"The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" thread.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I do the same thing. I'm just not into the majority of celebrity interviews. Usually the second guest is more interesting than someone pimping their movie. John Cleese was great with the dueling hats!

Remurmur, OldSoul and dlokazip like this.
  2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Are you certain this problem isn't with your cable or satellite provider or the equipment you're using?

OldSoul and rburly like this.
  3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The John Cleese appearance was one of the best I've seen. You could tell he really enjoyed being on with Steven.

I like the way Steven interviews. He really asks salient questions while being entertaining at the same time. Not as biting as Dave, but not as fawning as Jimmy Fallon, either. Jimmy almost lapses into the Chris Farley sketch.

4. inperson

inperson Senior Member

His audience is annoying with their hooting and yelping.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Colbert is good from time to time, but after watching Kimmel a little bit more, I think his dry humor most closely matches my taste and makes him more of a stylistic heir to Letterman. Best to worst host:

1) Kimmel
    2) Colbert
    3) Fallon

Fallon does have probably the best, most "classic-looking" set, though.

6. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

I'm digging the show and the band is pretty good as well. Colbert has been smart to not completely ditch what made him a household name by doing The Colbert Report stuff at the beginning of the show. However, am I the only one who finds it distracting that when Colbert is introduced most of the time the band leader Batiste is in his shot either in front of him or dancing around behind him. It's just a strange intrusion especially within the composition of the camera shot. You're the band leader—stay up on the band stage with the band. In the history of late night no band leader has ever encroached on a host's entrance like this guy does. If you're not out of the way you're in the way.

Remurmur and rburly like this.
  7. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

That was cool!

Thanks ...:)

8. Remurmur

I was not going to miss Cleese for anything, and he did not disappoint. You could tell that he was having a ball, both during the hat bit and during the interview.

I'm thinking he'll be back...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    dlokazip likes this.
  9. Remurmur

Agreed about Cleese. He was obviously enjoying himself.

It was nice to see how well he and Colbert clicked.

And yes, Colbert is able to balance intellect and comedy quite nicely during his interviews.

A bit like the Sullivan Theater's previous tenant...:)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  10. Yep. I was really hoping he'd leave all that "Stephen, stephen, stephen" stuff behind. I usually tune in a couple minutes after the show starts, just like with the old one, so I can avoid that.

11. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Last night's show w/ guest w/ Bill Maher was interesting. Maher appeared genuinely flummoxed. Colbert silenced him, without even really trying. Maher just sat staring blankly, waving the white flag. Awesome!

dlokazip, Mr. H and Mister Charlie like this.
  12. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Disagree completely. Colbert rambled on, obviously afraid of allowing Maher too much time speaking. Maher wasn't getting into a shouting match to be heard.

13. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Disagree. I like them both, but Bill, who is well known as arrogant, was indeed flummoxed. Stephen (or Steve) is exceptional at improv, Maher just knows how to attack. I watch Real Time every week that it's on, so this is not from an opposing party view. I agree with Bill on most things but some he espouses are just wrong.

Although Stephen was hyper in that clip, for sure.

14. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I don't know about that. I think they had a pretty good back and forth.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I really miss Stephen Colbert. I pretty much get everything I need through Netflix & Hulu and an antenna (basically just for ND football). I've found a workaround for CBS' odd dislike of Hulu via Plex, but I just can't get in the habit of remembering to actually pull it up. Does CBS really think they can get people to subscribe to yet another service just to watch a couple of shows?

Mister Charlie likes this.
  16. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

You can watch on CBS.com for free.

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

PIL!

OldSoul likes this.
  18. OldSoul

Monday's episode is possibly the best so far! The Maher interview and Acro Cats segments being the highlights.

19. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

OK, maybe I exaggerated. After watching it again the back & forth was pretty good, but at one point Bill just stopped trying. Stephen is hitting balls over the net but Bill isn't returning.
    Acro-cats. Now THAT was a fiasco.

dlokazip likes this.
  20. Hymie the Robot

Any idea how long they will keep the free Bill Maher episode up on CBS?

21. OldSoul

Until it is no longer the 5th or 6th latest episode.
    The unedited interview is on YouTube, as well, btw.

22. Hymie the Robot

Thanks...wonder how long that will last on YouTube, I thaught CBS was strict about that.

23. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Wasn't that the point? The idea of getting cats to perform like a dog act is absurd. I thought it was hilarious. With respect to Bill & Stephen, I think they are both very bright and very funny. I suspect that they respect each other's talent enough to look past any philosophical differences.

OldSoul likes this.
  24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's what I use Plex for, to get it to my Roku. I just can't get into watching TV on my laptop. But I got so used to watching Colbert on Hulu for years and years that it's hard to change the routine. I kind of forget about it, since god forbid CBS be on the same platform as everyone else. (Not to mention being busier these past few months than anytime in the last few years of his Comedy Central show. I just kind of forget TV exists sometimes)

OldSoul likes this.
  25. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

It's on CBS Late Show's own YouTube channel:
    Here's Part 1, and here's Part 2.

Hymie the Robot and OldSoul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.