The Great Unreleased COMPILATIONS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Okay. The famous unreleased albums have been discussed ad nauseam. But there have also been a large number of unreleased archival projects that failed to be officially released. Let's look at the myriad vault releases that were promised (or at least, credibly rumored) but never materialized.

As for the parameters of this thread, let's exclude straight reissues that failed to materialize on CD. As disappointing as the absence of, say, BUCKINGHAM NICKS or Steve's masterings of the Beatles catalog (damn!) may be, let's limit the discussion to sets that present the catalog in new ways, whether it was just original sequencing or the addition of previously unreleased material. So maybe it's single disc reissues. Or 2CD anthologies that promised bonus tracks. Or even box sets that promised scores of unheard songs.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

McCartney Cold Cuts/Hot Hits
    McCartney rarities box

wayneklein, Folknik, RandyP and 3 others like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There was going to be a box set for The Idle Race that contained all kinds of previously unreleased material. Never came to be...

There was also going to be a reissue of ELO's Eldorado with all kinds of stuff unearthed after the 2001 remaster...never happened.

wayneklein and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. DeeThomaz

To start with, let's look at David Ackles' THERE IS A RIVER, a 2CD set from Rhino that was going to present his first 3 albums-- with bonus material. It was supposed to be released back in 2007, but was apparently cancelled due to the objections of his estate. Promotional CD-Rs exist but command high prices. (Recent rumors have suggested it may finally get an official release, but nothing solid yet.)

CD 1. The Road To Cairo
    2. When Love Is Gone
    3. Sonny Come Home
    4. Blue Ribbons
    5. What A Happy Day
    6. Down River
    7. Laissez-Faire
    8. Lotus Man
    9. His Name Is Andrew
    10. Be My Friend
    11. Main Line Saloon
    12. That's No Reason To Cry
    13. Candy Man
    14. Out On The Road
    15. Cabin On The Mountain
    16. Woman River
    17. Inmates Of The Institution
    18. Subway To The Country
    19. About "Subway To The Country"

CD 2. American Gothic
    2. Love's Enough
    3. Ballad Of The Ship Of State
    4. One Night Stand
    5. Oh, California!
    6. Another Friday Night
    7. Family Band
    8. Midnight Carousel
    9. Waiting For The Moving Van
    10. Blues For Billy Whitecloud
    11. Montana Song
    12. There Is A River
    13. I'm Only Passing Through
    14. One Night Stand [Single Version]
    15. Be My Friend [Single Version]
    16. Hold Me In Your World
    17. Such A Woman
    18. Old Shoes
    19. The Grave Of God
    20. La Route A Chicago

5. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, more Beatles Anthologies, depending on who you believe...

But outside of that controversial topic, They Might Be Giants announced "Superfueled Freaksickle", a compilation of Elektra-era B-sides that ended up being cancelled. (Around the same time, they mentioned a possible vinyl-only compilation called "Crappy" containing their less than stellar rarities. No idea what that would've included.)

The Bee Gees first announced a compilation called "Love Songs" in 1995, which would've included both old and new tracks. Likewise, their "Gold" album is labeled 'volume 1', but there was never a 'volume 2'.

Ash76, theMess and DeeThomaz like this.
  6. DeeThomaz

Back when Rhino was reissuing the Elvis Costello catalog, there was a rumored released of THE GWENDOLYN LETTERS (which would presumably have consisted of the demos that EC wrote and recorded for Wendy James' debut solo album). It was never confirmed, but it remains a conspicuous gap in their otherwise exemplary reissue campaign of his Columbia & WB catalog, especially as the officially released b-sides from that project remain uncompiled.

EasterEverywhere and RandyP like this.
  7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I think that a guy name Neil Young was talking about a set called Archives Vol. 2.

8. TheLazenby

OH! What about every future volume of the Bee Gees' "Studio Albums" series?

*grumble*

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

rock for kampuchea

CSNY2K - maybe it'll happen now that 1974 finally came out.

