The Jam - About the Young Idea - Exhibition at Somerset House London

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Linto, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton Thread Starter

2. Linto

3. Linto

4. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Lovely photos - fascinating... my favourite has to be the top pic in the OP - although it's a bit naughty to deface an instrument in that way. ;)

I've been a fan since a very tender age and around the time of the release of the single Strange Town. First live band I ever saw, in 1980 too.

Thanks for posting these pics, Linto. :righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Linto

You're welcome, its better than I was expecting, and well worth the visit from the Sunny midlands.
    Lots of detail, to read everything would take a few hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Nice! I like Bruce's setlist on the Rick bass. They have quite a few of Weller's guitars also.

7. Linto

He has had loads more Ricks, the red 76/77 was missing, and the 360/12 MG from the Funeral Pyre video.
    The Lichenstein 330 differs to the one in the Start video and TOTP. The neck pickup is wrong and the neck
    is very different. I did point this out to them, and I am following up next week, maybe Weller had two?

8. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

That can't be the Leonard Cohen "Hallelujah" so is it the Can track? Or more probably "Hallelujah, I Love Her So".

9. powissquare

powissquare Forum Resident

The 360/12 MG is in the Fred Perry store near Covent Garden along with the big Rickenbacker ( I forget the model number ) the one he uses on the TOTP Absolute Beginners performance.

Linto likes this.
  10. Linto

thanks, didn't know that, I try to avoid Covent Garden!

11. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

12. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Wow!

I'm a huge fan of In the City, This Is The Modern World and All Mod Cons.

When everyone else was raving about The Clash, I was saying back "What About The Jam?"

Thanks much for posting the picture. Great stuff!

13. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

I found it quite a strange experience seeing (a part of ) my record collection under glass in a museum-like presentation. Overall I thought the whole thing lacked any originality in terms of presentation or visitor experience, being far too 'dry' and staid in a traditional way. A little 21st century modernist presentation might have gone a long way... Some of the attempts to put things is a contemporaneous context were also a little 'edited' to swerve from 'as it happened', ie the picture being painted of the lads rebelling against a harsh hard right political climate, whereas punk happened under a Labour government and there was actually the famous quote about them intending to vote Conservative (recently claimed to be a PR stunt by Weller). Other than that, i went on the press luanch night so the free beer was welcome and seeing a lot of old faces dressed up was interesting ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.