The greatest consumer cassette tape deck ever produced?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cowboy Kim, Feb 3, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

You have a Nak with words.:D

Pinknik, nosliw and William Bryant like this.
  2. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Who knows how to DIY repair a Nak 680ZX ??

3. alexpop

Open it and see if it requires new belts for starters.

4. macster

macster Forum Resident

Don't. IMHO, you should send it out to someone who has the tools and test equipment.

M~

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:agree: This is a two-speed deck and could be more complicated to fix than the average Nak decks ...

6. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

costs $600 - which is too much by far

7. coopmv

I spent $1000 about ten years ago to have a Nak expert completely went over and overhauled my ZXE 700 ...

ssmith3046 likes this.
  8. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

I'm not gonna do that - I am working hard to replace all my cassette library with CD or better, and am getting close...

There are just a few cassettes I have that are not available in CD (some are tapes I made on a Nak 550) - if I can fix my 680ZX, I'll digitize them and then sell the 680ZX

POE_UK likes this.
  9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I like the sound I get recording original vinyl (old analog) to my Denon 3 head deck. With good quality tape, the sound quality beats a cdr in some ways (the tone perhaps).

10. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

I've owned a Dragon since purchasing it brand-new. I also have a Tandberg TCD-420A that works well.

I don't know exactly where the 420A falls in the Tandberg hierarchy but I can tell you it is certainly no Nakamichi Dragon!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. coopmv

TCD-420A was one notch below the TCD-440A. Tandberg typically released fewer cassette deck models than Nakamichi at any given time since Tandberg had been more of a full-line audio company way before Nakamichi became one ...

jusbe likes this.
  12. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Yes, he's in California.

Here's his website.

macster and Dave like this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The 420 was a BIG step down from the 440.

jusbe likes this.
  14. coopmv

The ESL in CT was an authorized Nakamichi repair center and is still doing Nak repair. I would rather drive my Dragon over than packing it up for CA ...

15. alexpop

What's the best looking Nakamichi cosmetically?

16. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Tandberg 3014A ive personally never heard any other beat it.

TarnishedEars and William Bryant like this.
  17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Overall, that is my overall favorite as well. Although the Dragon does have lower Wow and Flutter.

18. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

For me it's a tossup between the Dragon and the CR7...but if I were forced to choose between the two I'd pick the CR7 because the display looks really cool.

alexpop and Pinknik like this.
  19. macster

macster Forum Resident

Remember there is expensive and then there is ESL. But... they are damn well worth it. It was $2500.00 for an overhaul for my Dragon a couple of years ago. I also want them to do my CR7A. When I bite the bullet they will be better than new.

M~

20. coopmv

You sent your Dragon all the way to CT for the overhaul?

21. macster

macster Forum Resident

"One of these days," they will go together. I purchased these boxes and used one of them to send my B215 to Tenn for repair and it worked pretty good. The plan is also to use one of them to send my Dragon to WHerman when my turn comes in June. I'm going to make top/bottom/ side inserts out of some kind of wood (at least that is the plan) along with some foam. I've done it before with just bubblewrap and shredded newspaper and there was no damage. But this time I'm going to step it up a notch. Anyway, those boxes are seriously good for the money.

M~

22. coopmv

Did you have ESL do any work on your Nak decks? I know there is a Revox expert repair shop in TN ...

23. macster

macster Forum Resident

Naww, never could afford it. But their reputation is impeccable and they are acknowledge as the "best." Mainly because the guy bought all of the inventory that Nak had (this is hearsay) and he has a ton of OEM parts to use in the overhaul of your machine.

M~

24. coopmv

Willie Hermann just does not make sense for me due to the distance.

25. macster

macster Forum Resident

I use Willy and the guy in Tenn, because they are affordable. I have no problems shipping items cross county or overseas for that matter. The problem that I have is finding (taking the time to look for) the right shipping container. I want and plan to get a metal one (think medical instruments) to ship my decks in. But so far, I haven't had any problems though I do insure for $1K+, which costs a bit more but I "feel" better doing so. But packing your items properly and having the correct shipping "box" are keys to your items arriving safely (IMHO).

M~