The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not a fan of Grundman's masterings, generally speaking, but I love the music :)

2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

New music from The Brad Mehldau trio.

3. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I don't like his mastering for Classic Records LPs (and some ORGs), but I always liked his work on the Classic Records Gold CDs and ORG (Music) SACDs (definitely less bright than his mastering for vinyl).

4. cds23

LARRY YOUNG / IN PARIS - THE ORTF RECORDINGS / RESONANCE - L'INA / 2CD TRIFOLD DIGIPACK EDITION

LARRY YOUNG (ORGAN AND PIANO); JACK DIÉVAL (PIANO); NATHAN DAVIS, JEAN-CLAUDE FOHRENBACH (TENOR SAXOPHONE); WOODY SHAW, SONNY GREY (TRUMPET); JACQUES B. HESS (BASS), BILLY BROOKS; FRANCO MANZECCHI (DRUMS); JACKY BAMBOO (CONGA)

ORIGINALLY PRODUCED BY JACK DIÉVAL AND ANDRÉ FRANCIS. PRODUCED FOR THIS RELEASE BY ZEV FELDMAN, GEORGE KLABIN AND MICHAEL CUSCUNA. RECORDED AT OFFICE DE DIFFUSION RADIODIFFUSION TÉLÉVISION FRANÇAISE (ORTF), PARIS ON DECEMBER 8, 1964 AND JANUARY 22 AND 29. RECORDED AT LA LOCOMOTIVE, PARIS ON FEBRUARY 9, 1965. COVER PHOTOGRAPH BY FRANCIS WOLFF, TAKEN AT MAISON DE L'ORTF, PARIS. ALL OTHER PHOTOGRAPHY TAKEN BY JEAN-PIERRE LELOIR AT LE CHAT QUI PÊCHE. SOUND RESTORATION BY GEORGE KLABIN. MASTERING BY FRAN GALA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Wonderful photo.

6. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Talking of Larry Young, I own a little of his recordings.
    But I am proud to have this jewel released by BN:

Larry Young - Unity (1966)

CD Blue Note 7243 4 97808 2 8 - RVG Edition, Europe 1999, (Reissue).

[​IMG]

7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Larry Young - Mother Ship
    Blue Note (1980)
    TOCJ-50286

[​IMG]

8. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Blue Mitchell
    - Step Lightly

CD reissue (TOCJ-4142). Only had heard Blue Mitchell’s The Thing to Do, until Blue Note reissued Step Lightly last year as part of that questionable box set they released. Didn’t buy the set, but was encouraged to hear more of his music. His sound has opened my ear to other soul-leaning players.

Soulpope, rxcory, cds23 and 8 others like this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

One of my all time fav's. Probably don't have the best pressing of it, but I don't care.

10. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Steve Lacy Three: N.Y. Capers & Quirks

Steve Lacy: Soprano Sax
    Ronnie Boykins: Bass
    Den(n)is Charles: Drums

Recorded at the European/American Music Festival at Soundscape on December 29, 1979. Mastered from the original tapes and issued in this format in a shortened version due to excessive dropouts on the master, dropping two tracks and a portion of another. The upside is that the sound is improved, rendering Boykins' bass with more presence than the original issue on LP. Lacy's admiration, love and study of Monk is well known and he's just as recognizable and singular in his composing and playing style. Lacy performend in many iterations from solo to large groupings (SL 4, Sl 5, SL6, SL7, SL 2x6 etc) but my favorite setting is the trio, allowing his mastery of the straight horn to really develop and allowing his trio mates more sonic real estate in which to express. This one's a burner and it's a joy getting to hear the underrecorded Denis Charles and Boykins, a stalwart of the Sur Ra orbit but who also played with RRK (Rip Rig!) and Sam Rivers but who checked out far too soon at 44.

It's a lively room acoustic, which may explain some of the lost bass but it's ultimately a very nice listening experience with escellent detail and no touch of brightness. It's quirky and a helluva caper.

[​IMG]

The original LP cover gives you an idea of the setting.

[​IMG]

11. AxiomAcoustics

Excellent, you familiar with this one? (From one of my posts some time back).

