The McCartney Years dvd coming up

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by peerke, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The "Let It Be...Naked" CD was almost like an afterthought. It was intended to be a companion to the reissue of the film on DVD. When the DVD was postponed/delayed, etc., they went ahead and issued the CD anyway.

The "Naked" CD is less controversial (or whatever one wants to call it) than the film simply because the "Naked" CD, like the original LIB album, is mostly music (with a bit of dialogue on the "Bonus" CD). The film shows and apparently brings up a lot of the negative feelings for some folks. It is silly simply because it's not like the film hasn't been released already. People saw it in theaters, and it was already available on home video for a brief time. Perhaps it's the bonus footage that is a hang up, I dunno.

2. paolo

paolo Senior Member

You know, the reason for the delay in releasing LiB might just be that its not very good and doesn't display The Fabs in the rosy glow of awesomeness that has been carefully crafted ever since Anthology. Ringo and Paul have both said that neither of them thought Help! was any good but can now see some good bits in it, hence its been released.

I doubt either of them will look at LiB and say "oh wow...that was such a fun time". The fact that it was available before doesn't mean that the release had full Apple backing. Who knows what the licensing arrangements were in the 80s and early 90s? From 1993 on, Apple seems to have been paying far more attention to things and, like Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl, previous availability doesn't automatically mean future release.

Why would Apple put out some dreary footage of them looking less than wonderful if given the chance to release something more "cheerful" and befitting the legend such as MMT or Shea.

Love is an exercise in artifice and polish. LiB is not. I don't think we'll be seeing it for quite a while yet :cry:

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Probably not...but ironically, by depriving whatever public wants it from having it, it's much higher profile at the moment, IMO, than if they'd had done with it and put the mean beast out. Honestly, it's a fly-on-the-wall, dark affair, despite some good music. And if it had been mastered with any sense, even LIBN could be considered an interesting variant, rather than the revisionist BS it actually is. And of course it was really Paulie, more than anyone else, who wanted it out...and even more ironic is that the lad has given us 5.1 remixes(and needlessly letterboxed)videos of some of his best and worst solo work, so it's hard to really bitch too much.

I would suggest, however, that LIB, which was available on VHS, Beta and LD, has circulated enough so that, even if those involved kinda wish it would go away, that ain't gonna happen. I think Neil Diamond had it right--and with the right attitude--by allowing a single he wish collectors had forgotten("Clown Town")onto his box set, if only because it satisfied a certain need and he had the good sense not to really care, just give his fans a little something he personally might not like. Good for him...:)

:ed:

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Dug this out tonight and I have to say - warts and all, this is really an excellent video collection. I particularly loved disc #3, the live one. Even though it wasn't complete concert performances, I think Paul chose wisely. It flows well and the song choices are spot on.

Anyone have a link to the "easter eggs" on this dvd set? The internet wasn't too informative, my Google search came up dry, and I remember there was a few on here, such as an alternative video for "Goodnight Tonight"...

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

From my review:

"Across all three discs, you’ll find multiple Easter Eggs. Actually, it may be a little misleading to call all of these “Easter eggs” since they’re not truly hidden. Instead, each menu you encounter plays a different snippet from the McCartney archives. Some true gems appear here, with the only negative caveat coming from the presentation: they’re small and often incomplete. A real Easter egg would allow you to see in them in all their glory and at full length, but I seriously doubt any such access exists.

Anyway, look all over these discs to find the different clips. There are too many for me to detail all of them, and that would take away from some of the fun. Rummage all around and you’ll find some really great material.

In addition to these tantalizing tidbits, we find a few real Easter eggs in the form of alternate videos. We find additional videos for "Goodnight Tonight", "Baby’s Request", and "Fine Line". To get to these, just use the angle button on your remote as you watch the "main" videos.

"Request" is really the same video; the alternate one just takes the footage, windowboxes it and adds some muck to give it a fake patina of age. "Goodnight" does the same but with one difference: it shows only the "old-timey" Wings and leaves out the shots of the modern look. I don’t like the scratches and whatnot, but I’m glad it stays true to the 1920s presentation. "Line" offers a less artistic representation of the material. In the main video, we see shots of Macca represented by… fine lines. Here we check out the source footage of him as he performs but without the artsy line usage. It’s not as creative, but it’s good to see the original clips.

“Line” offers a less artistic representation of the material. In the main video, we see shots of Macca represented by… fine lines. Here we check out the source footage of him as he performs but without the artsy line usage. It’s not as creative, but it’s good to see the original clips."

6. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Anyone know how successful this has been? I love it, one of the best video collections ever released, IMO.

7. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Aren't the first 2 DVD's entirely promos & videos? That's the reason I passed on this.
    I'd probably watch those once. I've got MUCH more interesting DVD's than something like that in my collection.

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

If you ever listen to DVDs just for the sound, all the tracks were remixed...

9. street legal

Even more of a reason for me to stay away from it, then. There is little in this world that I hate more than a remix.

10. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

The suround is incredible. Just the sound on "Tug Of War" is worth the whole set alone. It's a great watch as well.

Simon A likes this.
  11. Sean Murdock

Oops -- never mind, then.

12. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

yeah, but remixed into DTS 5.1 :goodie:

13. street legal

No problem! :cheers:

14. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

A post on an upcoming Macca release made me curious, does anyone know what the sales figures for this set have been? Did it do well when it came out, did it chart?

Appreciate any info, h

15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

:righton: I LOVE Macca in 5.1! This DVD makes me want to hear all his albums this way!

16. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

17. Oatsdad

Cool find! :righton:

Though it should be retitled "Ivory and Ivory"...

18. That's the one with the guy in prison listening on the walkman, right? (I haven't checked out your YouTube link above yet). I remember seeing this version back in the day.

19. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Yes indeed, certainly one of the most popular songs being listened to in the world's prisons...

20. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

:laugh:

21. Gloi

Gloi Forum Resident

:laugh: That's a cruel punishment. Sentenced to listen to "Ebony and Ivory".

22. Sean Murdock

I dunno -- the guy in the video looked liked the happiest prisoner in the history of incarceration.

23. H-Man

H-Man Member

Maybe because it looks like somebody shot it with a cellphone in the dark from the nose-bleed seats. I do pull out my laser disc and watch it on occasion. It looks terrible! The music is great and it's a wonderful document of a show I attended, but it just looks plain awful by today's standards.

24. Oatsdad

That's probably more of a problem with the LD transfer than with the source material. I thought the "Rockshow" footage on the DVD looked very good...

25. Great song, cheesy video--although the video with Stevie is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.