The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification, for some reason I thought maybe the Mosaic got another re-release after he became a little more well known due to the Herbie Nichols project and more people covering his tunes.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sorry to be a nuisance, but a Mosaic set is always a one-off; they are not re-released after they go OOP. The owners of the rights own the masters that were used for the Mosaics and sometimes use them to reissue the material themselves.

3. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I love the Madlib jazz-related releases... This is a good one. I need to give one a listen again soon.

4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Recently reissued by Now-Again Records through their Drip... Never heard this album before and it was a nice listen.

[​IMG]

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Man, this is so good. The VG Trio Cast Your Fate To The Wind.

6. It's about time I heard some early Blue Note sessions again!

From the 20 CD Box
    Jazz from America On Disques Vogue (Sony Music/Legacy) CD15

[​IMG]

Tracks 1 - 6
    Young Man With A Horn - Miles Davis Sextet
    Original 10" LP issued on Blue Note

Tracks 7 - 12
    Miles Davis Vol.2 - Miles Davis Sextet
    Original 10" LP issued on Blue Note

Tracks 13 - 16
    Bud Powell Modernists with Fats Navarro
    Original EP issued on Blue Note

Tracks 17 - 21

Monk - Thelonious Monk
    Original EP issued on Blue Note
    1947-1948

Track 17 with Sextet
    Track 18 with Quartet
    Track 19 with
    Quintet
    Track 20 with Trio

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I ended up with both Mosaic sets. Jessica Williams sold me the cd set before she moved to Denmark in 1990. The box was damaged in a flood later that same year but fortunately the cds were unharmed. Around the turn of the century I found the Mosaic vinyl locally in great condition so I had to buy it. I've seen that tan "twofer" a few times since then so they are out there.

8. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Jason Moran - Modernistic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

10. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Art Blakey - Holiday For Skins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz, Erik B., jiffypopinski and 3 others like this.
  11. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

A Coltrane morning

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I was shocked when I first heard Ascension, at how raw it is but with repeated listening's I can imagine order and structure to what is otherwise chaos to my ears. I really like what Freddie Hubbard, McCoy Tyner and especially Elvin Jones do on it.

I'm not too familiar with Alice Coltrane but I do have this one:

John Coltrane - Alice Coltrane - Cosmic Music

[​IMG]

13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

How does the Ascension reissue sound?

Erik B. likes this.
  14. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

CHET BAKER / COMPLETE PACIFIC JAZZ STUDIO RECORDINGS OF THE CHET BAKER QUARTET WITH RUSS FREEMAN / PACIFIC / MOSAIC 3CD BOX SET MD3-122

DATES AND PERSONNEL:

1. GOLD STAR STUDIO, LA; JULY 24, 1953; CHET BAKER (TRUMPET); RUSS FREEMAN (PIANO); RED MITCHELL (BASS); BOBBY WHITE (DRUMS)
    2. GOLD STAR STUDIO, LA; JULY 27, 1953; CHET BAKER (TRUMPET); RUSS FREEMAN (PIANO); BOB WHITLOCK (BASS); BOBBY WHITE (DRUMS)
    3. RADIO RECORDERS, LA; JULY 29 And 30, 1953; CHET BAKER (TRUMPET); RUDD FREEMAN (PIANO); CARSON SMITH (BASS); LARRY BUNKER (DRUMS)
    4. RADIO RECORDERS, LA; OCTOBER 30, 1953; SAME AS ABOVE
    5. RADIO RECORDERS, LA; OCTOBER 27, 1953; CHET BAKER (TRUMPET, VOCALS); RUSS FREEMAN (PIANO); JOE MONDRAGON (BASS); SHELLY MANNE (DRUMS)
    6. CAPITOL STUDIO, LA; FEBRUARY 15, 1954; CHET BAKER (TRUMPET, VOCALS); RUSS FREEMAN (PIANO); CARSON SMITH (BASS); BOB NEEL (DRUMS)
    7. CAPITOL STUDIOS, LA; MARCH 7, 1955; CHET BAKER (TRUMPET, VOCALS); RUSS FREEMAN (PIANO); CARSON SMITH (BASS); BOB NEEL (DRUMS)
    8. FORUM THEATRE, LA; JULY 23, 1956; CHET BAKER (TRUMPET, VOCALS); RUSS FREEMAN (PIANO); JIMMY BOND (BASS); PETER LITMAN (DRUMS)
    9. FORUM THEATRE, LA; JULY 30, 1956; CHET BAKER (TRUMPET, VOCALS); RUSS FREEMAN (PIANO); JIMMY BOND (BASS); LAWRENCE MARABLE (DRUMS)
    10. LOS ANGELES; NOVEMBER 6, 1956; CHET BAKER (TRUMPET); RUSS FREEMAN (PIANO); LEROY VINNEGAR (BASS); SHELLY MANNE (DRUMS)

