The Megadeth Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Dec 10, 2013.

1. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

2. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Does anyone have that new version of KIMB? Is it brickwalled?

3. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

There were some reviews. I can say this, it is compressed, yes.
    Brickwalled? Looking at the graph, yes it is.
    Is it full of distortion and clipping like CtE 2012 remaster and first 2011 PSBWB remaster? No.
    It's loud and compressed but clean.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

It is loud and sounds brickwalled to my ears.

stodgers likes this.
  5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I love the new KIMB. Keep in mind iveI always liked Megadeth casually and own many albums but have never heard the first one at all in any form until about a month ago. I saw the "final kill" pop up on my Amazon list and ordered it. It is awesome! Crank it up in my truck on the way to work and it sounds good to me. I have nothing else to compare it too but I've been told this version is much better than the last one that was released a couple of years ago.

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

They've been very hit or miss since Countdown but Endgame and Dystopia are fantastic. Lately when I've been in a Megadeth mood I've been reaching for those two.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Just looked it up. Average DR of six on all versions including HDTracks. Original (which I have) has an average of 12.

8. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Seriously, I'm going to need to hear some samples of The Final Kill before I shell out the cash. On the one hand, this is one of the most notoriously poor mixes in the history of metal music. On the other hand, what good is fixing a mix if you're just going to make it one big brick wall?

There's a vinyl too, and apparently that is ALSO bricked. I just. don't. get it.

9. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Also, I never heard the story about Hazelwood fighting the inclusion of These Boots before this. I had always assumed that it was some settlement due to unpaid royalties. I didn't think that an artist could sue over a song's use if proper attribution and royalties were given? I remember Coolio calling out Weird Al for his Gangsta's Paradise parody, and Al retorting that as long as he paid royalties, there was nothing the rapper could do.

Am I misunderstanding here? I thought artists surrendered exclusive rights when they used a publishing company.

10. manco

manco Forum Resident

I can't wait for the next LP. MegaDave has guaranteed it will be the 'greatest Megadeth album ever'.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Rose River Bear

12. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

13. Rose River Bear

Its gonna rock. I just hope Dave doesn't do anything goofy with the mixes.

500Homeruns likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The track listing will be interesting condering they’ve been on a few labels. And does this mean all the post-Risk albums are remastered?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

With the announcement of TWNAH and TSHF being reissued and remastered, I'd think they would not remaster the later albums.
    What's interesting is since they reissued PSBWB, RiP and CtE as new remasters during 2011-2016 they might finally use original mixes. The trailer for the compilation was actually using 2004 remix drums for TnP so maybe they still are sticking with 2004 versions...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

I believe in Weird Al's case it's protected because it's considered a parody. There was a Supreme Court case about this in 1994 where they ruled in favor of 2 Live Crew and their parody version of Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman".

The Time the Supreme Court Ruled in Favor of 2 Live Crew

I'm not sure whether a court would necessarily classify Megadeth's version of "These Boots" a parody. Probably not, but I'm no legal expert.

stodgers likes this.
  18. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I'm definitely down for Hero & System. I suppose with Warheads this might be the first time we'll be hearing tracks from Youthanasia on real vinyl since the flippers took the originals hostage.

Adam Bosman and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

The bigger issue with the estate and Mustaine was that he changed the original lyrics to These Boots. The latest reissue has the song back...but he re-recorded the vocals to be a true cover of the original.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Yes, but 2 Live Crew also changed the lyrics to "Pretty Woman" and won the case. I still agree that the 2 Live Crew version was easier to fall into the protected "parody" status since it's clearly done for humor. Megadeth's "These Boots" would be tougher to interpret that way.

Matthew Tate and Adam Bosman like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

weekendtoy and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

As I've been rounding out my 'Deth collection this last couple of years (I took a break after Cryptic Writings and never came back), I have to say that these albums in between are nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe. Even Risk, which I just picked up after hunting down an original (not remastered) copy has decent tracks on it though I can't see myself listening to it over and over like the other albums.

So far, and I have only two left to get (Thirteen, Supercollider), the only one that strikes me as inessential is The World Needs a Hero. It sounds like an album that could have come directly after Countdown to Extinction, but lacks strong enough songs to be considered anywhere near as good. Admittedly, it is the one I've listened to least of the newer echelon, so maybe its a grower?

But United Abominations, The System Has Failed, Endgame... All good, solid albums. Dystopia blows them away, of course, but they're not shabby efforts by any means.

Can't wait for the new one.

BTW, what are the opinions of the redone KIMB LP? I have the original CD - is it worth getting the new version?

Matthew Tate and Rose River Bear like this.
  23. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

24. Rose River Bear

I have not heard the redone LP. I would be interested to hear any comments as well.

25. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Found a separate thread on it - reviews decidedly split. Those in favor say there is added clarity and that the drums stand out more. Those opposed cite the compression, which isn't overwhelming but still too modern, and the fact that the drums stand out more. :)

So clearly, it depends on taste.