The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Forum Resident

Yeah, I hope these programs stay alive. The music deserves this type of care and attention.

2. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics Relaxin' On The Axis

Unfortunately he's not making it up this way on this tour. Is his father a player?

3. AxiomAcoustics

Definitely. I'm sure there's something in the works but nothing new that I can find for now. I'd welcome that Contemporary series, and hope there are some new and unearthed titles. They did announce a second series of RCA Living Stereo but no Jazz. He seems to really be focusing on that Ultra Tape line now.

Bobby Boogaloo likes this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson Don't get around much anymore

5. Morbius

Morbius Well-Known Member

Yesterdays on The Song Book is just incredible!

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hopkins in his later years, his earlier stuff is much better in my opinion. The Ervin and Golson are excellent.

7. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yes, as already mentioned.
    Last night he played soprano sax and flute.

8. An amazing concert (complete, in two parts) by Jim Hall and Scott Colley (b). If you are fans and have never seen/heard this, it's well worth the play I'm telling you! Not much hi-fi, but I happen to like the very low-lit, old school looks.

Awesome performance from both players, and a beautiful set list, including a mesmerizing, brooding, futuristic sounding composition I had never heard before at around 40:00 of Part 2.

From the recordings I have heard so far, Jim to me had two peaks as a guitar player, at around age 45, and here, 20 years later!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  9. Morbius

Morbius Well-Known Member

Miles Smiles definitely needs an update, just got the Speakers Corner pressing and it sounds like the source they mastered it from has been around the block a few times. There's no depth or body to Wayne's sax and "Herb's" piano sounds flat. Good record though.

10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I winder if he’s related to Gary? I could find anything online but given the Seattle connection, I wouldn’t be surprised.

11. mktracy

mktracy Active Member

12. AxiomAcoustics

Believe it or not I've never heard either the Hopkins or Golson before so I'm looking forward to them. That lineup on the Golson, oy! Interesting how many Blues and Bluesville titles were in this Prestige series. It would have been nice if they had just done an entire set of those titles.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  13. AxiomAcoustics

Thanks for that, I love to see these types of stories, far too rare these days. He played here last December but it was sold out before we could get the time off. Actually, tomorrow would be exactly 1 year.

14. AxiomAcoustics

It probably has, and that may be the reason for it not having been done before by MoFi. Although, SC would likely use a different tape due to their location. The SC version isn't perfect but it's the best we have outside of a clean OP, or a MoFi from a good source. It's better than any of the digital releases I've heard and better than the MOV. I just checked my email and it was just in May when I was told that they would not be doing Miles Smiles, let's hope that has changed.

Morbius and ParloFax like this.
  15. AxiomAcoustics

I just sort of assumed, thinking it would be far too coincidental for there to be no connection.

16. AxiomAcoustics

I'm listening to this fine and mellow drag again right now, noticing how differently it sounds from listening to it last night in the dark with no distractions. The character of the music is conveyed so much more when proper attention is given and it's not just wallpaper. Still a great listen, but not the same.

[​IMG]

17. AxiomAcoustics

Looking forward to this:

Pianists Kris Davis & Craig Taborn release live duo album

KRIS DAVIS & CRAIG TABORN

DOCUMENT 12-CITY 2016 U.S. TOUR
    WITH HELP OF FAMED ENGINEER
    RON SAINT GERMAIN,
    ON MOMENTOUS LIVE ALBUM,

OCTOPUS
    Two pianos, Two of the World’s Highest-Level Improvisers, Deep in Dialogue
    Available January 28th on Davis’ Pyroclastic Records

EXCLUSIVE SOUNDCLOUD STREAM

[​IMG]

18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Or Ray Metzker?

19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

The Jimmy Giuffre 4 – Quasar (Soul Note)
    — Jimmy Giuffre - soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone, clarinet, flute, bass flute; Pete Levin - electric piano, synthesizer, keyboards; Bob Nieske - electric bass; Randy Kaye - drums, percussion.

[​IMG]

20. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Forum Resident

Woody Shaw - United
    Woody Shaw, trumpet & flugel horn, Mulgrew Miller, piano; Steve Turre, trombone;
    Stafford James, bass; Tony Reedus, drums; Gary Bartz, alto sax (trks 5 & 6 only)
    From disc 3 of The Complete CBS Studio Recordings Of Woody Shaw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  21. Bobby Boogaloo

AxiomAcoustics, jay.dee and Marzz like this.
  22. Bobby Boogaloo

Been streaming these Miles Davis beauties lately:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In Concert & Agharta

23. Bobby Boogaloo

How would yall rate those Resonance Wes Montgomery releases? I've already got Echoes of Indiana Ave, so am look at In The Beginning, ORTF, Smokin' In Seattle & One Night in Indy

Wes Montgomery - In Paris: The Definitive ORTF Recording - Resonance Records

Wes Montgomery - One Night In Indy - Resonance Records

Wes Montgomery - In the Beginning - Resonance Records

Wes Montgomery - Smokin' in Seattle: Live at the Penthouse (1966) - Resonance Records

I'm only looking at either downloads or CDs of this btw. I'm not sure Resonance LPs are worth the extra $$$ but I'm flexible on that if there are any stellar reviews of them.

24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Slide Hampton & his Orchestra – Drum Suite (Epic—Columbia Records / Mosaic Singles)

[​IMG]

Personnel:
    Slide Hampton - trombone, arranger; John Bello (tracks 2 & 7-10), Hobart Dotson, Freddie Hubbard (tracks: 5-7), Willie Thomas (tracks 1, 3, 4 & 8), Richard Williams - trumpet; Benny Jacobs-El - trombone; George Coleman - tenor saxophone; Yusef Lateef - flute, tenor saxophone (tracks 1, 3, 4 & 8); Jay Cameron - baritone saxophone; Tommy Flanagan - piano; Eddie Khan - bass; Vinnie Ruggiero (tracks 7, 9 & 10), Max Roach (tracks 1-8) - drums.

Includes two bonus tracks.

25. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident