The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Still love the Mobley titles, too. I just felt there were too many compared to more adventurous artists/albums.

2. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Miles Davis ~ Get Up With It
    Columbia double lp comp., 1974

Recorded in sessions between 1970 and 1974.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I’m envious! Your copy is in so much nicer shape than mine! I still play it regularly, though. I haven’t found a nice copy that’s reasonably priced.... yet.

Cactus Bob likes this.
  4. Cactus Bob

I was lucky to find this one in the wild and it is in fine condition. Whenever I buy an album from a record store I adhere the label on the inside of the sleeve and this one was 24.99 about 5 years ago.

Eigenvector likes this.
  5. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Roland Kirk - We Free Kings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Saturday afternoon listening . . .

[​IMG]
    1959/2017 Atlantic ‎– 1311, Atlantic ‎– 081227945251, Atlantic ‎– SD 1311, Atlantic ‎– RR1 555371 (Mono).
    • The legendary jazz giant's classic Atlantic albums in mono. 180-gram vinyl. Rhino vinyl.

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Maybe an odd request but here goes. Some of you guys post some beautiful large cover images. I am in need of a large good quality cover of Ron Carter Anything Goes. If someone has one they could post then thank you so much.

8. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

"For Governmental Sale Only." That's a new one to me. Was it for sale on military bases or something, I wonder.

Cactus Bob and ciderglider like this.
  9. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Kenny Burrell - 5 Original Albums

Thanks to @Jackie P for recommending this set.

Got to compare the above set's contents to some earlier CD issues.
    • Introducing Kenny Burrell and Kenny Burrell seem to be sourced from the 2CD Introducing Kenny Burrell (Connoisseur CD Series, 2000, mastered by Ron McMaster)
    • Blue Lights Volume 1 and Blue Lights Volume 2 seem to be sourced from the 2CD Blue Lights Volumes 1&2 (1997, Ron McMaster), which are different than the 1989 separate CD issues of Volume 1 and 2 (also by Ron McMaster)
    • On View at the Five Spot Cafe may be a new digital remastering, possibly(?) exclusive to this box. iTunes labels this as a "2017 Remaster", possibly indicating that this is sourced from Bernie Grundman's latest transfers (just a guess), and it is audibly different than the 1987 Ron McMaster mastering
    Was impressed with how enjoyable this 5 Original Albums set was, and would highly recommend it to anyone seeking out these albums. An absolute bargain at about $15 — less than $3 a CD for some stellar masterings and a listening experience that you won't want to end.

Also checked out the Freddie Hubbard 5 Original Albums set, but returned it after hearing what seemed to be the RVG Edition masterings for at least two of the discs.

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I agree with your assessment and titles recommended. The "inside/out" stuff are my favorite of the catalog. Too bad that more of them were not ever given the SACD treatment back in the AP heyday (not a vinyl collector)...especially Hutcherson, McLean and Hill's later titles. I think they probably would have sold better than projected. I did insure that I grabbed the Mosaics when they came out. One example of an (almost) absolute free Blue Note is Cecil Taylor's Unit Structures which I am listening to now. I've always found it to be tedious to listen to.

What I've often wondered is what motivated this in/out sound. Sometimes there will be one of these "one-off" type of offerings in the artists discography sandwiched between somewhat standard type recordings? Were they just testing the waters for commercial viability? Drug culture? Social engineering (life after Woodstock)?

A good recommendation for an "inside/out" Blue Note is the Lee Morgan self titled album from '71. I highly recommend it and the Lighthouse Recordings. I like the direction that Lee was headed before we lost him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
    Blue Note (1966)
    TOCJ-4237
    BN Works 4200 Series

Piano, Bells – Cecil Taylor
    Trumpet – Eddie Gale Stevens Jr.
    Alto Saxophone – Jimmy Lyons
    Alto Saxophone, Oboe, Bass Clarinet – Ken McIntyre
    Bass – Alan Silva, Henry Grimes
    Drums – Andrew Cyrille

[​IMG]

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

(see bold) That's because AP owner Chad Kassem, whom I had contact with back when they were preparing the Blue Note SACD series, is a soul-jazz fan and doesn't really like the more advanced kind of jazz they were exploring at Blue Note in the 1960s.

DrJ and MagicAlex like this.
  13. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Ike Quebec: The Blue Note 45 Sessions 1

[​IMG]

14. Cactus Bob

I never heard of it either and was thinking the same thing.

15. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

16. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

17. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

18. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

You're on an ECM roll!

Jackie P and Voltaire like this.
  19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I guess I never really felt there had to be obvious signs of what kind of music was being played or even subtle cues. Some of the best album covers ever are either just pure designs or photos that really have nothing to do with the genre. Here's a good example:

[​IMG]
    Not much in the way of cues to the genre, unless you happen to know the work of the named folks already. It could be hard rock or garage or whatever.

The Legrand album does say something about jazzmen and lists the tracks which anyone with even a passing acquaintance with the music will recognize as jazz warhorses. I don't think Michel looks particularly "dorky" or MOR (at least in ways that he could control).

Just more food for thought. I find this topic kind of interesting - what people expect/anticipate from cover art (if they care at all).

Erik B., Cactus Bob, BKphoto and 7 others like this.
  20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

That is a wonderful album, one of the sleepers in the Blue Note catalog. With this one and the Lighthouse live recordings, I agree you really do get the sense he was headed in new directions, making his early demise all the more tragic.

MagicAlex and jay.dee like this.
  21. cds23

Just saw the new Blue Note documentary "It Must Schwing" at the movies tonight and thought it was pretty good.
    In the last few minutes Benny Maupin and Rudy Van Gelder talked about "At the Lighthouse" by Lee Morgan and that Francis Wolf died soon after.

22. cds23

LARRY YOUNG / OF LOVE AND PEACE / BLUE NOTE / 1966 / EARLY REPRESS WITH "LIBERTY" LABELS FROM 1967

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still have to "work my way through" this album, but by now I already feel that "Seven Steps To Heaven" rendition is killing.

What about the Blue Note albums that came after this one? Could Larry uphold the quality of "Into Something'" and "Unity" or was the bar raised much too high for that? How do the Mosaic box owners feel about those?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  23. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

The original cover is better designed you're right. I just prefer the photo from the philips one. Conducting w shades= jazz!

DrJ likes this.
  24. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Thelonious Monk: In Rotterdam 1967

[​IMG]

25. [​IMG]

A Message From Birdland - Maynard Ferguson (Roulette) CD
    with
    Maynard Ferguson (trumpet & valve trombone)
    Don Ellis, Jerry Tyree, Clyde Reasinger (trumpets)
    Slide Hampton, Don Sebesky (trombones)
    Jimmy Ford (alto sax)
    Carmen Leggio, Willie Maiden (tenor sax)
    John Lanni (baritone sax)
    Joe Zawinul (piano)
    Jimmy Rowser (bass)
    Frankie Dunlop (drums)

Recorded 1959, live at Birdland, "The Jazz Corner Of The World".

Tracks 1-7 issued on original LP release.
    Tracks 8-12 originally issued on Mosaic's The Complete Roulette Recordings of the Maynard Ferguson Orchestra.

24 bit CD mastered by Ron McMaster

I only got wise last year to this highly enjoyable big band CD release. Better late than never!