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

According to an AC/Dc collectors` site, a compilation titled 12 Of The Best was ready to be released by Albert Records in 1978 but never happened.There are no test pressings but the record sleeves were printed up.I forget the rest of the details.I think they decided to put out the live album instead.

11. TheLazenby

[​IMG]

Let the flaming begin. :)

12. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

13. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Every time I think of this set, it pains me to think that it was struck down. No sense in going into the story in this thread, especially since I know only what most other Miles fans know about it, but this release would have shone a very flattering light on the man's final years. What a pity that it remains unreleased, and apparently always will.

Rfreeman likes this.
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

"Best Of The Beatles" Capitol, 1964:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/unr...les-lp-rare-white-album-promo-monster-auction

Side 1
    • Twist and Shout
    • Love Me Do
    • I Want To Hold Your Hand
    • From Me To You
    • This Boy
    • Roll Over Beethoven
    Side 2
    • Do You Want to Know a Secret
    • Boys
    • Ask Me Why
    • She Loves You
    • You Really Got a Hold On Me
    • Long Tall Sally
    Side 3
    • All My Loving
    • P.S. I Love You
    • Please Please Me
    • Chains
    • Devil In Her Heart
    • Please Mr. Postman
    Side 4
    • Misery
    • Money
    • There's a Place
    • Baby It's You
    • It Won't Be Long
    • All I've Got to Do

[​IMG]

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Wasn't there supposed to be a Vol. 3 in the Immediate reissue series?

16. DeeThomaz

No! The point of this thread is to get into the details of why sets like these have been discarded! However painful (which I certainly understand in regards to the unreleased compilations from my personal favorite artists!).

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wait...there are only 7 unreleased tracks there, excluding some live performances...I agree it's too bad it couldn't be released as anticipated, but are you saying these 7 tracks change the game?

18. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

When they re-released Off the Wall, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous in 2001, they all had bonus material except for the last one due to its length. It was originally supposed to have an entire second disc of bonus material that leaked but has never officially seen the light of day unfortunately. (And sadly, probably never will--you know when they get around to the inevitable Dangerous 25 in two years, those demos and other tracks will likely be tossed aside in favor of useless contemporary remixes). And rumors of 30th and 35th anniversary reissues for Off the Wall have (so far) remained just that.

Soundgarden guitarist Kim Thayil has been talking about a compilation of B-sides since the band broke up in 1997. He still seems gung-ho about the idea, even mentioning an additional set comprised of entirely unreleased material from the band's heyday. I'm not sure if the deluxe Superunknown reissue model superseded this though.

19. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I am saying that the set would have made sense of an era that is undervalued by quite a lot of people. In addition to the seven unreleased tracks (including three cut with Prince), it rounds up stray performances that appeared on soundtracks and other people's albums. It presents a comprehensive, coherent portrait of Miles' final years. It would have forced people to reevaluate the period, for better or worse - I suspect, in many cases, for better.

I could be wrong, but, yes, I think this release would have changed the game, at least to a degree.

20. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

This tells the story better than I could: http://www.miles-beyond.com/lastwordintro.htm.

21. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

It looks like there's at least a dozen unreleased songs on that Miles Davis set...

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I was really surprised there was never a comprehensive b-sides collection for The Verve. Some of their best stuff ended up on CD-singles, and there is still a moderate amount of interest in the band amongst those of us who lived through the Britpop era.

23. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I'm still waiting for "The Singular Adventures Of The Style Council" Greatest Hits Volume 2.........

24. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I was going to say this. I have read that archival releases have been planned, but they keep running into problems getting the band to agree to them. Urban Hymns sold millions of copies, but their house definitely isn't in order. Fingerpointing all around, meanwhile some of their best work languishes on obscure singles.

Rupe33 and Mechanical Man like this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Also overdue for vinyl reissues of their first two albums. I don't do CD's anymore, and I have mp3's of all the b-sides, but if they put a comprehensive vinyl box of b-sides and rarities, I'd be all in. Still play those tracks all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.