The Honourable Woman-great mini-series!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Yovra, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads Thread Starter

Just finished watching the final episode; fantastic cast (Maggie Gyllenhaal, Stephen Rea) and a tense labyrinth of a story!

The subject is very much doing to try good (or bad) in the Palestine/Israeli conflict.
    Tragedy is never far away and secrets and lies are constantly playing their own part in the shady politics of the secret services and the personal lives of the family involved.
    Don't miss it when it comes to US (or Dutch! ;)) television. The best series I've seen since True Detective!

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, excellent series and better than True Detective, IMO. The only thing I could fault it with was the somewhat limp ending, given everything that was in train during its entire run. I guess one can level a similar criticism of the True Detective's ending...

Yovra likes this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Just watched the first episode last night. Looks very good. I was surprised at how good Maggie Gyllenhaal's accent is. Although I can't quite understand why the English, who are thick with good underemployed actors, need to bring in a Yank for that role!

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Just finished the miniseries.

It is GREAT. In contention for the best thing I've seen this year. I agree that this gave True Detective a run for its money.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes quality TV.

5. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Will this be Maggie's new career: An American actress based in Britain?

It has been recently said that her desire is to move to London.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Being a Yank, I cannot judge her English accent. But friends I have who are from the UK tell me it's quite good--slightly studied/formal, but a job very well done.

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just finished this the other night. Terrific acting and great direction. Had some trouble following the story but no matter - great television.

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just finished blitzing through this. Enjoyed it, but...

• Figured the kid was hers the moment he disappeared
    • Figured the "mother" was in on the long game
    • Saw the ground breaking as a trap all along: "just turn the key..."
    And nailed a few other, lesser, plot points, too. Maybe I'm watching too much TV these days. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.