The Late Late Show with James Cordon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MRamble, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I've seen enough to pass judgement - it's bloody awful. So upbeat, cheery, chirpy, way too much energy and glitz for late-night viewing. It's forced, smacks of effort. And they're getting high quality A-List guests to go along (probably by force?). I expect more cynicism and a lower key approach in that time slot. I hate this show. Hate.

ssmith3046 and showtaper like this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not sure what I think of the "every guest on at once" approach. It's hard to tell whether an eclectic group or a similar group are the way to go. Last night he had Claire Danes, David Beckham and Bob Odenkirk on -- three people who didn't have much in common or much inclination to interact. Corden was able to find a small thread between Claire and Bob as they both star in acclaimed cable shows, but otherwise had to pretty much alternate questions between them.

3. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I think he just got bored with doing the show. For the last couple of years it seemed like his heart wasn't really in it anymore.

4. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

The show seems perfect for daytime not late night. The show as its designed seems to completely ignore all late night conventions (writing, mood, set design, interviews) which isn't rare considering the landscape has changed so much in the last 2 years. Change is always welcome but you shouldn't have to make something it's not. Late night is going through a shift and I'm not sure when or how it will go back to its roots which was to me: strong writing, interesting/entertaining conversations and goofy sketches/bits. At the moment, not one of the new shows is hitting all three marks---yet.

ssmith3046 and misterdecibel like this.
  5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Katie Couric pranks James Corden:

Mister Charlie likes this.
  6. Slowhead

Slowhead Forum Resident

Corden seems like a nice fella. But, for now the show is not doing much for me.
    I should take this as a sign and go to bed at a reasonable time like regular people do.

7. andrewjohn1317

andrewjohn1317 New Member

I really like the show and his version of it was definitely a little more laid back than Cordon's. The show last night seemed rushed and loud and too

8. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Unfortunately Gavin & Stacey is practically unknown in the States. Somehow I saw an episode and was hooked. Ordered the whole series from Amazon UK. My wife and I LOVE it and have watched it thru several times. Absolutely brilliant series!!!

Saw James on Broadway in One man, Two Govners..great performance, great show.

I wish him luck in anything he does.

Willowman and Mister Charlie like this.
  9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wow. I watched an episode during his first week and thought it was terrible. Watched Letterman tonight and kept it on for Cordon and I can barely stand the monologue...

I was a fan of Craig Ferguson and honestly can't imagine any of Craig's fans enjoying this. It's like the ads I see for "Ellen" ... with a dude ... at night. :wtf:

Who likes this? :confused:

rburly and misterdecibel like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I like the interviews.

The rest could use some work.

11. misterdecibel

Yes, it's still horrid.

Worst of all, for me anyway, is that he keeps doing that British talk show thing where he's always asking the audience "Do you want to see_____...???" or "Who wants to see _______...???" It's just a gratuitous built-in applause line

rburly likes this.
  12. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Corden.

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I'm with you, Mrjinks. I've tried watching multiple times, and I think this show is 100% unadulterated, unwatchable, "whoop-it-up," worthless ****, and that's not a nice word there. Worst late-night show I've ever seen. Maybe Chevy Chase can guest host and raise the bar.

misterdecibel and mrjinks like this.
  14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I've seen it a few times and like it so far.

15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nothing about this show says it's on at 12:35...the energy, tone or the overall vibe. But everything about it says it wants to be watched online via computer/tablet etc. Corden's boundless energy is a little misplaced when put in context with his competitors during the time slot but comes across better as a random video on YouTube. This is the direction of late night, folks......

16. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Colour/Color

Labour/Labor

Corden/Cordon

It's all good, mate! :righton:

17. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

James Cordon Bleu.

18. misterdecibel

James Corden blew.

mrjinks likes this.
  19. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I really tried to like it and DVR'd the first two weeks. But, he seems too earnest or tries to please everybody too much. It's weird. That isn't something that I'd normally "ding" somebody for, but I really miss the quirky and weird, subversive kind of humor that Craig had.

mrjinks likes this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Oh, that made me laugh for quite a while....
    Not sure whether to thank the gin or misterdecibel, but I think I'll go with the latter!

21. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

We (usa) have a different sense of humor than the Brits do when it comes to talk shows or TV sitcoms.
    I've liked a few though, "Are You Being Served?", "Faulty Towers" , "Keeping Up Appearances" are some that come immediately to mind.
    I've become a Jimmy Fallon fan, he's like a mean little kid who pranks people.

22. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

How very unappetising.

Mr. H likes this.
  23. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I like Fallon but he laughs at everything the guests say like it's the funniest thing he ever heard, until the next thing they say. And most of these younger actors and actresses, performers are so incredibly boring these days. Few of them seem to have any personality.

ted321 likes this.
  24. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I like the "skits" they do on Hollywood Blvd. and pranking little kids. The one where parents tell their kids that they ate their candy is priceless.:)

One day he went outside and found the comedian Gallagher rifling through a dumpster. On his way back he brought him up to the writers room, gave him a chair, and told him to wait there.
    It was before the writers got there.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  25. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

never thought Id say this -but - put John Mayer back on

misterdecibel, BeatleJWOL and rburly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.