The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society - 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Now Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Wrote to BMG and asked for the missing card.

JohnKale and wayneklein like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I've got no idea! To be honest I've stopped following this thread because of certain differences concerning the evaluation of this set's sets presentation. :biglaugh:

The good thing: I've rediscovered "Word Of Mouth" and "State Of Confusion", two albums I hadn't heard since... well.... 1990? And I was surprised how good they are! :righton:

NOS300B, ajsmith and cwitt1980 like this.
  3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

The 2018 remaster sucks, and they felt the need to replace the previous version on Apple Music with it, which suuucks. I mean, it's a big downgrade.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Kinks aren't a hifi band, no Dark Side Of The Moon high end stuff.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. alexpop

Autograph pic either left out as it was too heavy to be included( postal weight issue), or kinks didn't like the idea of signature copying fraud maybe. Or of course a silly oversight, which case I have to contact record company. Aforementioned autographed photo is advertised on the back on the box. I mean.:waiting:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. Isn't that what I wrote? Yes, why yes it is. :p

Grains of salt. You mentioned Apple Music and you listen on an iPhone...which is cool, mind you, but not quite the litmus test for SQ, is it? :whistle: I mean, it might suck; I haven't heard it, yet I imagine that a system that's more resolving would a better gauge for sussing out the intricacies of a recording.

Wilco and Mark E. Moon like this.
  7. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

How strange, I was just thinking the other day how crisp and wonderful it sounded.

8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

To my astonishment SOV offered me my money back or a voucher for the online store. In my haste, I took the voucher which I will use to buy the Breaking Bad set.

I pointed out twice in writing to them that the records were in perfect condition and was expecting maybe a rebate of 20-30€ but no, they gave me the lot.

It’s all very tedious though ; last night I came home to find that Amazon have managed to 'lose' my order for three of the Beatles' packages and the new Jethro Tull.

9. alexpop

I'll happily buy in a store even if their charging more. Like to see what I'm buying.

croquetlawns likes this.
  10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Apple Music has 320kbs files, which is all you need. Well, it's 70 off but uses a better system than MP3's. It's also an iPhone plugged into a mixing desk. Pretty much, unless you've got ab ultra high end system, me listening through my iPhone and Apple Music doesn't matter, and it's the headphones that count

EVOLVIST likes this.
  11. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Listening to CD 3 and the first half of CD 5 feels a bit like how Charlie might have felt in the Chocolate Factory but with Ray Davies playing Wonka (sorry for the poor analogy.)
    I get mixed feelings. For instance the first track I went for was the backing track for my favourite kinks song "Do You Remember Walter."
    On first listen it was revelatory, getting to hear Dave's intricate yet dishevelled guitar part clearly. But after a second go I felt that by listening I had demistified the song. A bit like having a magic trick explained to you. Its good but in future I'll stick to the 12 track stereo version.
    The feeling of trespassing continues on the great remixes with the outros. Monica and People Take Pictures of Each Other go on for a little longer but are cut short by a parsimonious tape saving Ray (or Pye.) Monica in particular had the potential to turn into a decent jam and Ray cuts PTPOEO down with "alright" which upsets the image I had of the band having a happy sing along by tbe piano.
    Unlike their contemporaries, the Kinks were concise.
    Though backing tracks can spoil the magic of our favourite tracks this can't be said about the Animal Farm backing track on Disc 5. Its just amazing!!

12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

‘Time is a precious thing. Never waste it.’ W.Wonka or maybe R.Davies?

Thanks for the image of Davies as Wonka. I think it fits surprisingly well! Both elusive fellows.

13. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

They wrote back & said it would be sent. So that's good.

nfmboss666 likes this.
  14. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Sorry, I must have missed that, but what tracks are on the "old" 3-CD set and not on the new edition?

15. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

16. It’s a few of pages back. I think it was Thursday that someone posted it.

Matthew Tate and Nightswimmer like this.
  17. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Matthew Tate and Nightswimmer like this.
  18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

:rolleyes:

Wilco, bubba-ho-tep, btltez and 2 others like this.
  19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Did you hear the previous release on there? So warm and detailed in comparison.

20. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Just received this email.....

“Hi

We’re very sorry about the missing Kinks Village Green box set photo, which was down to a production issue.

We’re currently printing out replacement photos and will post you one as soon as possible. Please advise the best address to send this to.

Hope you enjoy the set.

BMG UK”

Looks like we’re getting the autographed photo after all!

21. Woodhill78

Woodhill78 Forum Resident

I got the standalone euro stereo pressing of Village green a couple of days ago, was under the impression that this was gonna be a digital cut from high res, but clearly stated on the insert that this is cut from analog tape by Kevin Gray.

A well respected man and FJFP like this.
  22. Dan MacIntosh

Dan MacIntosh Active Member

23. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Could you supply a photo of the insert? This is clearly missing from the SDE, and would be cool to see. Great news!

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Where does it say analog tape?
    And how does it sound compared to an original? Thanks

25. Woodhill78

Woodhill78 Forum Resident

Ok, it stands: Analog masteting for vinyl by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, Ca.
    And analoge tape transfer by Richard Whittaker and Kevin Vanberg at FX Copyroom, London.

Do not have any original to compare it to. sorry.