The "Lie-MAX" Controversy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ShardEnder, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I only pay for the real Imax (which we do have at least one good one at the Edwards in Houston), the little ones are a bit of a con game.

2. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

I seemed to be the first of my friends and family to know about IMAX back in the mid-80's. One by one, I'd take them down to the Detroit Science Center for the true IMAX Dome experience. It was even greater if the movie was about a subject that I really was interested in. My all-time favorite IMAX shot was the airplane flying over some cactus and tumbleweeds too close to the ground to really be in focus, but then it (and your stomach) fall as you fly over the edge of the Grand Canyon spreading out far below you. I've seen similar shots taken in regular format, but they'll never be able to capture the IMAX feel.

I looked to see if it the science center was still there (downtown Detroit) and as of 2009, it was. It was all documentaries back then. They may have switched over to include standard Hollywood fare.

3. ShardEnder

ShardEnder Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm actually considering taking my other half for her first real IMAX viewing in Bradford once Interstellar comes out, but I just wish Christopher Nolan would finally commit to shooting a whole film in the format and deal with the technical issues - isn't his problem having to loop any dialogue in post production because of the camera being so loud, not to mention the practicality of such a large rig? Although I wouldn't ever call myself a "Nolanite," I've found a few of his films quite enjoyable. However, my biggest problem with The Dark Knight Trilogy is the resolution changing so frequently between regular and expanded frame sequences.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't mind that at all. I loved "Dark Knight" and "DKR" IMAX and didn't feel bothered by the AR shifts at all. I rarely see anything more than once on the big screen, but I went to "DKR" 3 times IMAX!

5. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

The Detroit Science Center closed in 2011, but was reborn in 2012 as the Michigan Science Center. The Omnimax (I refuse to call it IMAX dome) theater is still there, but shows museum documentaries. The only other genuine IMAX theater in Michigan is the Henry Ford IMAX was shows both Hollywood films and documentaries. I'm certain it will be converted as soon as IMAX releases their new laser projection system for the large screen IMAX venues. Enjoy it while it lasts...

I agree with Vidiot as far as the ignorant young woman's video goes. She knows just enough to sound authoritative, but is actually spouting old and incorrect items.

Derek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.