The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Keith Jarrett Trio - Standards Live
    ECM (1986)
    PROZ-1105
    Tower Records Japan SHM-SACD Series

Piano – Keith Jarrett
    Bass – Gary Peacock
    Drums – Jack DeJohnette

[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bohemia After Dark - Various Artists (Savoy Jazz) CD

This CD issue credits Cannonball as the main man. The original LP release had Kenny Clarke top billing.

3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I really like the opening paragraph of the liner notes on this record by Dom Cerulli.

"John Coltrane is a quiet, powerfully-built young man who plays tenor saxophone quite unlike anyone in all of jazz. His style has been described as "sheets of sound” or as “flurries of melody.” But, despite the accuracy, or lack of accuracy of such descriptions, it is a fact that Coltrane’s style is wholly original and of growing influence among new tenor players ."

4. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

This Herbie Nicols album and Mr Nichols himself is new to me but I am already giving it classic status.
    [​IMG]

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

cds23 likes this.
  6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

THE COMPLETE VEE JAY LEE MORGAN-WAYNE SHORTER SESSIONS / MOSAIC / 2001 / 6CD BOX SET

1. THE YOUNG LIONS SESSION
    RECORDED AT BELL SOUND STUDIO B, NYC, APRIL 25, 1960 BY BILL STODDARD
    LEE MORGAN (TRUMPET); FRANK STROZIER (ALTO SAXOPHONE); WAYNE SHORTER (TENOR SAXOPHONE); BOBBY TIMMONS (PIANO); BOB CRANSHAW (BASS); LOUIS HAYES (DRUMS)

2. HERE'S LEE MORGAN SESSION
    RECORDED AT BELL SOUND STUDIO B, NYC, FEBRUARY 3 AND 8, 1960 BY BILL STODDARD
    LEE MORGAN (TRUMPET); CLIFFORD JORDAN (TENOR SAXOPHONE); WYNTON KELLY (PIANO); PAUL CHAMBERS (BASS); ART BLAKEY (DRUMS)

3. EXPOOBIDENT SESSION
    RECORDED AT UNIVERSAL RECORDING, CHICAGO, OCTOBER 14, 1960 BY BRUCE SWEDIEN
    LEE MORGAN (TRUMPET); CLIFFORD JORDAN (TENOR SAXOPHONE); EDDIE HIGGINS (PIANO); ART DAVIS (BASS); ART BLAKEY (DRUMS)

4. INTRODUCING WAYNE SHORTER SESSON
    RECORDED AT FINE SOUND, NYC, NOVEMBER 9 AND 10, 1959
    LEE MORGAN (TRUMPET); WAYNE SHORTER (TENOR SAXOPHONE); WYNTON KELLY (PIANO); PAUL CHAMBERS (BASS); JIMMY COBB (DRUMS)

5. SECOND GENESIS SESSION
    RECORDED AT UNIVERSAL RECORDING, CHICAGO, OCTOBER 11, 1960 BY BRUCE SWEDIEN
    WAYNE SHORTER (TENOR SAXOPHONE); CEDAR WALTON (PIANO); BOB CRANSHAW (BASS); ART BLAKEY (DRUMS)

6. WAYNING MOMENTS SESSION
    RECORDED AT UNIVERSAL RECORDING, CHICAGO, NOVEMBER 2 AND 6, 1960 BY BRUCE SWEDIEN
    FREDDIE HUBBARD (TRUMPET); WAYNE SHORTER (TENOR SAXOPHONE), EDDIE HIGGINS (PIANO); JYMIE MERRITT (BASS); MARSHALL THOMPSON (DRUMS)

ORIGINAL SESSIONS PRODUCED BY SID MCCOY. BOX SET PRODUCED BY MICHAEL CUSCUNA AND CHARLIE LOURIE. PHOTOGRAPHY BY CHUCK STEWART AND FRANCIS WOLFF. REMIXES, TAPE TRANSFERS AND MASTERING BY MALCOLM ADDEY AT MALCOLM ADDEY STUDIO, NYC.

[​IMG]

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Lorraine Gordon, the owner of the Village Vanguard jazz club in NYC, has died aged 95. As I said in the separate thread, jazz owes her a lot.

Lucca90 and Robitjazz like this.
  8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Great album, totally underrated!

Cactus Bob likes this.
  9. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Freddie Hubbard - The Night of the Cookers, Volume 2
    Blue Note (1966)
    TOCJ-4208

Trumpet – Freddie Hubbard
    Trumpet - Lee Morgan
    Alto Saxophone, Flute – James Spaulding
    Piano – Harold Mabern
    Bass – Larry Ridley
    Congas – Big Black
    Drums – Pete La Roca

[​IMG]

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Hank Mobley's "Soul Station". I could see why Miles thought he sort of was a half step behind him. But HM was dedicated to mid-tempo swinging. I guess you could call it a more thoughtful, almost reflective, approach to music relative to a lot of the other stuff happening in jazz in the 60's. But he cultivated those grooves very well.

12. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou
    Ethiopiques, Vol. 21
    Beautiful solo piano

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I like this one but always get bored about halfway in. So I often listen to the first half, or the second half.

johnnypaddock and Jackie P like this.
  14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Dootone Boplicity Records UK Press CDBOP 007) 1996 .... recorded April 1958 @ Los Angeles, California .... Harold Land (ts) + Rolf Ericson (tp) + Elmo Hope (p) + Curtis Counce (b) + Frank Butler (dr) .... Curtis Counce recorded a bunch of terrific dates as leader and this one really shines (Harold Land !!) ....

Cactus Bob, fingerpoppin and J.A.W. like this.
  15. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Horace Tapscott - The Dark Tree 1 & 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. [​IMG]

Richie Kamuca Quartet | 4 - Richie Kamuca Quartet (V.S.O.P. / Mode) CD
    with
    Richie Kamuca (tenor sax), Carl Perkins (piano), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Stan Levey (drums)

Recorded 1957

This is a very enjoyable album. I ordered it online with a few other V.S.O.P. titles last week. This was the first title to arrive and to my great disappointment it was secretly issued CD-R, complete with original CD packaging. Unfortunately I will take no pleasure in adding V.S.O.P albums to an ever lengthening (CD-R) label boycott list

17. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Getz Meets Mulligan in Hi-Fi
    Verve, 1957/1961

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, fingerpoppin and J.A.W. like this.
  18. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

I just bought the AP pressings of Art Pepper on The Legend Series, The Intimate Art Pepper, The New York album and the other one, of which I don't remember the title and am really looking forward to hearing them. I'm just getting to know jazz and Art Pepper's music is the kind that strikes me as some of the most enjoyable. I only have tow other albums of his on Original Jazz Classics and, oh boy, are they ever good. Adventurous, tuneful and just plain fun. The man knew how to swing. :righton:

AxiomAcoustics and MagicAlex like this.
  19. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Ike Quebec — It Might as Well Be Spring
    Donald Byrd— Black Byrd
    Rahsaan Roland Kirk — Rip, Rig and Panic

20. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Bobby Hutcherson: Dialogue

Bobby Hutcherson – vibraphone (all), marimba (3,4,6).
    Sam Rivers – tenor saxophone (1,6) soprano saxophone (5), bass clarinet (4), flute (2,3)
    Freddie Hubbard – trumpet
    Andrew Hill – piano
    Richard Davis – double bass
    Joe Chambers – drums

Recorded at Rudy's on April 3, 1965. For those who long for more Blue Note Sam Rivers? The lost (read: unrecognized) Andrew Hill Album? A Bobby Hutcherson album? A Freddie Hubbard album? A Joe Chambers album? A masterpiece? All of the above.

Roster does not a masterpiece make but in this case (IMO) it does. As to Andrew Hill? Four of the six compositions are his. The other two are from the sticks of Joe Chambers. Slot this in with those stunning statements from Jackie McLean, Grachan Moncur, Eric Dolphy, Don Cherry et al during this period. In fact, the only thing that may make this even better would be the burnished 'bone of Moncur, he'd fit right in. No matter, in this case roster does make the masterpiece.

This "Heavenly Sweetness" pressing is not so heavenly. Oh Music Matters, why oh why only one Hutch reissue?????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top notch Jazz Sweater.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  21. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Herbie Mann - Just Wailin'
    Prestige/New Jazz
    New Jazz Chronicle Series
    SHM-CD

Flute – Herbie Mann
    Guitar – Kenny Burrell
    Piano – Mal Waldron
    Tenor Saxophone – Charlie Rouse
    Bass – George Joyner
    Drums – Arthur Taylor

[​IMG]

22. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

HOWARD RUMSEY'S LIGHTHOUSE ALL STARS / VOL. 6 / CONTEMPORARY / 1955 / ORIGINAL MONO DEEP GROOVE C3504 LP

CONTE CANDOLI (TRUMPET); BOB COOPER (TENOR SAXOPHONE); BUD SHANK (ALTO SAXOPHONE, FLUTE); FRANK ROSOLINO (TROMBONE); STU WILLIAMSON (VALVE TROMBONE); CLAUDE WILLIAMSON (PIANO); HOWARD RUMSEY (BASS); STAN LEVEY (DRUMS)

PRODUCED BY LESTER KOENIG. RECORDED IN HOLLYWOOD, DECEMBER 3, 1954 (#A1, A3, B1), FEBRUARY 22, 1955 (#A5, B4), MARCH 1, 1955 (#A2, A4, B2, B3) BY JOHN PALLADINO. PHOTOGRAPHY BY WILLIAM CLAXTON. LINER NOTES BY HOWARD RUMSEY AND LESTER KOENIG.

[​IMG]

23. [​IMG]

Sonny Clark Trio - Sonny Clark Trio (Time) SHM-CD
    with
    Sonny Clark (piano), George Duvivier (bass), Max Roach (drums)

According to the sleeve these sides were recorded January, 1959

Great sound on the SHM-CD, mastered by Bernie Grundman.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, xybert, fatwad666 and 5 others like this.
  24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

The track listing on your CD looked familiar so I checked and sure enough many of the tracks listed are included on the recent Tomkins Square reissue of the Sonny Clark Trio - The 1960 Time Sessions which was recorded January 5 and 6, 1960. As a matter of fact your CD label has the original Time Records logo so I think were speaking of one in the same.
    [​IMG]

xybert likes this.
  25. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

From memory, the SHM-CD by Grundman has one alternate take not on your LP reissue and vice versa.