The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This I can see.

2. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Charles Lloyd at Monterey ~ Forest Flower
    Atlantic, 1967

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cactus Bob

My phone crashed and had to reset to factory default and the link might have broke unfortunately.

4. Cactus Bob

Nice . . . it is that for sure!

Voltaire likes this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Thanks.

6. Cactus Bob

I can't see! I can't see! What's the matter Kid? I got my eyes closed!

[​IMG]

rxcory and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

jeromesabbagh likes this.
  8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Nice haul!

9. AxiomAcoustics

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!
    :p

Not sure what's up all of a sudden. Shrubbletooting right now.

rxcory and Cactus Bob like this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

Thanx man! And it really was a haul. Let's see 19 LP's at ~180g per = 3420g of vinyl + packaging I reckon said haul weighed in at around 4500g.

So you can see that pic but not the one at the top of the page with all the copy in it?

11. Cactus Bob

Coleman Hawkins ~ Sirius
    Pablo, 1975

Coleman Hawkins last studio recordings, recorded late 1966 and unreleased until 1974 - five years after his death.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Cactus Bob

Bill Evans ~ Quintessence
    Fantasy, 1977

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I have never listened to this album but thanks to you I have it on YouTube right now.
    After YouTube I'll probably be going to Discogs next.:cool:

Cactus Bob likes this.
  14. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Actually, I can't even see the 'test' post now as well as the others.

15. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Can't see the image. Would love to see what you got.

Agree on the Grant Green in Paris release. As much as I love the two versions of Upshot and High Heel Speakers and the two 1970 shows in general I still can't get over how great side 1 is. The whole set is worth it for the 69 set alone.

16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: Grant Green - Funk In France. Side E which has a blistering solo by Mr. Green on Upshot. Love this release.
    [​IMG]

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That's the GG album I was interested in but didn't get. I didn't really try though, waiting until about a half hour after tge feeding frenzy to go in the store. Not even sure if they got any copies. I may get the cd version when it comes out. I wish they didn't do such lmited vinyl runs but the cds I own from the label sound really good.

18. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Found this the other day in 50 cent box at my local. I believe it's an original 1963 pressing and it's in great shape (after a trip through the Spin Clean). The sound is wonderful, full and rich and joyful. It's audio prozac.

[​IMG]

19. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(CD Soul Note SN-121118-2 and 121148-2) 1987/1989 .... recorded September 1986 @ The Village Vanguard .... Charlie Rouse (ts, fl) + Woody Shaw (tp, flh) + Mal Waldron (p) + Reggie Workman (b) + Ed Blackwell (dr) .... eternal thanks to Giovanni Bonandrini for capturing and relasing this priceless music .... belongs easily to the best jazz releases of the 80`s - enough said ....

20. jeromesabbagh

jeromesabbagh Forum Resident

21. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note Gatefold Blue White Label German Press BST-89906) .... recorded July 1970 .... Lee Morgan (tp) + Bennie Maupin (ts, b-cl, fl) + Harold Mabern (p) + Jymie Merritt (b) + Mickey Roker (dr) .... a stone classic (at least in my house) and although the expanded CD Blue Note CDP 7243 8 35228 2 8 edition adds fascinating insights I tend to believe the strongest cuts were used for the original double album .... features (IMO) Benny Maupin`s finest hour on wax .... my german Blue Note Blue White label vinyl press from 1971 with dead quiet surface carries a beautiful sound ....

22. [​IMG]

Message From Hambro - The Lenny Hambro Quintet (Sony) CD
    with
    Lenny Hambro
    (alto sax & flute), Clyde Lombardi (bass), Mel Zelnick (drums), Dick Garcia (guitar), Wade Legge (piano)

Recorded 1955/56.
    The sound on this CD edition, issued via Sony's Jazz Collection 1000 series, is excellent. I previously was completely unaware of the existence of this delightful west coast sounding recording until I heard this CD recently and am loving every minute of it!

[​IMG]

23. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

That's cool - hopefully they decide to hit Chicago for kicks.

24. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I was pleased with the restraint I showed on RSD day. I only picked up the Grant Green and the Neil Young. That said I may stop by the record store this week and see whats left over. My friend picked up the Soul Diesel II compilation of late 60's - early 70's Prestige tracks featuring Bernard Purdie and Idris Muhammad and that was a great listen. The Cal Tjader track from the Fritz The Cat soundtrack was really fun.

25. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Agree, love both of those.