The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Michel PetruccianiDate with Time (Owl Records—Mesa/Bluemoon)
    — solo piano; two originals, plus tunes by Coltrane, Monk, Charles Lloyd, Wes Montgomery

[​IMG]

DrJ, Cactus Bob, Fastnbulbous and 2 others like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Is that an original or a different cover for something else? I don't know that Pearson album at all.

NP Neil Ardley - Kaleidoscope Of Rainbows (Dusk Fire Records/Gulf Entertainment) Pure Pleasure reissue.
    British jazz is my Achilles heal so I watched this lp sit in the racks at Rasputin's in Berkeley for over a year and the price tag started coming down over time until it got to around $15 (from a high of $30) and I decided to take a chance on it.
    While I'm not very interested in synthesizers in jazz, they are used sparingly and tastefully so it has been an easier go as I've explored this title. It is fairly dense music so lots going on to absorb.

Marzz likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Agreed. It was Kelly that did it for me. The Blackhawk sides. . . and especially his one brief solo feature. That led me to seek out his appearances, and as a result I found a lot of Blue Note and VeeJay and Riverside etc. players and leaders to enjoy.

4. Lonson

That has had several covers and pressings. Here is another that has additional material from the session:

[​IMG]

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes, he was definitely in the show. He wasn't a main character or anything, just part of the natural surroundings of N.O.

NP Kenny Burrell - eponymous (Prestige) OJC black & yellow mono label.
    It's not advertised as such but the entire ensemble is from Detroit.

Marzz, Cactus Bob and ronfint like this.
  6. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

In my search at Discogs I didn't find Hush but I'll go back and see if this version is there. I did discover another Pearson album I didn't have from the early days, Angel Eyes, a trio setting on Polydor from1968. Must have been a recording in Europe while on tour or something like that. It's the only album of his on Polydor that I saw.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Randy Weston - Blue Moses (CTI) original mustard colored label.

I've always had a hard time with Randy playing electric piano here which keeps it from beng in the upper echelon of his
    discography for me but I still enjoy tge album. It just doesn't really sound like a Weston album to my ears.
    Grover Washington delivers one of his best performances on the album imo.

DrJ, Marzz, Cactus Bob and 4 others like this.
  9. Lonson

I love Blue Moses, love the sound of Weston on electric piano. That said I have read (source I think is Chuck Nessa) that this was an album Weston took issue with because he was convinced to record on electric piano, though he didn't want to.

10. Lonson

I think the "Grooving for Nat" on Black Lion may be a cd issue.

Here's the original lp on discogs:

The Duke Pearson Quintet - Hush! »

Not surprisingly no one seems to have a copy for sale. This first appearance was a pretty rare LP I think.

11. Lonson

Actually this trio material is more material originally recorded for Jazzline in the US, but not released until it was released in Japan 35 years later or so. And it, with additional takes, also was released on cd by Black Lion as "Bags Groove". . . .

Angel Eyes (Duke Pearson album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

[​IMG]

I have the Black Lion cds. Nice stuff! (Of course, Pearson was great).

Marzz and ronfint like this.
  12. ronfint

ronfint Forum Resident

Yes, my copy is a Japanese repressing. Nice album!

Six String likes this.
  13. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Frank Lowe - Black Beings

[​IMG]

93curr, JustLust, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  14. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Not quite jazz, but it operates in some of the same circles...

[​IMG]

15. Lonson

16. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

[​IMG]

Cool Struttin'
    Sonny Clark -- inspired by that "recommend some Hard Bop" thread from a few days back

Mik, 93curr, charlesp and 17 others like this.
  17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Gerald Wilson's Orchestra of the 90's – Jenna (Discovery Records)
    — With Snooky Young, Raymond Brown, Robert Clark, Rick Baptist, Ronald Barrows, Oscar Bashear / Thurman Green, Luis Bonilla, Charles Loper, Maurice R Spears / Daniel House, John Stephens, Louis Taylor Jr, Carl Randall / Anthony Wilson, Michael Cain, Stanley Gilbert, Mel Lee

[​IMG]

18. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Donald Harrison - Nouveau Swing
    Donald Harrison, alto sax; Anthony Wonsey, piano;
    Christian McBride/ Rueben Rogers, bass; Carl Allen/ Dion Parson, drums.

[​IMG]

DrJ, Marzz, Cactus Bob and 3 others like this.
  19. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

The reinforcements have arrived! ;)

[​IMG]

It is going to be a nice evening. :righton:

Mik, charlesp, JustLust and 16 others like this.
  20. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

Whilst this is a beautiful version, I cannot block Homer singing it to Marge out of my mind.

DrJ likes this.
  21. Lonson

[​IMG]

DrJ likes this.
  22. Scopitone

Here's something random that comes up a lot with Jazz reissues: If it's an album that's new to you, do you prefer to listen to the track order as originally released?

Example: Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse original double album had 4 tracks. The CD release has 12 tracks (plus an intro). And even the original 4 tracks are slightly longer on the CD (if wikipedia is to be trusted). I often find myself making playlists in Google Play or Spotify with the original track list. I feel like I want to hear it for the first time as much as possible the way the original listeners heard it. (yes, I know, it should be the original vinyl - but I have to do what I have to do)

23. Lonson

I find if I haven't heard the original album or not been really familiar with it then the reissue sequencing is fine with me and I just listen as is. If it's an album I know well from the past, I tend to want to listen to it in original sequence. Thus even though I will have box sets of Miles, Trane, Ornette, etc. that have tons of additional material etc. I tend to listen to the reissues of the original albums that have original sequence. (That they often offer better sound is also an incentive).

Scopitone likes this.
  24. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Playing a 24/192 Hi Res file. Can't play vinyl at work.

[​IMG]

Mik, charlesp, JustLust and 13 others like this.
  25. Scopitone

[​IMG]

Finished up the Sonny Clark Struttin' album (terrific), and I thought I would do what you guys are always saying to do: Look up the sidemen on a album I enjoy, and see what else they have done.

Meet the Jazztet
    Art Farmer and Benny Golson
    With Curtis Fuller (trombone), McCoy Tyner (piano), Addison Farmer (bass), Lex Humphries (drums)

Farmer is the trumpet player on Cool Struttin'.

Mik, charlesp, DrJ and 11 others like this.