The Miles Davis album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Worst cover:
    Not because of the photo itself, but because it has nothing to do with the music or the artist.
    [​IMG]
    Man, I can just imagine what Miles must have felt when he saw this one. I can also imagine a couple of words he must have said about the guy responsible for it :)

MisterBritt, Muggles, DTK and 2 others like this.
  2. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

I see what you mean! (I considered going with Quintet / Sextet instead.)

I’m a sucker for the duotone photography on Jazz Giants and the stark contrast between sections. I also am ignorant of much context for his Prestige material in its original 10” form, so to me the compilation aspect is a plus or at least inconsequential.

crispi likes this.
  3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Perhaps my favourite Davis cover.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Here is the alternate, record club cover of Live Evil that I guess was used because of concerns about the nudity in the standard version. Actually a cool cover in its own right.

[​IMG]

IanL, jdrueke, Daniel Thomas and 9 others like this.
  5. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Cool. Never seen it before. I still love the original cover, though.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

And it resolves the title issue. If you look at the standard front cover, as much as I like it, you wouldn't have any reason to think the album was called Live Evil.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Tim Bucknall likes this.
  7. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I'm so glad to hear we haven't discussed Agharta yet, I can't wait to see what can be uncovered about it in conversation. And yes, the cover is fantastic.

ciderglider likes this.
  8. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

The front cover is great, but that strange creature on the back is the stuff of nightmares.

Tim Bucknall and 905 like this.
  9. Fonz

Fonz Forum Resident

Things get very interesting, very quickly now.
    The move away from standards to new compositions is quite striking, and probably the most radical shift in Davis’s career, at least until IASW and B.B.

The compositions are very pleasing to my ears, but I have to listen hard sometimes to hear Herbie and Ron.

I’m only familiar with the 65-68 stuff through the box set and have had to separate the tracks into their respective albums.
    I love ESP, but a couple of the other albums are a bit ‘samey’. More on those later.

ciderglider likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I've bought many a Miles D album because I thought the cover was so cool. I only dislike a handful of them.

DTK likes this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes the front cover is the Live side and the back cover is the Evil side.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  12. Yesternow

Mati Klarwein had painted the front cover independently of Davis, but the back cover was painted with a suggestion from Davis:
    "I was doing the picture of the pregnant woman for the cover and the day I finished, Miles called me up and said, 'I want a picture of life on one side and evil on the other.' And all he mentioned was a toad. Then next to me was a copy of Time Magazine which had J. Edgar Hoover on the cover, and he just looked like a toad. I told Miles I found the toad."
    [​IMG]

13. crispi

[​IMG]

14. Yesternow

Wonder if he saw this one before release.
    [​IMG]
    I approve it. Black Beauty, indeed.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

My copy of Live Evil is the black one. Not necessarily by choice (though the original is another LP cover like the Stones' Undercover I'd have to hide from the kids) but because it was the cheapest copy I could find online. And normally having the whole sides 1/4, sides 2/3 configuration drives me nuts but since "What I Say" and "Funky Tonk" are my favourite songs on the album I don't mind in this case. It's weird having a double album in a non-gatefold cover, though.

Tim Bucknall, DTK and crispi like this.
  16. Yesternow

You probably know that "in a silent way" was initially supposed to be called "Mornin' Fast Train From Memphis to Harlem".
    Again, being a fan might have some weight, but I also like Miles album names.
    Which ones do you like the most ?

The name Miles is an easy one to do some games with words. These were nice:
    Miles Ahead
    Miles SMiles
    LivE EviL

Kind of blue, In a silent way ... really fit the music

Tim Bucknall and crispi like this.
  17. Yesternow

[​IMG]
    Thanks Marcus, Milestones is a great and obvious example.

Tim Bucknall and crispi like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think "Shh/Peaceful" originally had that title. It makes sense with Tony Williams's hi hat part.

Tim Bucknall and 905 like this.
  19. crispi

Could be. Makes a lot more sense than “Shhh/Peaceful”. Nothing really peaceful nor shhh about that track. Now, In a Silent Way—that one’s peaceful.

Tim Bucknall, rxcory and Yesternow like this.
  20. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thats the version I have, found used many years ago. I really need to revisit it as it's been ages.

21. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Friday and Saturday at the Blackhawk for me. Iconic, love the use of black space and their faces plus the fonts and color just pop off the cover. Classic. Modern Jazz Giants is also great.

Muggles and fatwad666 like this.
  22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Agree about Agharta. I have had a change of mind about this release after picking up an original Columbia vinyl. I kind of get it now after years of struggling with the Sony CD issue from the 90's.

Tim Bucknall, Alien Reg and SlimLee like this.
  23. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I got lucky - my first exposure to the album was the 2013 Japanese Blu-Spec CD, which I picked up on a whim while holidaying in Osaka. That album's still a tough nut to crack though! It's been over a year and I'm still getting my head around it.

24. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Birth Of The Cool
    Cookin, Relaxin, Workin, Steamin
    Sketches Of Spain
    E.S.P.
    Filles de Kilimanjaro
    Bitches Brew

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On the topic of record club Miles albums, here is the back cover of a rather strange mid 60's compilation titled Orbits that I've seen once or twice. A mixed bag including Gil Evans tracks, a few Second Quintet pieces and even "Billy Boy" without Miles from 1958.

[​IMG]