The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I've been told the devil plays Supertramp albums on auto-repeat at very high volumes in hell. ;)

MagicAlex likes this.
  2. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Sounds tasty, your mention of Raney on guitar. That Mosaic set was my forst real foray into Getz of that era (early 50's) and this set seems a good companion as the Mosaic is essential.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Mosaic has more material; The Roost Quartets has 1950-1951 recordings including non-Raney stuff, while the Mosaic has 1951-1952 Roost recordings, 1952 Clef recordings, and 1953 Prestige recordings, all with Raney.

4. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I'm tempted to buy this set, provided I find a copy that's not too expensive.

5. AxiomAcoustics

Will it make me want to hear it again? I've mulled this. Between my own incessant playing of the vinyl when it first came out, learning and playing several of the tunes in cover bands in high school, and then the continued overplay and ruinous repetition on "classic rock" radio I've not been able to come to a conclusion.

I will say this: I wish MoFi would spend a little (actully a lot) more time on Jazz titles.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    MagicAlex and rxcory like this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

I'm also seeing that in addition to the Getz Clef/Norgran set Mosaic released a complete Raney/Getz 3CD box. Interesting.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Seconded, but I'm afraid it's not commercially viable.

rxcory likes this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, it was one of the early ones, The Complete Recordings of the Stan Getz Quintet with Jimmy Raney - that's the one I was referring to above.

9. AxiomAcoustics

Very true. Although compared to other "niche" labels Music Direct has pretty deep pockets. They contiue to bring on high-end audio brands and continue to expand, although that does not justify doing things that are not economically sound. What I fear is that their SACD efforts are even less commercially viable and we'll lose them altogether someday.

They've picked the most recognized and saleable artist to reissue in Miles. Who's left? Evans? (They did a One Step) and Coltrane? A MofI Coltrane Impulse! campaign would be nice and somewhat viable. Complete Village Vanguard to kick things off, followed by Africa Brass. Please.

10. Bobby Buckshot

$15 at DG: Stan Getz : Complete Roost Sessions (3CD set) (CD)

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Seconded - again :) What I would like to see is a complete Coltrane studio quartet and big-band (Africa Brass) hybrid SACD-set - and really complete. The so-called "complete" studio quartet CD-set impulse! put out years ago was far from complete and the mastering (by Erick Labson, of impulse! digipak fame) was so-so at best. The impulse! hybrid SACDs AP released were great (mastered by Kevin Gray) but lacked the bonus tracks the impulse! digipaks had, unfortunately. A live Coltrane impulse! quartet set would also be great.

12. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

The Ronnell Bright Trio. One of the gems from Sam Records out of France.

[​IMG]

13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Agreed. I certainly burned out out this one in my time but for me it’s one of those titles that I’ll never escape so may as well hear the best available release. It did make for good afternoon!

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

So I owe you a deuce, to follow. :) Always felt the same on those AP releases, and some of the BN titles contained the bonus tracks. I wonder if the impulse! masters just did not contain the extra tracks whereas the BN's did? So they may have had to get separate licensing for something on a separate reel. I think a fll VV set would sell, although I'm biased but damn, I can't see something like that selling out on preorder. Now about that coincidental deuce:

1) I had my hands on that Coltrane metal box on Sunday. I thought: "Hmmmm, haven't listened to this in 10 years maybe. Then the Labson thing hit and I moved on. Which is not necessarily justified. Noteverything is bad, it's a mixed bag, but they alllllll could have been much better. The packaging and liners were top notch, a missed opportunity. I remember those coming with a cool impulse! sticker. Put one on my band van and it quicly deteriorated as it was not exterior friendly. Still have one on my cymbal case though.

2) Listened to this while on the roundabout this morning. Thought you may like it and it's appropriate to the discussion of labels and economic viability. Contained some surprises for me. You're likely failiar with Andy Doe:
    Episode #94 – Do Classical Record Labels Make Money?

