The Madchester Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by surfingelectrode, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member Thread Starter

In an attempt to keep the Stone Roses Reissue thread on topic...

[​IMG]

Discuss.

2. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

WOW...not much more to discuss!!! They already said it all!!! :laugh:

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

I think the Stone Roses' debut is brilliant, I have two or three Inspiral Carpets CDs, plus material by The Charlatans, The High, and Northside. And maybe even Paris Angels. But as fate would have it I've never heard a note by Happy Mondays ...

4. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member Thread Starter

Try these on for size. (Each word = different song link).

Am I the last person to realize that the portrait on the cover of Bummed ISN'T of a woman, but actually of Shaun Ryder? I honestly thought it was a woman.

Also, how were the Mondays able to put Lazyitis on Bummed (it swiped the melody of Ticket to Ride), but had to take Desmond off of Squirrel G-Man (Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da)? Anyways, Lazyitis only really swipes the melody on two lines.

5. camrock

camrock Active Member

It also uses a bit of the melody of "Gonna Make You A Star" by David Essex IIRC. They cleared it, is why.

6. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

I really like the Inspiral's, for me they follow a tradition of the great "singles" band. Such a shame that later singles like "Please be Cruel" seemed largely ignored.

A question though - i thought "Planecrash" was never released as a single, being pulled because of the title? Possibly around the time of Lockerbie?!?

I'm sure i can remember "when's planecrash coming out?" being scratched in the dead wax of one of the later singles?

7. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

24 hr Party People + Control tells all you need

8. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I remember hearing about the whole Madchester thing through seeing copies of NME and Melody Maker in the late 80's, but I didn't really take an interest or seek out the groups and hear their music, although I was a huge New Order fan at the time. I didn't discover The Stone Roses until Second Coming came out. I never heard Happy Mondays until I saw the 24 Hour Party People film. I was more into the early Factory bands like JD/NO, Section 25, Durutti Column, A Certain Ration, each of whom were the predecessors for the Madchester scene bands.

9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Good to see the love for Inspiral Carpets here, who I think have always been pretty underrated as a pop band -- "Find Out Why" is like the greatest garage rock record that no one talks about for instance.

And big ups for the High mention above too -- "Box Set Go" is such a great tune.

10. I_Zimbra

I_Zimbra New Member

Please don't forget James. They were never "baggy" in the way some Manc bands were, but they were closely linked to Factory in their early days....and they've definitely stood the test of time.

I'm pretty sure it appeared on a couple of CD singles - "Find Out Why" and the "Cool as F**k" EP.

11. hutlock

Ah yes! James were great, but you're right, they weren't really in on the whole "baggy" thing, though they gave it a great shot with "Come Home" and the Weatherall remixes.

And yes, "Planecrash" is on both of those Inspirals CD singles.

12. hutlock

I should mention that there are Beggars Archive editons of the first two Charlatans albums due out soon-ish, both very well worth a listen.

Amazing to think about it but some of the B-level "Madchester" bands ended up outlasting the A-level bands by far in terms of career longevity and time at the top. The Roses and the Mondays peaked out and flamed out pretty quick, but Inspiral Carpets, The Charlatans, James, 808 State (OH how I love 808 State!)... they kept it going for years.

13. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

I guess you need to see the full painting to see it's Ryder...

[​IMG]

I think Lazyitis [One Armed Boxer] is credited to Happy Mondays, David Essex, Lennon & McCartney, Sly & The Family Stone

14. hutlock

Yeah, I think they all split royalties on that one.

Over in the Stone Roses thread, folks were talking about their autographed Happy Mondays stuff... I actually hung out backstage with the Mondays twice when they were here in the States (once on the Cleveland stop of the Bummed tour when they opened for... THE PIXIES?!? Yes, really! and once in Detroit on their own headlining tour after the Hallelujah EP was released in the US, but still pre-Pills...) It was fun, and I've got a couple of really good stories that I'll roll out here when I have time to type them (I'm at work now).

15. rediffusion

I've always thought that the Rolling Stones - '2000 Light Years From Home' sounds like a Madchester/baggy song

16. I_Zimbra

I_Zimbra New Member

The Madchester scene was one of the great examples of music and fashion going hand in hand. Hooded Tops and baggy jeans were everywhere. The band t-shirt became the ultimate fashion item - The old story went that James made more money out of their daisy t-shirts then they did from record sales. I bought all their singles and albums around that time, but I did also have 6 of their t-shirts!

17. Slicing Eyeballs

Slicing Eyeballs Forum Resident

No kidding. First time I heard the Charlatans on the radio ("The Only One I Know") it was like, "Hey, it's the Stone Roses with keyboards!" But they went on to have a pretty nice career...

18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

No kidding. Very Deep Purple, too.

Marc Perman likes this.
  19. hutlock

Yeah, that song pushed a lot of familiar buttons. Truth be told, I prefer the actual debut single, "Indian Rope," a nice moody, dark groover, as well as the third single, "Then." Good stuff.

20. hutlock

Any love for the New Fast Automatic Daffodils? The first few singles/EPs and the debut album (Pigeonhole) are just awesome.

21. Slicing Eyeballs

Slicing Eyeballs Forum Resident

Yeah, the bassline on "Then" still kills me. I also was a big fan of that "Over Rising" single they put out between the first two albums. I also recall preferring the "Imperial 109" version on the "The Only One I Know" single over the version they ended up using on Some Friendly, but now that I look, I'm not sure I have either of those singles anymore... Hmmm...

22. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I have a strange relationship with Madchester... I'm sure I'm the only person that prefers Second Coming to the Stone Roses debut album. Never explored Happy Mondays or Inspiral Carpets at all, but own all of the Charlatans albums and several singles up until the last couple of releases. Guess I need to dig a little further.

23. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the news, I hadn't heard. The Charlatans are one of my very favorite bands; I went out of my way to find import CDs of all their albums so that I wouldn't have to look at the "UK" next to their name. :laugh: I saw them a few times and they put on a great show. (One at the Warfield in SF, still around their first album, had a great, retro thing going with crazy swirling color liquids and an overhead projector. Went great with "Opportunity".) By contrast, I saw Happy Mondays at the Warfield around the same time and it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

The Charlatans have cycled up and down, but they really had another great peak with Us And Only Us and Wonderland. UAOU is my favorite album of theirs, I think.

24. rediffusion

I saw the Charlatans play many times. The best was in the Hacienda around 1995ish. They finished with a storming version of Sproston Green.

25. Johnny Strangler

Johnny Strangler New Member

I love them! one of the best baggy albums ever! also my fave music scene ever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.