The Monkees Good Times (1CD)-New 2016 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yellowballoon, Feb 4, 2016.

1. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member Thread Starter

I honestly don't hear him on that track nor Whatever's Right. What gives? Who said he's on Gotta Give It Time? Sounds like Bobby Hart.

2. yellowballoon

A Better World is the McCartney song that Paul wished he recorded. Better thank you 20 plus years McCartney song. Wow and that's Peter Tork.

BeatleStair likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nothing wrong with Bose for a car. You are throwing money away putting real audio equipment in a car unless your plan is to do your listening while parked in a quiet neighborhood.

4. yellowballoon

I love it especially the string Quartet that's on it it's very melodic. It sounds more modern I do see why it's not on the album. It does stand on it own with a little sophistication.

BeatleStair likes this.
  5. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Are you kidding ? It's pretty mediocre. The sentiment is nice, but the execution & vocal performance, while not terrible, certainly isin't really good.

There's some interesting stuff on the backing.

It's ok with me if you love it, I just am surprised anybody would think it's great, I think passable, is a more accurate description. Believe me I'm rooting for the album, but this might be the worst one.

6. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

I somehow managed to resist listening to any of the new material until my iTunes pre-order became available last night. And despite all the glowing, positive reviews I read, I am really amazed by what we received. Who would have expected this? Who would have expected I would already be hoping there is a follow-up?

I will definitely re-arrange the track listing and add one more Davy song to it. Thinking that "Written In My Heart" will be the way I go.

MikeInFla likes this.
  7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Pretty mediocre" is an understatement.

Someone posted it here: 14 A Better World The Monkees »

I'm no longer bummed there isn't an FYE within 35 miles of me.
    Unlike the iTunes bonus tracks, these other two kinda blow.

D-rock likes this.
  8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I think this is the best of Peter's tracks, and VERY Macca.

So if someone has this, where's "Love is What I Want"?

BeatleStair likes this.
  9. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I just got my FYE shipment of the exclusive CD and the blue vinyl. I have to disagree about the Peter track to those who've not liked it - to each his own.. It has a very '70s feel to me sort of R&B and I think it's one of Peter's best vocals. I absolutely love the track and love the message. When I interviewed him he was very passionate about the song and I think it's the perfect message for this political season. Micky and Coco are singing background and Peter plays percussion and keyboards and Andrew producing.

Love the strings. Not what I was expecting as I thought it might be more like "Pretty Ballerina" like Andrew sort of hinted but it's much more '70s and I like the hopeful note it ends the album on - sounds like a link between the '60s and '70's. Maybe a '70s sounding Monkees record next?!!!

It's in my top five on the album now. If you're a Peter fan run out and get the FYE exclusive CD. LOVE it!!! The blue vinyl is the same 1986 version as the recent box set and sure is purty lol!

[​IMG]

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Pulled before I could d/l it...

11. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I'm not a huge Monkees fan (although I do have all the albums through "Head"), but wanted to hear this album because of the guest-written tracks by Partridge, Weller and Gallagher, and Cuomo, and because the 3 reviews I'd read were very positive. I found a stream today, and after listening to it twice all I can say is that Monkees fans must be in heaven right now. It's easily one of their best albums, if not THE best. A real gem of a pop album. .I will be buying it.

12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Hakanand, Hutch, George C. and 2 others like this.
  13. BeatleStair

D-rock likes this.
  14. yellowballoon

I don't know I can't get it out of my head. It's pretty sophisticated, real strings with a nice sound. Peter stretching out of his Comfort zone here. Executed quite nice. These melodies are the type Paul use to pull off. Today he has to process the **** out of a song and kill it sonically. This sounds organic and makes me long for the days when Macca just did this. Sorry this Monkees record and its bonus cuts sound fresher than anything Macca has put out in years. So yes there you go.

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

dude, whatever you're smoking, hook a brother up!

16. BeatleStair

I have to agree. I was bowled over and listened twice before I posted here. Was kind of surprised folks didn't like it but oh well. I love it! I think Peter sounds so good on this album and this is the best vocal of the three IMHO.

PhoffiFozz, agundy and yellowballoon like this.
  17. BeatleStair

Puff lol. Clean the ear wax dude:p

18. yellowballoon

Nah just don't smoke the skank weed you all pass around here.

I333I and BeatleStair like this.
  19. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Seriously? Die-hard Macca fan and this album is every bit as good as his last few...I guess the Monkees still don't get the respect they deserve.:cry:

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Is today release day?

[EDIT] Let me Google that for you = ah there we go. Nothing on Rhapsody (yet).

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's up on Spotify and iTunes.

Gaslight likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's on Rhapsody now. I think it was PEBKAC. :rolleyes:

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

What do you expect from a service that shares it's name with a Queen tune

Gaslight likes this.
  24. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

different strokes for different folks...it is my favorite track- have never heard Tork sound better.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  25. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Never would have thought his best vocal would be on their 50th Anniversary album - but it is. I was floored when I first heard it. Second only to "Come On In" IMO.