The Great USB cable debate poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mindblanking, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I would like that Wireworld PDF much better if there was a BER value in there for their cable and a mass market (but spec compliant) cable. I can't recall any other charts, sorry.

Rolltide likes this.
  2. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

That's the exact problem the John Atkinson of Streophile faced isn't it? Objectively through his measurements he reasoned that there should be no difference between 2 units but subjectively he had a preference that contradicted all the objective results. I don't know how many have been faced with that type of scenario, but at that point you have to pick a side. I don't know what he did in the end but if it was me I would have gone with the subjective preference because I want to be happy at the end of the day, and can't fault others for wanting that also. Thankfully it's never happened to me but I can sympathize, and it's certainly a strong argument for continued civility.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Raylinds likes this.
  3. gloomrider

Would I pick the one that sounded better in spite of the test results? Absolutely. Does this anecdote invalidate the need for objective testing and subjective listening? In my opinion, no.

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

As I see it this must be very common, nearly a rule. There is very little reason why we subjectively should hear objectively, it´s not possible. Subjectively is of course by it´s very nature subjectively, and nothing else. I´m surpriced if he thought this to be odd.

5. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

But has JA ever said this ever happened with USB cables!?

Sure, we can have subjective preferences with more complex systems like speakers where perhaps the device deviates from "ideal" in measurements, but sounds great... But digital USB cables!? As far as I'm aware, he's never measured cables to compare, right?

Rolltide and gloomrider like this.
  6. missan

missan Forum Resident

I would think measuring something about cables is not really going to happen, or is done somewhere?

7. gloomrider

I agree with this. The people who desire the testing will not be able to fund the testing at the level required to counter the predictable challenges that will inevitably come from the cable manufacturers.

I've looked into a BER tester for USB 2. I'm not even sure one exists, though I did find one for USB 1.1. Perhaps something like this could be used, but I lack the technical knowledge to design an appropriate test suite that will withstand scientific scrutiny. Plus, list price is something close to US$200,000!

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

I have not seen any production of USB-cables, but I would assume the testing to be very sparse and focus on very fundamental parameters, like contacts and looks, absolutely not BER.

9. gloomrider

I spent a good bit of time reading the USB 2.0 specification. There is no BER value in there that I could find.

10. missan

missan Forum Resident

It´s probably superfluous, as it seems.

11. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

I wonder how much my system needs to be improved before a green magic marker will make my CDs sound a lot better.

Brother_Rael and russk like this.
  12. russk

russk Forum Resident

There have been a couple of interesting threads on Mapleshade and what the do to the vintage Scott integrateds over on AK. None of it flattering. I've never seen one myself so can't comment from experience but I'd definitely say they're worth the read.

Rolltide likes this.
  13. russk

russk Forum Resident

Man I wish I had a time machine. I'd go back and grab some Mac gear and a closet full worth of tubes and hit some of those clinics.

Gary and Rolltide like this.
  14. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

You and all of us.

Leave your tubes home; new ones were installed as part of the free service.

Those were the days.

Gary and russk like this.
  15. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

No it might have been an amp. Of course not. When it comes to cable someone would have to show me a frequency response plot in order for me to spend more than just something basic. Also for what it's worth Listening test have never revealed a difference to me.

In my view everything proceeding the speakers is not the problem in home audio. All of that stuff can be had for relatively cheap and perform well. Flat frequency response etc.

i'd also say most decent mid priced speakers perform ok independent of the room interactions and poor set up. Its those two things that cause real problems. Well that and the recordings

16. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Besides BER (Bit Error Rate) should be super tiny anyhow and IMO would not account for he subtle subjective remarks folks ascribe to the USB cable. As I linked in the 1st page of this thread, I recorded what error sounds like with a poor USB cable in one of my blog posts and clearly digital error is annoying and not just some subtle shift in tone / darkness / veil / warm / cold / soundstage anomaly...

Furthermore, if BER were an issue enough to cause audible persistent changes, we really shouldn't be using it for USB hard drives and such demanding high speed and accurate data transfer!

17. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes I agree on everything. I have heard how a poor cable can sound, and it´s terrible. And the only time I heard it was in fact with a very expensive cable. I have never heard it with my freeby ones.
    Me I don´t really think about cables at all, I would never care one bit for myself, never. They come so low on my list so they are not there.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm reminded of the only time in my life I've ever had an rca cable break it was by analysis plus. Had I realized they likely have a lifetime warranty I could have gotten it replaced, but still, never had a cheap cable just stop working.

19. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I did a frequency response chart for my cartridge and also some in-room stuff when I set up my speakers, which I've since realized was in error due to REW not working well with JAVA.

20. KrutersBruters

KrutersBruters New Member

Hi Guys,
    First post here ..
    I was in the naysayers for the longest time. I heard a couple of cables and could not discern the difference.
    No magic here .....
    Here is a 6 moons review with some info "http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/audiocadabra/1.html "
    Another interesting article
    " http://download.tek.com/secure/55W_...va=20150306051333&token=027b553604b1bc829c22f"
    It's not just ones and zeros, but the associated noise transmitted by them. Also proper grounding and grounding noise. And finally total SNR of the audio system to hear the difference.
    The total system has to be capable of this. For example, I used the above USB cable from a manufacturer and found that it was causing clocking errors and dynamic restriction, and it was only 196/24 capable.
    The impedance variation for the cable can be from from 75-105 ohms, nominal 90 ohms. So improper impedance match, and reduced transmission speed will also have an effect.

Cheers,
    KB

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  21. russk

russk Forum Resident

And how did you find it was causing clocking errors?

Also in this long and meandering post those points have been addressed. Even faulty cables.

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I was interested to see that Michael Fremer is hosting a DAC shootout using Wireworld’s Platinum Starlight USB cable ($500 and up), and is threatening to follow up with a USB cable shootout.

I looked up Wireworld's product description and found this EU-unfriendly sales pitch:

“Featuring Wireworld’s proprietary DNA Helix design technology, solid silver conductors and carbon fiber connectors, this award winning cable provides incredibly lifelike sound quality. The DNA Helix design has six conductors, double that of conventional USB cables, arranged in an innovative symmetrical geometry that preserves square waves nearly perfectly, delivering the richest sonic textures ever produced by computer based audio systems. The fully isolated power conductor is insulated from the signal which helps eliminate electromagnetic interference and preserve signal purity.”

23. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Would love to see how he performs with doing a double blind test of these USB cables. Oh, forgot no one that reviews is willing to do double blind tests on cables in an impartial (or even biased) setting.

Benefactor and russk like this.
  24. gloomrider

Actually, it's an ADC shootout.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  25. russk

russk Forum Resident

Seems legit......nah I'm just kidding. That's sort of like letting Audioquest do a cable shoot out lol. I wonder what the outcome could possibly be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.