The Monkees Complete TV Show: Did You Upgrade To The Blu-Ray Set Or Did You Stick With The DVD Set?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Sold it off. Been transferring and dumping the thousands and thousands of tapes because DVDs take up far less space.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Did the same with vinyl once by transferring albums onto cassettes, sadly I never listened to the cassettes.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

DVD quality...not the show. : )

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

DVD grainy /poor?

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The DVD Sets Are Just Fine With Me

905 and audiomixer like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just DVD. : )

audiomixer likes this.
  7. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

One of the huge annoyances for me when trying to watch the original DVD set was there was no option to "play all" the episodes. The menu screen was authored with the audio playing incredibly loud. Each episode had the audio authored normal to quiet so the volume had to be cranked up to hear it. If you either forgot, or didn't get to it quick enough, when the menu would come back on after each episode it would be blowing out the speakers because that volume was so much louder than the episode volume is. Just a constant down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up for each episode I wanted to watch. Plus having to navigate to each next episode to select it was annoying. One of the absolute worst user-experience DVD authoring jobs that I own.

Plus I still hate that packaging. What a bloated waste of money expense that had to be to get produced, and was also far from user-friendly too. I even had to provide my own sleeves to store the discs in. :thumbsdow

bmasters9 and alexpop like this.
  8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

That's not the only one-- the M*A*S*H releases (at least till the fourth season's worth, IIRC) also had it to where you had to manually navigate.

9. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

The only bad thing about the DVDs are the surround sound is fake and the episodes are VHS transfers from the restore 1995 rhino ones.

The blu-rays are remastered mono and HD transfers.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The DVD sets are fine with me. I don't have a Blu-Ray Player anyway.

905 and greelywinger like this.
  11. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

The DVD Sets Are Just Fine With Me...because the Blu-ray is out of print and I ain't paying the outrageous used prices I see lol.

12. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I'll stay with the DVD's. A little of the series goes a long way. I do watch an episode once in a while, but I don't need an upgrade on this one.

13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I went straight to the blu-rays, straight from monkees.com, a fairly short while ago (a few months). Still available at $200. Just so you know.

audiomixer and Hadean75 like this.
  14. Hadean75

Thanks! :)

Pinknik likes this.
  15. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The bluray set is not out of print.

In fact, they still have so many of them left, they are now being sold at Amazon via WarnerMarket.

http://a.co/d/jdoJZuK

(So much for Rhino's old claim the set was "only available at Monkees.com".)

Hadean75 likes this.
  16. Hadean75

Thanks! :)

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

You know what Rhino needs to put out?

A single Blu-Ray of all the music videos from the TV show, all remixed from the multis, and with an option for a True 5.1 mix. I think every Monkees fan would buy that.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Vidiot, Grand_Ennui and JuanTCB like this.
  19. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thats a lot of $$$ for a show that only ran two seasons. Think about it.....

Jimmy B. and audiomixer like this.
  20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Agreed, I was just putting it out there. That works out to $15 per disc which wouldn’t be so bad as 10 individual blu-ray movies. On the other hand, the complete Fraggle Rock on blu-ray is 12 discs and available for $41. So, there’s that. I dunno.

21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Their series may have only ran for two seasons, but that TV series spawned 52 years of entertaining folks.

22. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I paid like $300 for the VHS boxset back in the 90s so the blu-ray set was a bargin..

Grand_Ennui and James Slattery like this.
  23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

My 2 DVD sets are just fine. I've never even watched them all the way through.

24. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I didn't even do that. I transferred my VHS box to DVD when DVDR first came out.

25. Joemi

Joemi Forum Resident

Still not convinced I need it. Are the discs region-free? It would be painful, even at the reduced price, if they won't play in the UK!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.