The Monkees Complete TV Show: Did You Upgrade To The Blu-Ray Set Or Did You Stick With The DVD Set?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

I grew up on this show, but as little as I watch them, the DVD sets suits me just fine.

I was wondering what the majority of you did...

Thanks!

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Had to get the Blu-ray for the bonus extras, they’re exclusive to this set and won’t be available after the initial run is sold out. If it’s reissued for the general market it won’t have the bonus material.

3. audiomixer

10,000 units is a big run...

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Had to sell the DVDs, before I even finished the set, as buying them in the first place was a mistake.
    My taste at 8 years old has nothing to do with my taste in my late 50s.
    Who knew ?
    :laugh:

5. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

Agreed! The bonus features alone (particularly the HEAD out-takes) made it an essential purchase. The fact that the shows looked better than ever was just icing on the cake. I was really pleased that the Screen Gems logo was reinstated, as well. Glad I kept the DVDs, though, for extras that didn't make it to the Blu-ray set.

For what it's worth, I don't think the series will ever be reissued in a physical format after this release.

D-rock, Isamet and MarkTheShark like this.
  6. audiomixer

That's my feeling. I like the music, but the episodes leave a lot to be desired.
    The DVD sets get occasional play; not enough to spend another $200 for the blu-ray set.

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

totally got it. the shows sooooo much better, it's like night and day. granted I don't watch as much as I used to, but still good to have them. as for the price, $200 seemed fine for what was in the set. just remember the dvd sets cost almost $100 just for each season. so $200 was totally justified.

chad

D-rock likes this.
  8. Myke

It, and The Partridge Family, bought together, were both a mistake. A prime example of how nostalgia can be just as expensive an emotion, as being horny. :laugh:

9. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I only watched the DVD sets once all the way through when they first came out. Then when my kids were little I showed them a few different episodes, but they weren't into it so I didn't force more viewing. Those stupid record player cube DVD packaging are just taking up lots of valuable shelf space now. While I would have enjoyed seeing the improved video quality of the new set, I don't feel I ever got the use out of the original set to justify that expense. There was no way I would get $200 more use out of another version of the same thing I'm already not watching. Of course part of the reason I haven't watched the original DVDs more is because of how poorly I thought they were done, and they're certainly not mastered as a user-friendly experience to want to even deal with ever again.

10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

First thing I watched was the extras. I was never as much into the Monkees TV show as the music, but this has gotten me to revisit the show again and it's a real treat to have it in such pristine shape. It's weird to see them as TV characters now, after all the years of seeing them live and reading about the behind-scenes reality of their career. The TV show seems like some weird alternate universe now. My favorite thing is still the Rainbow Room song clips.

D-rock likes this.
  11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I'll buy them when the standard release comes out. I never bought the DVD's because they were hard to find and the transfers weren't the the best (Especially the Season 1 shows, with the intro sequence especially for that season having an awful beetroot tint. It was a shock to see it look so good when they uploaded the comparison last year on YT between the DVD and Blu-Ray).

12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

There's plenty of other similar mistakes that I've made as well-- among them, I Dream of Jeannie and Miami Vice (both on NBC, the former in the 60s, the latter in my early youth); I got Jeannie because I'd never seen it before, and I thought I'd be able to enjoy it, and the same for Vice, which I never saw when it was on when I was a boy.

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I traded in my DVD copies ahead of the BluRay; a year later, I still need to buy it.

audiomixer likes this.
  14. Myke

Miami Vice...wow...I remember the ex-wife and I snuggling up in front of the Sunday night premiere, and sticking with it through it's run.
    Fast forward 25 years, I buy the DVD box. Watch the entire thing, but feel no desire to keep it. My son buys it from me. He watches the entire run, then he sells it.
    We both agree neither of us has had that reaction with any other show. Ever.

" Yeah, I like you, but just go away for a while. No, you're not good enough to hang out with The Wire, Homicide : Life On The Street, or The Rockford Files. "

Harsh, but true.

bmasters9 likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Would just like to get all the music /songs themself on Blu Ray.
    Not interested in the comedy sketches.

audiomixer likes this.
  16. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

The HD transfers on the Blue-Ray set are the best the show has ever looked...period. It's a night and day difference and the shows look amazing.

Isamet and Blimpboy like this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I didn't vote for either option... I currently only own the DVDs, but plan to buy the Blu-Ray set in the near future...

18. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Do you mean just the "performance clips" of them miming the songs (i.e. the Rainbow Room stuff, and first season performance clips, etc.) or would you want them to include the "romps" too?

19. audiomixer

I'm sure the difference is stunning. It's the material that's not...

20. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

If you don’t like the show why would you want either?!?

bmasters9 likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I can't afford the BD so I keep the DVDs...but IMO, they suck.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, another buy for nostalgia...

23. alexpop

Suck ?
    Why, quality control...or boring ?

24. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Neither. I transferred my VHS box set that I bought for $300. Never watched it but I'm a collector and need to own the show, along with the other thousands of series in my collection. As for watching it, no, I'm not 9 anymore. The show is unwatchable.

audiomixer likes this.
  25. alexpop

Why transfer if your not going to watch it( a lot of effort ) surely the VHS box in your collection is suffice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.