The Hippie from Lennon's Imagine Movie on Cavett, too?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by blase_faire, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carol

carol New Member

The telegrams

I know this is an old thread, but I found this website by searching for 'John Lennon' and 'Claudio', because I had actually seen a framed 6 very odd/cryptic sounding telegrams from a Claudio to John Lennon at Tittenhurst. They came from California. Prob not much interest to anyone but me!!

2. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Maybe not. In the YouTube comments for the clip is this:

@MontegoJoker14 Looks like him, but it is a different guy. A friend of the guy in the audience posted here once - it's a different guy than the one in the garden.

I can see why people might think they're the same guy, but I'd want to know what proof Chip has that this is the same guy. I'm not convinced that's the same guy.

Derek

AngusStanley likes this.
  3. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

So have either of the guys been ID'ed?

4. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Raising an old thread go to 9.31 in this clip

Lennon is asking a young assistant guy about what he is doing that day. Bear in mind this is about 1969, two years before Imagine, looks the same as the garden hippy, speaks in English accent but in the same way as the hippy. I reckon this is a 3rd sighting of the same person :)

5. I don't think the person in that clip looks like that Claudio guy.

AngusStanley likes this.
  6. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

Sorry, John Simpson, I do not see a resemblance. The Claudio guy looks more like Kurt Cobain to me. This guy looks like a long=haired Ron Schamburg, author of Growing Up With The Beatles.

7. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

the guy that was camping on John's estate while he was recording Imagine...he is captured briefly in the Imagine movie and John invites him in for breakfast.

Has he ever turned up in any interviews or anything?

Thanks!!

8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

It has been discussed that the stalker might be the same guy who asked a question from the audience at, I think, a Dick Cavett show later on,
    Can anyone link this?
    Some say the guy worked for John, some say he was indeed a stalker.

9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Maybe he's a member here:laugh:

ZippyPippy and delmonaco like this.
  10. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

I'm sure he wasn't working for John, and 'stalker' is a bit unfair IMHO

A true Beatles fan more like, I have thought a few times in the past where he is now - hope he's okay.

marmalade166 likes this.
  11. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Definitely not the same guy, he's wearing different clothes isn't he?

deany76 likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Gimme Some Truth DVD

John flashed as well. :D
    But ..what a performance with Gimme Some Truth
    JL to GH after playing How Do You Sleep ..Lennon " that's the nasty one" smiling :).

Who was the American hippie that turned up at the door obsessed with Carry That Weight.

13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This post is confusing to me.
    John flashed what?
    What does the performance of Gimme Some Truth have to do with the subject?
    Please clarify the “nasty one” sentence.

And your last sentence: is it a question or a statement? And isn’t that what this thread is about?

Strange and vague post.

His name is... likes this.
  14. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

You should check out his others. Strange and vague is par for the course.

15. alexpop

Strange ?
    Sure is when you rubbish another forum member.

16. His name is...

His name is... Well-Known Member

I don't think he was being rude to you. I agree with him, I really didn't understand what you were trying to say either. Can you please explain?
    Thanks very much

17. alexpop

Digging up a post from 6 months ago.
    Hmm, smell a troll.

18. projectorhead

projectorhead Well-Known Member

Surprised nobody's mentioned the additional information that seems to have been revealed about this guy in the "Above Us Only Sky" documentary shown on TV here in the UK last fall. During the sequence about Claudio there is a passing shot of an envelope sent from Claudio to John and Yoko. The return address reads:

Curt Claudio
    300 Coelho St
    Milpitas, Calif 95035

I've further found a newspaper article from March 19, 1966 in the Hayward, California Daily Review which lists a Curt Claudio as one of the Seniors of the Year at Kennedy High School.

Now will a real journalist finish filling in the blanks of this story so the curious among us can satiate our curiosity?!

19. casa quinn

casa quinn Well-Known Member

You don’t need a journalist, you need a genealogist. Here is what I found for you:
    Curt was born Cesare Curtis Claudio in Alameda, California on August 28, 1948. His father Cesare Claudio Sr was born in Victoria, BC, Canada to newly immigrated parents from Italy, and soon moved to Seattle, WA., and eventually to San Francisco. Cesare's father was a professional violinist and urged all four of his children to become professional musicians. Cesare played the cello at a very young age and went on to the Prix de Rome to study at the St. Cecilia Academy in Rome. Upon his return to the US, he earned a seat in the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra where he played until he was drafted into the Army. At U of C Berkeley, Cesare met fellow student, Martha Curtis, they had four sons, one of which was Cesare Curtis Claudio “Curt”. This story ends sadly with the December 22, 1981 death of Curtis Claudio. While it doesn’t say how he died, I imagine he never recovered from the war.
    As you can see from his musical family history, it’s no doubt that in his state of mind he felt a connection to Lennon’s music.

20. projectorhead

21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

So do my brother and I. Then we follow it up with “Well have some toast”.

22. projectorhead

Well, the details begin to come out! This is via a post on the John Lennon Facebook group:

"Hi Folks. My name is Ernie Claudio, Curt Claudio was my brother. Curt died in an
    Ultralight airplane accident several years after his visit with the amazing John Lennon.
    Curt was not a Vet. but he was a straight “A” student at University of California at Davis, California.
    Curt started using drugs, dropped out of school. Under the influence of drugs, Curt thought the Beatles were calling him, so traveled to England.
    If I remember correctly, George and Ring were in India at the time, and Paul was not accessible.
    So Curt ended up on John’s estate, where John treated him with great love and understanding, even letting Curt play in his music room.
    Unfortunately, when Curt returned to California, he was upset with John, because Curt thought John had deceived him with his music.
    Here is my contact information:
    Ernie Claudio

[Mod: personal info removed]

I am including and image of some of the Claudio who were in the San Francisco Symphony.
    Our father is Cesare Claudio."

Some obvious time frame jumbles (the India thing, for example), but if anyone wants to research further it looks like Ernie is wide open to enquiries. I've asked if Curt or anyone else in the family saw the Imagine movie with footage of the interaction when it came out. Waiting for a reply.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That explains it all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.