The last time any Beatle had a #1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

It was a reissue of the original single that returned to #1 in 2002.

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

That was just the B side of the regular version which was Number 1.
    My Sweet Lord 2000 is the rocky version with Sam Brown singing on it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  3. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

True; the other three are all over the album, but there have been other solo singles with other ex-Fabs and they didn't all hit #1. Also, McCartney does appear on "You're Sixteen," but only on freaking kazoo; it's not as though it's recognizably him or the single owed it's success to Paul's participation. It certainly wasn't billed as "Ringo feat. Paul McCartney."

4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I can tell it's him

Fortuleo likes this.
  5. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

What are you talking about ? Of course it's recognizably him ! Typical kazoo McCartney !

6. Skywheel

Skywheel Forum Resident

It's a shame Steve Tyler didn't contribute then we could have Typical Kazoo and Tyler too.

What?

Too obscure?
    Okay, a doughnut hole to the first who can say they get the reference. (Probably U.S. only)

longaway likes this.
  7. SJB

Steve Tyler did participate, but they mixed him out and replaced him with Tom Petty. A petty substitution, if you ask me.

So Steve Tyler got together with Joe Perry for a project originally called Tyler/Perry. After being served with legal papers, they changed the name to Steve/Perry. That didn't fly either, and if it can't fly, then there's no journey for Steve/Perry. So they had to pick something that would fly. So that's the band's origin story, or at least its Eros myth.
    [​IMG]

longaway and Skywheel like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

You guys forgot 'Whatever Gets You Through The Night' by John (and Elton John). It hit number one in some countries, too.

9. SJB

[​IMG]

longaway, Fortuleo and Skywheel like this.
  10. SJB

Elt 'n' John.

Elton also played on George's Cloud Nine album and Ringo's Snookeroo. He could form a group with Klaus Voormann and Jim Keltner and call it "Except Paul."

driverdrummer and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

"Goodbye Yellow Abbey Road"^^

12. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

And it's double-tracked, he put a lot of work into it!

Fortuleo likes this.
  13. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

How about "The last time a #1 song was as good as an average Beatles or Paul McCartney/Wings song?"

14. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

There's The Beatles, and then there's four gents who were in The Beatles. When McCartney or whoever's singles hit the radio I thought "I love this song but its not Them."
    And I loved those singles! A matter of religion, no matter how loopy.

15. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Well, technically My Sweet Lord/Isn't It A Pity was a double A-side number one. Ron

16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

But was not his last, I don't think.

17. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

nope.

could not care less if he hits #1.

He's sir paul, I'll continue to listen and I dont give a toss what idiots who listen to XYZ pop tunes listen to.

same as it ever was.

Fortuleo likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

His one and only number one hit in the solo years. Not counting the singles that came out posthumously.

19. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

not with all that brocolli!

lonelysea likes this.
  20. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

If you include the country charts, the answer could be 1989, when Rosanne Cash's version of "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" hit #1 the week ending June 24.

Rfreeman likes this.
  21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Just Like Starting Over was number 1 and was released prior to death. Didn't reach the top spot until after death, but still, its legit.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. SJB

Or "Goodbye Yellow Brick Submarine."

Perhaps, but in that case the two-ness is intrinsic to the record. Ringo was the only ex-Beatles album to spawn two independently available #1 singles that were released sequentially rather than concurrently and conjointly.

23. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Free As A Bird wasn't a number 1 in other countries??

24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Seeing that you asked the question...no, I don't really care. Every time Paul releases a new album some folks here start speculating and hope that if Katy Perry or whomever doesn't release an album or single that week maybe Paul can get a #1.

Paul is 74 years old and has had a zillion hit records with the Beatles and also solo.

So, I (personally, and don't expect others to feel this way) think it's almost demeaning to the career he has had to hope or expect him to squeeze out another #1 record. He's not the every day pop star that needs another hit record to help solidify his status.He's done it all.

As long as he keeps releasing quality releases I hope he doesn't pander to tailoring his music to fit whatever he thinks might have the possibility of being a #1 record in today's market.

It might make Paul happy of course if through some weird circumstance a 74 year old guy like he is manages a #1 ,but I certainly don't dream about it. :D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  25. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Yes, exactly my point…
    I also agree with the rest of your post. The sure thing is he loves success. And he should. But he became great again when he got over his urge to be ultra-successful or competitive in the charts. This is exactly what made Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run, the Fireman or Chaos such rewarding ventures or records, at least in my opinion : he just decided that he couldn't care less if it worked commercially or not.

Then again, when Chaos didn't sell enough, he decided to go to another label…

Glenn Christense likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.