The La's & Lee Mavers - the great one album wonder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guidedbyvoices, Oct 23, 2013.

1. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

I like to know how much John Powers was involved; he has gone to lead "Cast"; an excellent band.

Rick A.

2. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I think John was the Dr. Watson to Lee's Holmes during the key years, laying down the bottom end and harmonizing. Towards the end, he also started writing and singing ("All Right" and "Follow Me Down," maybe others), before leaving to form Cast. Before he left, I just assumed the second La's album was going to feature at least a couple of John's songs. Ah, the notion of a second La's album... were we ever that young?

Roland Stone and longdist01 like this.
  3. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I know the full interview has been posted earlier in this thread - but here is "Timeless Melody" as it was meant to be heard (imo). I feel like this must be what Mavers was hearing in his head when he complained about the actual release (which I love). But this has to be my favorite version of any LA's track. Perhaps my favorite version of any song.

I continue to pine for that second album.

4. Peace N. Love

Fantastic. I may have been the first person to have shared this video around, so it's possible this might be the copy I taped off MuchMusic some 26 years ago.

CoryS and guidedbyvoices like this.
  5. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

It's amazing. Even more amazing is my one year old daughter and four year old son LOVE this version. Whenever the album version comes on they ask for the acoustic version. The first time I showed it to them they were entranced. The power of a good performance of an epic tune crosses many boundaries. Thanks for capturing this and sharing. It's priceless.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  6. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Such a powerful, distinctive voice.

mooseman likes this.
  7. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing the video of Timeless Melody, that was fantastic, these guys were truly talented. I still have my original UK edition cd. Need to mention the Mock Turtles, they also were similar in sound and song writing.

OneStepBeyond and longdist01 like this.
  8. Peace N. Love

Anything in particular that you'd recommend by the Mock Turtles?

9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The Mock Turtles only managed to put out one album that I know of and a best of, Turtle Soup and some singles and b sides. Top single was Can You Dig It.
    I highly recommend Turtle Soup.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  10. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

saw the La's on their one and only tour here in Bostoas for the Mock Turtles, there's a great comp from Imaginary Records from 1991 called 87-90 that has a lot of the earlier stuff, as well as the cd Can You Dig It? The Best Of, and i DO enjoy their Virgin/Siren LP "Two Sides" which is slicker, but still great!!!

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  11. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

'Likes' are well deserved here for the mention of The Mock Turtles. I was wracking my brains to try to work out how I know of them because I was certain I've got no albums or anything by them... although that changed this afternoon when I picked up their 12" single of And Then She Smiles - that's a catchy song and has two really good live tracks on the b-side. When adding it into my Discogs account, I saw their release of Are You Experienced and then it came to me that their version was included on a Hendrix tribute comp! So I shall certainly explore them further.

Back to the La's, then... :D

12. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

For the life of me, i cannot remember who was on the bill with the La's when i saw them here in Boston in 1990 or so....i keep thinking the Mighty Lemon Drops, but i have my doubts, but can't remember!

13. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Looks like they played with Straitjacket Fits at the Paradise in the summer of '91.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Twangy likes this.
  14. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

:D This thread is great. My Alternative Album got posted without me having to do any shilling :D

John Porcellino likes this.
  15. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Worth mentioning a recent release entitled "1987" on the Viper label for vinyl/CD if anyone's interested in expanding their The La's collection. Tracklisting is as follows:

The La’s 1987 – CD PRE-ORDER

Released 22/9/17

TRACK LISTING:

The Picket Session 11 – 27 May 1987
    1. Come In Come Out
    2. Liberty Ship
    3. Doledrum
    4. Way Out
    5. Callin’ All

De Freitas Session 25 – 26 April 1987
    6. Way Out
    7. Doledrum
    8. IOU
    9. Failure
    10. Timeless Melody
    11. Callin’ All
    12. Clean Prophet
    13. Son of a Gun
    14. I Can’t Sleep
    15. Liberty Ship
    16. Freedom Song

The Stables March – May 1987
    17. Looking Glass
    18. It’s Not Impossible

Live at ‘ The World Downstairs’ Royal Court 2 Oct 1987
    19. Feelin’
    20. Way Out
    21. I Can’t Sleep
    22. There She Goes
    23. Knock Me Down

Live at the Cafe Berlin 12 Feb 1987
    24. Jumpin’ Jack Flash
    25. The Way We Came

Order at Viper or Amazon UK

ex_mixer likes this.
  16. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

What are your thoughts on the original vinyl pressing? Just found one for a decent price...

17. granata

granata Forum Resident

Some gems on these decent quality releases. The first side of the vinyl version is magic.

18. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Awesome, CD ordered!

19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Thanks. It really shows the quality of these songs when I’ll never get bored no matter how many versions of these tracks I’ll have

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

21. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Beware - THE DIGITAL VERSIONS DON'T USE FULL-SIZE ART, IT'S BLURRY! AND YOU GET NO BOOKLET!

I hate the DeFreitas sessions there - sounds like a delay or reverb pedal on the main channel on the mixing desk. Horrid

For anyone not au fait with the La's catalogue, here's some amazing bsides that show another side to the band

22. Peace N. Love

Anyone had a chance to assess the 1987 comp?

23. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I think it sounds great. Would love to compare it to the reissue.

24. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

My order of The La’s 1987 CD from Amazon.co.uk arrived today....crazy packing job!!

:D:D:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I saw the La's in Boston, early '90s, at one of those free multi-artist concerts at the Hatch Shell, probably EarthFest.