The Late Late Show with James Cordon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone catch the first episode tonight? Definitely some potential here but way too early to tell how quickly it will all gel. Tonight's guests were Mila Kunis and Tom Hanks. It is a refreshing idea to have both guests come out at the same time and interact together but considering the limited time it is hard to create a natural conversation. Frankly I think it was a big miss having them both out. Tom Hanks is easily one of the best talkshow guests ever and to have him sort of take a backseat to Mila was not the best call. James could've made it 10 times easier for himself had he had Tom all to himself.

All in all it was an okay start. I think I will check up on him a little bit further down the line... he has a long way to go for his own rhythm and sense of humor to build but is just not all there at the moment.

2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Ahhh at least we'll be seeing less of him here in the UK. There is an upside to everything.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Don't worry, if CBS handles this show like they have in the past, you'll have him back, toot sweet! The previews looked so bad that I didn't even bother to watch.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm not going to make a decision based on one show. I really like the way Ferguson handled the show and his version of it was definitely a little more laid back than Cordon's. The show last night seemed rushed and loud and too busy and the set was kind of extravagant ( the Bud Light bar which served no purpose except to advertise Bud Light. ) It was the first show so I'll cut the guy some slack and watch some episodes before I decide to switch back to Seinfeld reruns.

MRamble likes this.
  5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Ferguson asked for a raise?? or did he just want to leave

6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I haven't seen it yet, but I've read about it and DVRd it. I'll watch it Thursday. The reviews were good from what I've read.

7. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I watched it.....the jury will be out for awhile!

8. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

I thought first episode was ok but still not Graham Norton level. It reminds me of the situation with Larry Wilmore where I want to like it and I like some of the people involved but it was just kinda light entertainment to me not really doing anything out there like Reggie's previous show Comedy Bang Bang which I love.

MRamble likes this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't know Corden (it's Corden with an e by the way) was going to do the UK Graham Norton-style format where all the guests are on at once. But it makes sense for someone to try it, and why not somebody British. It will give his show something unique (for America anyway).

Mister Charlie likes this.
  10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Corden had me laughing myself silly in One Man, Two Guvnors, so he gets a lot of good will from me.

11. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

He looks like Andy, Conan O'Brien's sidekick, but British.

I think the network execs overestimate the appeal of British talk show hosts in the States. Look at Piers Morgan.

Larry Mc likes this.
  12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Oh he can be okay. It's just at one time you couldn't watch UK tv without his chubby little face gracing it.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I can't pass judgment on one show when I fell asleep shortly after the monolog, but I agree that the set design is over the top flashy. I guess I prefer "NY cool" to "Hollywood glitz".

And why Jay Leno???

14. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

After Gavin & Stacey I would watch anything James is in.

ted321 and rediffusion like this.
  15. Squealy

The first or second thing he said when he came out was "you're all thinking, look, they gave Andy Richter his own show!"

16. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Because he's the famous, successful, retired talk show guy.

I thought the whole sequence about choosing the new host and Corden's training for the job was pretty good. Some genuine laughs there. And Leno's last line about stepping in once Corden tanks in a few months was a classic. :D

tonyc likes this.
  17. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

The bass player is hot!

Doug Sclar and ssmith3046 like this.
  18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I guess American talk shows don't keep all the guests out on the couch for the remainder of show anymore, but I'm amused by all of the Graham Norton references I've read in just about every article about the new show. That was the rule for every US talk show once upon a time, long before Norton.

19. Squealy

How many of the shows had everyone out there from the beginning though? It was more common for each guest to come out one at a time and essentially have their own segment even though the previous guest was still sitting there. Conan still does this a lot of the time.

tonyc likes this.
  20. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Big fan of Gavin & Stacey too - one of those shows well worth multiple viewings, and the entire cast such a treat, Corden especially! Was this popular in the US?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  21. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

My daughter was big on Brit shows and turned me on to a few gems, that and Coupling, Graham Norton and Vicar of Dilbey.

BBC America.

22. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Didn't get a chance to see the show, but hard to judge after the first few weeks IMO...

I remember Fallon's first few shows and thinking no way he was going to make it. After a while things got better though.

23. ssmith3046

I was waiting for him to introduce the entire band but he never did.

24. ssmith3046

Modest Mouse in on the show tonight.

25. Squealy

Again, could someone fix the spelling of "Corden" in the title?

OldSoul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.