25 shows), but I'm surprised I haven't come across a recording of her set.

11. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

She also played the Orpheum that evening.Pretty sure both shows are out there.

12. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

She was repeatedly zipping/unzipping her fly as she told this story (which seemed to go on forever).

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Love this!!!

Mansley, warewolf95, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

“At the Fillmore, the Pranksters' house band stands off in a corner, playing the blues. There's a chubby biker dude in leather mouthing a harmonica and singing 'I'm a Hog for You; a bass player with a blond Fauntleroy hairdo; the boy--or is it a girl?--playing guitar; a straight-looking kid on drums; and the lead guitarist, whose thick black crinkly pageboy wobbles like a dime-store wig as he rocks over his strings. Wearing a polka-dot shirt and a palmino vest, he sings the refrain of a Reverend Gary Davis song over and over: Death don't, have no mercy...in this land...” Carol Brightman, Sweet Chaos

Grateful Dead Live at Fillmore Auditorium on 1966-01-08 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive

15. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

That’s just about my favorite Comes A Time...

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I just read that book a month ago or so. It was pretty good, the take of an outsider with insider access (her sister Candace did the lights.)

According to her, Hunter wrote 'Ship of Fools' about the band and their scene c.73 or so.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and JRM like this.
  18. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Howdy folks, it's been a few weeks since I've been able to check in on things. Started a new job and had some real life things keeping me away.

Anyway, after a few weeks break I was back diving into the GOGD with Dave's 28 (loved it, I appreciated the show a lot more this time than when I previously heard it) and being able to hear September 11, 1973 on XM this weekend while I was with family. I'd never heard that particular show before, led me to a few thoughts:

1. We need a box of the horn shows. Martin Fierro was so fired up on "WRS", that song pushed a lot of jazz loving buttons for me and I'd love to hear more of those moments.
    2. The set one ending "PITB" was really nice, if not quite as exploratory as one might hope.
    3. That "Dark Star", exquisite. I loved how it was mostly this relatively subdued, jazzy thing before Phil came in and just decimated everything - nice set up for the post-apocalyptic "Dew" scenario.
    4. Speaking of "Dew", shame about that cut. Rough. XM just cut it right off, didn't include the AUD patch that's out there. I've never really heard the Dead channel before, is that typical? Do they usually just stick to SBD sources?

19. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Took a road trip/gig trip to Arizona this past summer, and one of the discs I brought with me (I tried to grab stuff I hadn't listened to in a long while) was Hundred Year Hall. That just ticked all the right boxes.

20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Something else that occurred to me on the same trip... I know it's somewhat common to disparage Donna, and to be quite honest, her ad-libs on "Playing" used to bug me, but not anymore.. It's literally 10 seconds out of a 10-20 minute song. Big deal! :D

21. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

but some of us had to hear it night after night :cool:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    trd and CybrKhatru like this.
  22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Those were the days!

KCWhistle, adamos, Crispy Rob and 7 others like this.
  23. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

"At their last show at Trouper's hall, Weir managed to rip out the seat of his pants. Lacking underwear or a replacement for his trousers, he spent the night facing the audience, sidestepping over to Tim Scully to tell him how to adjust his sound. It turned out not to be so bad. That night he also met a Playboy Playmate, a cordial redhead, and she didn't seem to mind the state of his wardrobe. Finally Rock lined up a booking back home at the Longshoreman's Hall that would pay them the respectable sum of $375. It required no persuasion for everyone to pack up and flee Los Angeles." Dennis McNally, A Long Strange Trip

Grateful Dead Live at Trouper's Hall on 1966-03-25 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive

Billy_Sunday, Mansley, adamos and 6 others like this.
  24. wavethatflag

This is McNally as historian, not publicist; he wasn't with the organization until later, like 1984. He was a 'head before that though. He's a good band historian.

I'm not sure why I'm pointing this out. Maybe because it reads like he's an observer.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  25. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member