The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Try 13 December 1990 in Denver.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  2. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Per Jesse Jarnow and his determined listening schedule, the first "Now we play for Clive" rendition was 11.13.78 in Boston:
    jesse jarnow on Twitter

3. US Blues

Brent dropped in a Peter & the Wolf quote during Playing In The Band on 18 October 1984 in Joisey.

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

n.b Jarnow says 'silver' in that tweet, on 1-11-79 Weir clearly says 'acid.'

I will have to look at my notes for 78, that's definitely the kind of thing I would have noted, as long as I was sitting and not doing something else at that moment (I somehow missed the (probably) last ever 'sweet susie' on Loser.)

What's his 'determined listening schedule' mean?

Crispy Rob and jazz_case like this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That's the one I was thinking of. So not Estimated at all.

ianuaditis and uzn007 like this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I believe what Garcia played in 91 was 'the cat.'

Also I knew that mentioning 1-11-79 was the 'US Blues' signal.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  7. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Ah! Gotcha - in this rare instance I skimmed over the "acid" content.

Determined listening schedule is a nod to his twitter feed on which he details GoGD performances 40 years ago that day.

budwhite, KCWhistle and ianuaditis like this.
  8. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm looking forward to receiving this. I need to see it again in thrilling 1080p, and then the bonus content documenting UK weirdness!

I emphasize UK because up until a little while ago, I thought the Hollywood festival was in L.A. somewhere.

10. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

And the 1972-07-18 Dark Star is even better!

I like 7-26, it's lovely and kinda sleepy and has a very nice return to the second verse (rare in '72)....but I think 7-18 clobbers it. I don't think I'd put 7-26 even in the "top 20" Dark Stars of 1972. Not that there should ever be a consensus about these things...they're all somebody's favorites!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Crispy Rob, budwhite, Archtop and 3 others like this.
  11. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Dig the Pig. July 02, 1967. El Camino Park, Palo Alto, CA.
    [​IMG]

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I am now listening to 28 February 1969. This is the format I use to record the date at the top of the finest vellum when I write letters to friends.

I don't think @davmar77 was at this show. But if he was, the story will go something like this: "My brother got us tickets at the last minute from the band. After the show, my brother interviewed Jerry for 15 minutes, and then the two of us sat down with him and we wrote a very early version of 'Eyes Of The World.'" :D

13. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

I think that bit on 10/30/73 is part of Phil's little jazz jam that shows up all over the place in 1973...
    Grateful Dead Guide: The Proto-Solomon Jazz Jam

14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

NP 7/3/66, the first selection in the 30 Trips box. An early Wes Wilson poster promoted this lineup of SF heavy hitters, with Love playing in between the GD sets on the third day. Recorded by Bear.

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, budwhite, adamos and 2 others like this.
  15. bzfgt

Still listening to DS 1972-07-26. I'm going to listen to 7-18 next.

US Blues likes this.
  16. US Blues

Actually it was the Peter & The Wolf mention, cause IWT that night in Jersey in '84.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

LOL I was waiting for someone else to chime in! But I wasn't going to futz with someone's newfound favorite Dark Star. That and I have probably been running at the mouth about 7/18/72 a bit too much lately. It's one of those where decades later I remember exactly where and when it hit me over the head.

18. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

How'd ya know? :righton:

19. US Blues

14 November 1978- Boston Music Hall. It's not often that the post-Drums sequence of a '78 show has the big energy, but this night is one such show.

...Space > Wharf Rat > Not Fade Away > Goin' Down The Road, Feeling Bad! e: Johnny B. Goode

OMG you guys!! The NFA burns with intensity, Donna Jean is on top of things vocally, and the Boston faithful respond in kind. But it's the second set finale, GDTRFB, that sets the Music Hall ablaze. Jerry is energized, articulate and in charge. So much so that they wisely end the set here, and the roar of the crowd on this beautiful audience recording is all one needs to know IT happened. Goose bump city! I remember this sound, it's branded into my DNA. Holy smokes!

uzn007, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  20. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Has Spring 1990-So Glad You Made It been on vinyl before or is this new?

https://www.amazon.com/Spring-1990-...&qid=1542324070&sr=1-1&keywords=grateful+dead

Friday Music is pleased to announce the exclusive 180 Gram Audiophile 4 LP Box Set of the Grateful Dead's Spring 1990- So Glad You Made It. This ltd. ed. set is a treasure trove of highlights from 6 of their finest shows from their legendary Spring 1990 tour. Filled with 20 unreleased gems, Dead classics & rarities abound in this lengthy audiophile dream box. Tracks include "Loser," "Scarlet Begonias," "Estimated Prophet," "Playing In The Band" & The Rolling Stones' ""The Last Time." The LP box & labels also feature the artwork of Wes Lang, including a LP art insert suitable for framing.

Absolutely one of the finest set of recordings capturing this iconic band live and righteous in front of their Spring 1990 audience. Hats off to the band....mega talented riffs abound on the long jams like Scarlet Begonias and Playing In The Band....plus two Rolling Stones classics revisited with The Last Time and It's All Over Now.... This was a fun one for us all to work on and I think fans will love the way it sounds and resonates in the audiophile vinyl format! Attics Of My Life and Morning Dew show that tremendous feeling of brotherhood on the stage that the Dead were known for. Great Stuff INDEED! --Joe Reagoso-Friday Music

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. bzfgt

Yeah this sounds great, I'm about 11 minutes in and it's a completely different kind of Dark Star, more manic. I think you're seriously underrating 7-26 though!

22. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Listening to the 1st set from 11/17/71 Austin TX on TIGDH on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and notesofachord like this.
  23. bzfgt

US Blues likes this.
  24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I like 1969/'70 Dark Stars more anyway.

:hide:

25. bzfgt

Thread killer

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.