The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Freddie Hubbard
    The Artistry Of Freddie Hubbard

[​IMG]

alankin1, rxcory, ronfint and 9 others like this.
  2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

The XRCD is very good. Only other digital version I have to compare is the OJC, which is OK, but I prefer the XRCD.

Best sounding version in any format I have heard is the Analogue Productions 45 rpm 2 LP edition mastered by Hoffman/Gray.

hvbias likes this.
  3. Pants Party

Duke Ellington
    The Complete Capitol Recording Of Duke Ellington, Disc 2

[​IMG]

Disc 2 kicks of with some solo Duke playing Melancholia. It's a stunning piece. There's several passages -- chord progressions that I feel weren't incorporated until like the late 60s or 70s -- as pop music got more adult and sophisticated. Bacharachian. This was recorded in 1953.

DrJ, alankin1, rxcory and 4 others like this.
  4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Dolphy Prestige Disc 2. [​IMG]Quite the duo on sax...Ken McIntyre and Dolphy.

jay.dee, DrJ, rxcory and 6 others like this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks DrJ. I'll keep an eye out for the XRCD. This is also coming out on SACD by AP, a Kevin Gray remaster.

I have the AP 45 rpm, it is indeed exceptional; so much resolution!

DrJ likes this.
  6. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits (1965)
    Freddie Hubbard (tp) with Joe Henderson (ts) or Hank Mobley (ts), James Spaulding (as, fl), Harold Mabern (p) or McCoy Tyner (p), Pete La Roca (d) or Clifford Jarvis (d), Kiane Zawadi (euphonium), Larry Ridley (b) or Bob Cranshaw (b), Big Black (congas).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Erik B., DrJ, vanhooserd and 9 others like this.
  7. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

Bobby Watson, Live at Someday in Tokyo

[​IMG]

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Erik B., DrJ, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  9. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Alice ColtraneHuntington Ashram Monastery (Impulse! / Verve EU – 2-on-1 series )
    — Alice Coltrane (harp, piano), Ron Carter (bass), Rashied Ali (drums, percussion); on two-fer that also includes World Galaxy

[​IMG] [​IMG]

frightwigwam, ronfint, DrJ and 4 others like this.
  10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Buck HillCapital Hill (Muse Records)
    — Buck Hill (tenor sax), Barry Harris (piano), Ray Drummond (bass), Freddie Waits (drums); CD bonus track

[​IMG]

Buck Hill R.I.P.

ronfint, Marzz, miklew and 2 others like this.
  11. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Horace Parlan Trio - My Little Brown Book (2007)

[​IMG]

ronfint, David Ellis, Marzz and 3 others like this.
  12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD hatOLOGY hatOLOGY-670) .... recorded Junes 1977 at Basel, Switzerland .... Anthony Braxton (as, ss,cl) + George Lewis (tb) + Muhal Richard Abrams (p) + Mark Helias (b) + Charles “Bobo” Shaw (dr) .... my convergence to the music universe of Anthony Braxton was a rather long work in process and sometimes I still believe being in the initial steps of our acquaintance .... this tremendous performance from 1977 was a big step for me towards Braxton for when released in 2001 and and listening to this newly remastered reissue makes me appreciating these performances even more .... this Quintet was really a tight group and one big reason for their success being the stellar rhythm section headed by Muhal Richard Abrams on piano and both showcasing the talents of Mark Helias on bass and being a worthy testament for the capabilites of underrated drummer Charles "Bobo" Shaw .... the original recording executed by Swiss Radio was already excellent and the new remastering from 2016 adds analytical depth .... this CD has been out of print for years and this reissue comes highly recommended .... btw a recording from the group`s performance taking place the following day in Milano/Italy can be found in the net - somewhere ....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    jay.dee, ronfint, charlesp and 3 others like this.
  13. Lonson

Dylan break. Love the sound of this stereo Mobile Fidelity SACD.
    [​IMG]

14. Lonson

Oops, wrong thread, I meant to post this elsewhere.

Back to jazz, the new Jazz in Paris of Bechet, "Petit Fleur" . . ..

Six String and Erik B. like this.
  15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Hush PointHush Point (Sunnyside)
    — With John Mcneil (trumpet), Jeremy Udden (alto sax), Aryeh Kobrinsky (bass), Vinnie Sperrazza (drums); originals by McNeil (3), Udden (4), Kobrinsky (1), and Jimmy Giuffre (2)

[​IMG]

ronfint, Soulpope and miklew like this.
  16. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

The Heath Brothers - Passing Thru

[​IMG]

Marzz, fingerpoppin, miklew and 2 others like this.
  17. Pants Party

Hank Mobley
    Mobley's 2nd Message

[​IMG]

awizard, Six String, Erik B. and 8 others like this.
  18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I'm betting that Kevin Gray-mastered SACD will be great!

hvbias likes this.
  19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Love that box!

Pants Party likes this.
  20. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

Phil Ranelin, Perseverance

[​IMG]

Marzz, Soulpope and miklew like this.
  21. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD ECM Records German Press ECM-1626/27) .... recorded September 1996 .... Marilyn Crispell (p) + Garry Peacock (b) + Paul Motian (dr) .... splendid tribute to the euvre of composer/songwriter Anette Peacock .... this recording showcases the lyrical side of pianist Marilyn Crispell much to the advantage regarding a subtle re-workings of Peacock`s material and both Garry Peacock + Paul Motian are - with their sensible still challenging approach - genuin partners .... beautiful sound via the ECM CD release from 1997 - is it really 20 years ago ....

22. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Tomasz Stanko Quintet – Music for K (Polish Jazz Vol.22 / Metal Mind Productions)
    — Tomasz Stanko - trumpet; Zbigniew Seifert - alto saxophone; Janusz Muniak - tenor saxophone; Bronislaw Suchanek - bass; Janusz Stefanski - drums, percussion

[​IMG] [​IMG]

23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Bill Perkins Just Friends [portion w/ Art Pepper] [(D) on Art Pepper Mosaic Select] (Pacific Jazz Records / Mosaic)
    — With Art Pepper - alto saxophone; Bill Perkins - tenor sax; Jimmy Rowles - piano; Ben Tucker - bass; Mel Lewis - drums

[​IMG] [​IMG]

David Ellis, ronfint, Erik B. and 6 others like this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Last night I played Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye, HDTracks. I grabbed the Connoisseur CD from the classifieds here, looking forward to seeing how it compares. I sold the Van Gelder stereo LP for this a while back, just a bit too compressed for my taste.

[​IMG]

ronfint, Erik B., btf1980 and 8 others like this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

How did the HD Tracks sound to you? Will be interesting to see if you like the Connoisseur CD better than the LP.