"The Misty Miss Christy" (June Christy): Stellar Mono Sound!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dat56, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

If you tend to go for girl singers from the 50's, you probably should have this title in your collection if you don't already. It's mono, but still manages to sound expansive. In fact, there are places where I'd swear it was stereo. It just plain sounds great, whatever it is! The frequency balance is excellent, too. It's got solid, full bass and airy, crytaline highs (at least most of the time).

Musically, I suppose either you dig this stuff or you don't. I'm certaily no expert on the genre, but I definitely dig it! Where Miss Christy takes a tune is often not quite where I expect it to go, and that makes for always interesting listening.

So much of the music recorded in the 50's thru the mid 60's sounds so...present. Reach out and touch the artists - present, in fact. What a golden age for recorded music! This title was mostly recorded in 1956, the year I was hatched, as a matter of fact. I think the music on this disc has aged better than me!

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Never heard this album. Thanks for the heads up!

3. tinpanalley

tinpanalley Forum Resident

I love posts like this one. It's always so awesome hearing someone who's discovered an album or a singer for the first time. I'm probably half your age but your description of the record (one of my favourites) is perfect. And you're right about the popular music recorded in the 50s that wasn't aimed at teens. Very present. Good description. I have it on vinyl and it sounds excellent. You'd like all of June Christy's music. You should also listen to Jo Stafford, Julie London and for a really special treat, look for Lucy Ann Polk. She only recorded about 3 albums. But they were gold.

.crystalised. and dat56 like this.
  4. dat56

I found it on Amazon; CDP 7 98452 2. The label is Capital Jazz. This CD was released in 1992. The reissue was produced by Michael Cuscuna; Tape transfers by Jay Ranellucci...if those names mean anything to you. I know I have heard of Michael Cuscuna, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my my big, fat head anything about him.

Also, I should have mentioned that the music was arranged and conducted by Pete Rugolo.

5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I love these old Mono female vocal records that you're talking about although I don't have any June Christy yet. Check out the Fontane Sisters albums on Dot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:righton:

bluemooze and dat56 like this.
  6. dat56

I've got a little Julie London and one or two other Christy titles, but I've honestly never heard of Lucy Ann Polk. I will definitely investigate!

Must check out the Fontane Sisters!

Wally Swift likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

I've been needledropping loads of these type of records to listen to at work. Puts one in a great frame of mind.

action pact and dat56 like this.
  8. Wally Swift

Some more suggestions;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Jay Ranellucci is a mastering engineer.

Michael Cuscuna is a well-known figure in jazz. He's a producer and he was involved in the rebirth of the Blue Note label years ago. He's also co-founder of the famous Mosaic reissue label. Short bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cuscuna

Mosaic released a great, limited-edition Peggy Lee/June Christy set years ago, which is now OOP: http://www.allmusic.com/album/compl...y-capitol-transcription-sessions-mw0000014549

Mosaic: http://www.mosaicrecords.com/

By the way, the name of the label is Capitol.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    bluemooze and Campbell Saddler like this.
  10. dat56

Ah, lot's of interesting stuff to investigate! Thanks for the suggestions! Time to browse Collector's Choice Music again. They usually have a strong selection of artists from the pre-rock-n-roll 50's.

11. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

The Misty Miss Christy is a wonderful album. I've got an old Capitol 9 o'clock colorband labels record. Stampers are D15 and D17. Golden age of Capitol recordings like this are usually stunning.

[​IMG]
    (please excuse the cell phone camera quality photo)

juanmanuel and bluemooze like this.
  12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Your description of this sound (50s hifi mono) really impacts me. I have felt that way but not been able to express it well. I've had an idea for a thread and yours may get quoted in it. :)

juanmanuel likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Here is a thread I started awhile back. Might be helpful also:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-female-singers-that-are-lesser-known.336319/

14. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

While i have lots of records by Julie London, Peggy Lee, Dinah Washington, Chris Connor etc.... i've never gotten around to buying anything by Miss Christy, i think it's time to remedy that, and this sounds like the perfect record to start with.

My prize find may have been this very rare ''and only'' record by Bea Abbott, terrific album and likewise sound.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Wally Swift like this.
  15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

June Christy = :love:

16. TimM

TimM Senior Member

A great album and a great singer. Some of my other favorites by Christy: "
    Junes Got Rhythm
    Something Cool
    Gone For the Day
    This Time of Year - A Christmas season album, but not really a Christmas album

The7thStranger, Get2Me and jupiter8 like this.
  17. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:agree: And the CD is a rather sloppy transfer, although happily free of the over-processing many CD reissues of vintage material suffer. Perhaps the best version of that album is the superb 1980s Pathe-Marconi LP reissue.

Check out our June Christy threads - and if you can find one, get the excellent Capitol Jazz CD combining my fav June album and also an unfortunately obscure masterpiece of classic pop, Gone for the Day, with the lesser June, Fair and Warmer you may also enjoy.

18. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Well put.
    Yes, those Capitol monos are amazing.
    Coincidentally, we've recently added a dedicated mono 'table to our rig and have been rediscovering tons of great LPs that, while enjoyable, just never sounded this good on the main turntable (yes, even with the signal summed). We've been playing a lot of this stuff--Anita O'Day, Chris Connor, Annie Ross, along with Sarah Vaughan, Dinah Washington, etc.--and really enjoying the mono sounds.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. I picked up a copy of this for £2.00 a couple of weeks back. Cover is in dreadful condition but vinyl itself is Good. Needs a good clean (or more)

The label on my copy is a single dull blue colour with white script

Catalogue number is T725 with T1 725 - IN and T2 725 - IN in the deadwax on Sides 1 and 2 respectively.

Side 1 has R in the deadwax at approximately 3 o' clock, with Side 2 having G in the same position.

On side 1 either side of the centre hole are the capital letters T and R at approximately '5 past 7' position. Nothing similar on Side 2.

Does anyone else have this copy?

Anyone with more expertise than me able to identify please which issue this might be?

Best Wishes,
    David

20. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Agreed!

She's probably my favorite '50s/mid-century female vocalist because even her most conventionally arranged recordings have a decidedly off-beat/modern bent!
    There's just something about June Christy: :edthumbs:

21. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

My copy says T1-725 D5 on side one and T2-725 D4 on side 2 the label is the Capitol turquoise. I found it at a used book store for$2.00 with just a llittle bit of noise after cleaning. Sounds better than my Cd.

adriatikfan likes this.
  22. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I only have one June Christy LP and that's a UK Mono first press of "The Cool School" which I've always enjoyed, one of these days I'm going be heading to Ebay looking for more of her LP's.

[​IMG]

The7thStranger likes this.
  23. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

For vinyl lovers there's a nice sounding vinyl reissue available from Cisco of Something Cool. Great album.

[​IMG]

24. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Yes, and it is quite cheap right now at Elusive Disc web store!!. It sounds really good. A perfect reissue!!

The7thStranger and bluemooze like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.