MagicAlex likes this.
  15. AxiomAcoustics

I'm with you man, don't take my jive as anything more than an attempt to work through the issues. I was just looking at this this morning as I was searching for the Miles Smiles. Same as the Linda Rondstat :hide: I've had the James Gang in both formats since they came out :hide:

MagicAlex likes this.
  16. AxiomAcoustics

17. AxiomAcoustics

Spring has sprung, beautiful day in the 80's today in the PNW. Time for a hazy Kolsch and some Trane on the AP:

[​IMG]

18. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Grant Green - Born to Be Blue

CD reissue (McMaster). Adore the Grant Green / Sonny Clark quartet recordings, but just got this one (with the addition of Ike Quebec) since I don’t have the Mosaic set. After exploring Blue Mitchell’s early work and having my ear warm to more soulful (but still bop-based) jazz, my next steps have led to Ike Quebec. Is his discography of sideman appearances really as brief as Wikipedia shows?

19. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy (recorded 1965, released 1967)

2009 Analogue Productions 45 R.P.M. stereo reissue

Pick a favorite Mobley/Morgan date: Lee Morgan Sextet? Peckin' Time? No Room For Squares? Dippin'? Cornbread? A Caddy For Daddy? I can't do it. Man, the synergy between these two. Add Curtis Fuller on melancholy trombone, McCoy Tyner fresh on the heels of playing on Coltrane's Meditations and a '66 DeVille and this is what you get. They're cruisin' allright, but Lee is soaring. Beautiful stuff!

[​IMG]

20. cds23

That's the one record I missed out on...and now the few copies left sell for $80+...

21. cds23

I certainly wouldn't mind a Coltrane SACD series by MFSL, but frankly, why so artist focused? I'd rather see them do single titles of different artists within a Jazz SACD series, something MFSL/Music Direct did when they resurrected MoFi in the 00's. They had Coltrane and Miles, but also McCoy and Milt Jackson, Pat Martino, Mulligan and Coleman Hawkins on SACD. I know, licensing single titles from different labels is probably more expensive than licensing 15+ titles from one place, but that also implies you have to work on titles that are less prominent and hope that collectors will grab them anyway, whereas doing single titles from Riverside, Prestige, Atlantic, Contemporary and the likes gives you the freedom to work on the best titles only. On the other hand, risk is high that even then they'll only remaster the usual suspects...

rxcory likes this.
  22. Bobby Buckshot

I think so as it reflects some time away while he was jailed. He certainly would have been more prolific had it not been for that. I just ordered his Easy Living disc and am waiting for it to arrive. Love his sound and playing - he makes playing with emotion seem easy.

Soulpope and fatwad666 like this.
  23. Bobby Buckshot

After that last Getz CD, I decided to seek out some Johnny Smith to listen to. All morning long I've been digging tracks from:

[​IMG]

Johnny Smith Foursome with Nabil Totah, Jerry Segal & Bob Pancoast. This isn't the only Smith I've been listening to. Also digging into Walk, Don't Run!; Kaleidoscope & The Sound of the Johnny Smith Guitar. Self-taught virtuoso with a clean sound.

24. cds23

HAROLD LAND / WEST COAST BLUES / JAZZLAND / 1960 / ORIGINAL JAZZ CLASSICS CD REISSUE OF JLP-920

JOE GORDON (TRUMPET); HAROLD LAND (TENOR SAXOPHONE); WES MONTGOMERY (GUITAR); BARRY HARRIS (PIANO); SAM JONES (BASS); LOUIS HAYES (DRUMS)

PRODUCED BY ORRIN KEEPNEWS. RECORDED MAY 17 AND 18, 1960 IN SAN FRANCISCO BY WALLY HEIDER. PHOTOGRAPHY BY JERRY STOLL. COVER DESIGN BY KEN DEARDOFF. LINER NOTES BY ORRIN KEEPNEWS. MASTERED BY KIRK FELTON AT FANTASY STUDIOS, BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA.

[​IMG]

25. Bobby Buckshot

[​IMG]

Mingus' The Clown with Shafi Hadi, Knepper, Richmond, Wade Legge and a cameo by the great Jean Shepherd as narrator on the title track. Listening via the Rhino/Atlantic deluxe CD with the 2 bonus tracks. Knepper can get a bit distorted during his solos, which doesn't take away from the music for me. But is there a definitive digital version of this out there? I would guess one of the Japanese issues but then again maybe it's intrinsic to the recording.