The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

That's what you did, indeed. Thanks, Hans. But I didn't imagine it would be this good. :righton:
    The sound on this UK first press sounds is excellent by the way. I see the CD has two bonus tracks, maybe I should buy it too.

2. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

The Max Roach Trio featuring the legendary Hasaan

[​IMG]

Berthold, Moebius, lwh1 and 3 others like this.
  3. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Louis Smith - Smithville

CD reissue (Blue Note Connoisseur Series) Only heard of Louis Smith recently, likely from this forum. Incredibly enjoyable session — especially for Sonny Clark's contribution.

Marzz, MagicAlex, DrJ and 2 others like this.
  4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Now playing: Nels Cline - Lovers

[​IMG]

Spadeygrove, mwheelerk and scompton like this.
  5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Just got the Legacy CD reissue of this recently. Great!

Cactus Bob likes this.
  6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The Latin Side of Joe Henderson (Half Note). A smoking take on some great Joe pieces (including “Recorda Me,” “Mamacita,” “Inner Urge,” “Afro-Centric,” “Black Narcissus”) plus long time collaborator Kenny Dorham’s “Blue Bossa” all arranged expertly in Latin jazz mode by trombonist Herwig. This is fabulous - great playing by the entire band (leader Herwig, trumpeter Alex Sipigian, tenor giant Joe Lovano and baritone vet Ronnie Cuber all excel) and live sound (captured at the Blue Note in NYC). The rhythm section is superb and I love the use of electric bass - not always my preference in jazz but it adds a nice resonance and groove here perfectly complimenting the arrangements. Lovano at times sounds like he is channeling Henderson’s spirit especially on “Mamacita” where the commonalities are downright eerie. Five stars all the way and a must for Henderson fanatics.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Keith Jarrett - Fort Yawuh
    Impulse! (1973)
    UCCI-9051
    Impulse! More Best 50 Series

Piano – Keith Jarrett
    Tenor Saxophone – Dewey Redman
    Percussion – Danny Johnson
    Bass – Charlie Haden
    Drums – Paul Motian

[​IMG]

8. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

I'm sure you know this excellent 1997 parent record: Christian McBride, Roy Hargrove, Mark Whitfield (g) - Fingerpainting: The Music of Herbie Hancock.

[​IMG]

9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Yes! Payton's versatility is amazing.

10. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

SELDON POWELL / SELDON POWELL / ROOST / 1955 / BRITISH VOGUE FIRST PRESSING DEEP GROOVE LAE 12184 LP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz and J.A.W. like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Nice!

12. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fats Navarro - Featured with the Tadd Dameron Band

CD reissue (Milestone) Mastered by Kirk Felton, according to the liner notes, from 1961 tape transfers of air-check acetates. Unexpectedly, am completely blown away by the alto sax player on the first six tracks, Rudy Williams.

13. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Ahhh, a flying saucer I see....we have the same taste in tables...

Cactus Bob, Robitjazz and smilin ed like this.
  14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I had to do a double take on the Breeze From The East cover, I thought it was a Jade Warrior album

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul
    Blue Note (1962)
    TOCJ-4093
    BN Works 4000 Series

Tenor Saxophone – Ike Quebec
    Organ – Freddie Roach
    Bass – Milt Hinton
    Drums – Al Harewood

[​IMG]

Morbius, Yost, vanhooserd and 7 others like this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

17. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Miles Davis "Water Babies" (reissue with additional track)

vanhooserd, MagicAlex and SJR like this.
  18. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Kenny Dorham – Una Mas (Blue Note, 1963)

[​IMG]

This is Liberty, 1966 – 70, West Coast, Bert-Co. Not Van Gelder, and I have nothing to compare it to. Such a terrific album.

vanhooserd, Marzz, Berthold and 8 others like this.
  19. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Jack DeJohnette - Pictures

CD reissue. Love to hear unaccompanied drumming from favorite drummers, which defines a large portion of this release. Have been checking out more ECM albums since their debut on streaming services, and this is one of the few that got designated "must own" other than Ruta and Daitya and Bennie Maupin's The Jewel in the Lotus.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I picked this up today on a whim and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's nice, under control, traditional jazz ala Dave Brubeck Time Out, but without as inventiveness of arrangements, or perhaps Henry Mancini style Jazz. I found some info on it, which was cruel to the record:

Modern Jazz
    Ronnie Lang And His All Stars
    TOPS L1521

From Billboard - January 26, 1957: Quality, more than price, usually dictates jazz sales. This 12-incher is tagged at $1.49, the cover is intriguing and the 12 good tunes (mainly well-known standards) are listed on the cover, where the rack buyers can spot 'em. With Lang, but not listed on the front, are Dave Pell, Marty Palch and Bob Enevoldsen, all of the West Coast clique. The jazz is bland and uninspired. Possibly there will be some "impulse" sales, but the "cats" will probably shun this.

Not kind, but "bland and uninspired" is frankly a nice change now and then from the Ornette Colemans and Monk avant-gardists of the world. This is sitting down in a little jazz cafe and hearing a few recognizable tunes, played recognizably, by some good musicians. No frills, but nice friendly jazz. Sometimes, this "cat" doesn't always want to be challenged by the hepist jazz: sometimes he just wants to hear some nice standards played well without having to endure a plethora of soul atmosphere-searching, quacking and honking solos. Back in Jan 1957, I'm sure Billboard critics were hot for all the latest "innovations" and Jazz landscape-changing sounds, but this is a really nice, cozy jazz album for relaxing to with a vintage vibe. Nice recording, too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    vanhooserd likes this.
  21. Westerwick

Westerwick Forum Resident

I bought Song X in the mid eighties but just never got into it, still in the house somewhere...

22. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Andrew Hill - Blue Black
    East Wind (1977)
    UCCJ-9034
    East Wind Masterpiece Complete Collection

Piano – Andrew Hill
    Flute, Soprano Saxophone, Alto Saxophone – Jimmy Vass
    Bass – Chris White
    Drums – Leroy Williams

[​IMG]

Marzz, Voltaire, Cactus Bob and 3 others like this.
  23. [​IMG]

Lullaby Of Birdland - Lee Konitz featuring Barry Harris (Candid) CD
    with
    Lee Konitz (alto & soprano sax), Barry Harris (piano), Calvin Hill (Bass), Leroy Williams (drums)

Recorded 1991

[​IMG]

24. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dig Dug DoG - Lee Konitz (Columbia) DSD/Master Sound CD
    with
    Lee Konitz (alto sax), Laurent de Wilde (piano), Ira Coleman (bass), Dion Parson (drums), Keiko Lee (vocal - 3 tracks)

Recorded in Tokyo 1997

25. Completing a 'hat trick' of Lee Konitz albums with...

[​IMG]

Figure & Spirit - Lee Konitz Quintet (Progressive) CD
    with
    Lee Konitz (alto sax), Ted Brown (tenor sax), Rufus Reid (bass), Albert Dailey (piano), Joe Chambers (drums)

Recorded 1976

A thoroughly enjoyable Lee Konitz Quintet album, and it was all recorded in one take!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    vanhooserd, Marzz, Cactus Bob and 4 others like this.