TECHNICAL: ORIGINAL SESSIONS PRODUCED BY RICHARD BOCK. RESEARCH AND PRODUCED FOR RELEASE BY MICHAEL CUSCUNA. PHOTOGRAPHY BY WILLIAM CLAXTON. ESSAYS BY WILL THORN URY AND DOUG RAMSEY. DIGITAL TRANSFERS AND MASTERING BY RON MCMASTER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz, Erik B., jiffypopinski and 7 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]

At The Hickory House (Vol. 1) - Jutta Hipp (Blue Note) CD
    with
    Jutta Hipp (piano), Peter Ind (bass), Ed Thigpen (drums)

Recorded 1956

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Tete Montoliu Trio – Secret Love (Timeless Records—Solid Records/Ultra-Vybe Japan)
    — With Sam Jones, Billy Higgins; recorded live at De Bommel, Breda, Holland

[​IMG]

Soulpope and macdaddysinfo like this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Helen Merrill: Helen Merrill s/t (aka w/Clifford Brown)

Helen Merrill - vocals
    Clifford Brown - trumpet
    Danny Bank - bass clarinet, flute, baritone saxophone
    Jimmy Jones - piano
    Barry Galbraith - guitar
    Milt Hinton - double bass
    Oscar Pettiford - cello, double bass
    Osie Johnson or Bobby Donaldson - drums
    Quincy Jones - arranger, conductor

Recorded December 22-24, 1954. A really enjoyable Bop w/vocals album with Helen only 24, amazing until you find out that Clifford was 23 and Quincy was 21. I'll save the "kids today" comments.....

[​IMG]

Soulpope, Marzz, Erik B. and 8 others like this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

Same here, I wish there were more uhhh, 'Hip-Hop' artists doing this sort of thing today. Hey, do you have any experience with the vinyl versions of these titles on Stones Throw? I've been leery of taking a chance on them with little information available.

19. AxiomAcoustics

Miller has a very interesting and unique story.

Marzz and johnnypaddock like this.
  20. AxiomAcoustics

Why, any Rhodes Scholar I'd think.

Six String likes this.
  21. AxiomAcoustics

If I were tasked with trying to hip someone, or give them a way into the beauties and mysteries of "Ascension" I think I'd turn to Modern or Post-Modern art rather than using musical descriptors. There's a lot of "form" and "structure" to be gleaned from that work (Ascension) if one (as you have) spend time with it and let it reveal the overarching logic rather than trying to expect something from it conventionally. Thinking of it as a sort of sonic tableau constructed by the rhythm section from which other sounds and colors (forms) appear and then recede back into the underlying collective. It can be an even psychedelic experience at times, depending on the surrounding atmosphere.

I've used Frank Stella in the past to "describe" or represent the work but any artist of the listener's choice would be appropriate:

[​IMG]

BTW: The label that put out that Cosmic Music LP has also released a few Alice Coltrane titles, all worth checking out. They are all cut from digi of course but they are well done, nicely presented and sound quite good and priced accordingly.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  22. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Came on my shuffle. It's from one of Marsalis' best albums, imo. 90s Neo-classical jazz they call it. I suppose. ;)

Marzz and johnnypaddock like this.
  23. AxiomAcoustics

Not sure based on your post if you have the boxed set but if not it is fantastic, highly recommended.

ando here likes this.
  24. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Yes I do. Put it in my iTunes library. The tracks always impress me when they pop up on shuffle.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  25. AxiomAcoustics

Ahh, that explains it. :thumbsup: Love listening to the sets. I wish there were more boxed sets like this of 'runs' at the Village Vanguard.

ando here likes this.