The last music video you watched was and would you recommend it to others?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

Since we already have threads devoted to movies and DVD and Blu-ray, I thought I'd start a separate one for music videos since they seem to get buried in the other threads. The music videos can be collections of clips or full concerts, on any format.

If you liked it or didn't like it, tell us why, and whether or not you'd recommend it to others.

My two most recent:

Waylon Jennings: Never Say Die (2007) - When growing up, my mother was a big fan of "outlaw" country, of which I still remain a fan. This is Waylon Jennings final concert in 2000. Impeccable musicianship and lots of great songs.

[​IMG]

Queen + Paul Rodgers: Return of the Champions (2005) - Your tolerance for this will depend on whether or not you can stand watching someone else singing Freddy Mercury's parts. I thought Rodgers brought a nice edge to the songs and really enjoyed the lengthy showcases for both Brian May and Roger Taylor (Rodgers disappears for about 1/3 of the show). Think of it as a bunch of guys getting together to play Queen songs and it works. I enjoyed it enough to buy the subsequent Live in Ukraine release, though I haven't watched it yet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Tree of Life likes this.
  2. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Dissociatives - Live DVD. This is Daniel Johns from Silverchair and Paul Mac.

Few have heard of this "band" or album, and I've loved it for a decade. Keep wishing they'd do another one.

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

A few more recent ones:

Deep Purple: Perfect Strangers Live (2013) - I've been watching a lot of Deep Purple lately, but it's mostly been limited to the Steve Morse years. This one was shot during the reunion tour in 1984 and is enjoyable, if overlong. I find myself tiring about 90 minutes into most concert films and this one didn't hold my attention for the full two hours. The accompanying tour documentary is horrible - they'll have a interview running at the same time as some rehearsal audio is playing, making it difficult to focus on the interview and at the same time making you want to watch the full rehearsal. The band members spend a lot of time talking about how they've matured and how much they enjoy playing together again, however Richie Blackmore is conspicuously absent.

[​IMG]

Pavement: Slow Century (2002) - A collection of all of Pavement's music videos, most of which I've never seen because I didn't watch MTV during those years, as well as two concerts from 1999. Both of the concerts are shot by amateurs with two hand-held cameras and you get to choose with camera you want to watch with the "angle" button. The high-point of for me was the show from Seattle, which took place at the Showbox club downtown and is where I've attended countless shows (though not this one - it might have been sold out but I don't remember). One of the angles for the Showbox show is a camera that is on the stage and there are plenty of closeups and shots looking out at the audience. If you aren't a fan of shaky-cam, you won't like this one.

[​IMG]

Queen: Hungarian Rhapsody (2012) - Shot by the Hungarian government in 1986. Probably the best 1980s Queen concert out there. I'd have to give it the edge over Montreal 1981 due to the setting and the fantastic photography.

[​IMG]

Tree of Life likes this.
  4. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I'm actually watching "Squeeze Greatest Hits" on DVD right now. Current song- "Cool For Cats"

5. Steeve

Steeve Forum Resident

Zucchero : Una Rosa Blanca (live in Cuba)
    Zucchero doing what he does best !

6. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

ABB - Live at Beacon Theatre

[​IMG]

Tree of Life likes this.
  7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

AC/DC-Live at Donington looks and sounds fantastic!

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

The Band - The Last Waltz. Such a great band and great film. Bass player Rick Danko dominates this song.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

ABB - Live at Great Woods

[​IMG]

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Single music video:Rihanna - Bitch Better Have My Money (Explicit)
    Long form:Woodstock
    Beatles 1
    and Peter Paul and Mary Anniversary Celebration

11. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Thanks Holy Diver, I had to dig mine out! (It's been years)

[​IMG]

12. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

With all the current discussion in the "Let It Be" thread I pulled out of my collection, " Sweet Toronto", John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band. I haven't watched this in years. Though a little grainy , and audio so so, a good revisit.

13. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"Honey Honey" by ABBA - I would recommend it because the song is pure pop that always motivates me in a great way. There's a lot going on in this song but it's so catchy that you'll be humming & singing it even when it's over. My ABBAsolute favorite of all time!

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The Academic "Bear Claws" (Live Looper version). This young band used the 30 second delay inherent in Facebook Live and set up a video screen and a single camera to make one of the cleverest videos I've seen in years.

15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Prince - "Motherless Child"

Gavinyl likes this.
  16. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Sparks dig it...

17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Live '63 & '67 (Reelin' in Years produced DVD)

18. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Last night at 3:00am my wife went into the living room to sleep on the couch so I could reorganize our closets. While doing so I watched Kate Bush - Live at Hammersmith Odeon 1979, a DVD ripped from the LD. I later watched Last Exit Live in Cologne 1986 and the Sonny Sharrock Band Live in Prague 1990, both TV broadcasts.

All three videos are excellent.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I showed my wife Duran Duran's Save A Prayer on youtube two nights ago. The scenery is so nice, I knew she'd enjoy it. Since she likes The Sound of Music, I showed her Bananarama's Cheers Then.

20. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

“Baby Likes ToRock It” By the Tractors. An awesome song & an awesome video!!! This is definitely one I highly recommend watching from beginning to end! Enjoy!

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Elton John - Live in Barcelona DVD (1992)

22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Lang Lang ~ Portrait Of An Exceptional Pianist DVD (2012)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.