Sticks & Stones: Shed Grace

Matana Roberts: Alto Saxophone, Clarinet
    Josh Abrams: Upright Bass
    Chad Taylor: Drums

Starting out as a trio playing Sundays at Fred Anderson's Velvet Lounge this is the trio's second date, released on Thrill Jockey and recorded live to tape. It's wonderful to not only see a trio fronted by a female sax player but even more inspiring when that music is this adventurous and "New Thing" inspired. It smokes, it grooves, it's plaintive and it's engaging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. AxiomAcoustics

That's the version to get too, it contains about 20' of additional music from the gig (not alts) that are not on the LP.

13. AxiomAcoustics

How is that Hartman? I really dig his impulse! albums (with and without Trane) but am unfamiliar with this one.

14. AxiomAcoustics

Actually this is an ORG Music release. Excellent in both formats.

15. AxiomAcoustics

What makes this even better is that it contains an Elmo Hope and Sam Rivers cover.

16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

lost in the funk fusion jungle, steve khan was a hail of a guitarist..

~

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

His work for ORG has been very good, I wouldn't miss the few SACD's he's done and cseveral are available at an excellent price. My Favorite Things, The Bridge and The Shape Of Jazz To Come are my favorite digital versions.

Bobby Buckshot and Starwanderer like this.
  18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

He only gets better with age, the verses more intricate of the songs chosen and the interpretation more expressive. His back up is above reproach and is as much fun to listen to as he is.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  19. [​IMG]

Another Time | The Hilversum Concert - Bill Evans (Resonance) CD

with Eddie Gomez and Jack DeJohnette.

Recorded 22 June 1968

36 page booklet included.

[​IMG]

I initially decided not to bother with this (or any of the other recent Bill Evans releases put out by Resonance) but thanks to comments made on the Jazz threads on this forum I was convinced I needed to get hold of a copy. I'm so glad I did now because the more I listen to it, the more delighted I am with it. There is a superb sound on the disc and the music is a delight from beginning to end.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  20. cds23

RENÉ THOMAS ET SON ORCHESTRE / MEETING MISTER THOMAS / BARCLAY / 1963 / ORIGINAL 84 091 STEREO LP

JACQUES PELZER (ALTO SAXOPHONE, FLUTE); RENÉ THOMAS (GUITAR); LOU BENNETT (ORGAN); BENOÎT QUERSIN, GILBERT ROVÈRE (BASS); CHARLES BELLONZI (DRUMS)

PRODUCED BY FRANK TÉNOT. RECORDED BY JACQUES LUBIN ON MARCH 23 AND APRIL 20, 1963 AT STUDIO HOCHE, PARIS. PHOTOGRAPHY BY JEAN-PIERRE LELOIR. LINER NOTES BY CLAUDE MARGAUT.

[​IMG]

This record is so fun to listen, I urge everyone on this forum to give it a chance. And the sound quality is really nice, too. There are still plenty of those cheap "Jazz in Paris" CDs out there, a series of which this album is part of. They're like $5 and have decent mastering, only downside is the missing original artwork.

21. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

LP - 80's OJC pressing

[​IMG]

22. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

George Braith
    - Laughing Soul

CD reissue. Some joyous Grant Green playing on this. Has me psyched for Resonance’s two Grant Green releases coming to CD this week. Braith has another Prestige album, Musart, reissued by Real Gone Music (the good label, not PD label Real Gone Jazz), that’s similarly enjoyable as this one.

23. cds23

JACKIE MCLEAN / 4, 5 AND 6 / PRESTIGE / 1956 / ANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS 200G DEEP GROOVE REISSUE OF PRLP 7048

JACKIE MCLEAN (ALTO SAXOPHONE); HANK MOBLEY (TENOR SAXOPHONE); DONALD BYRD (TRUMPET); MAL WALDRON (PIANO); DOUG WATKINS (BASS); ART TAYLOR (DRUMS)

PRODUCED BY BOB WEINSTOCK. RECORDED ON JULY 13 AND 20, 1956 BY RUDY VAN GELDER AT VAN GELDER STUDIO, HACKENSACK, NEW JERSEY. PHOTOGRAPHY BY BOB WEINSTOCK. COVER DESIGN BY TOM HANNAN. LINER NOTES BY IRA GITLER. MASTERING BY KEVIN GRAY AT COHEARANT AUFIO, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

First cup of coffee music this morning is

Jacob Young
    Forever Young

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Now Disc 2 of this Getz Roost set. Wonderful stuff. This second disc is all live recordings, flavored with more ensemble playing and the guitar work of Jimmy Raney is pure fire.

Jackie P and J.A.W. like this.