The Monkees - Worth checking out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Stupid question I'm sure - considering all the Monkee-related threads - but are the Monkees worth checking out?

I don't know anything about them except they were a "fake" band, etc. etc.

:)

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Frank was down with them...

[​IMG]

'nuff said!

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Sure, but not beyond a greatest-hits disc, IMO.

(I'm sure it won't be long before their fans jump all over me. :D)

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love them. They had great music, and the TV show is a classic. Many people don't know that John Lennon called Micky Dolenz "monkey man" as a nickname.

5. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Sorry but yes this is a rather pointless question when you could easily read all the countless other threads. Anyway all the Monkees fans will tell you a definite "Yes" and the others will yell you "No". So go have a listen on youtube and make up your own mind or buy a best of. Peoples opinions are all subjective so use your own ears and read up a bit on them. Despite that if you told us what sort of artists/music you like we could have some idea if they "might" be something you like. If you are into Jazz, blues, hard rock or rap then forget it. If you like The Beatles and for want of another word "bubblegum music" (yes I know they are not totally that so no arguments please) then you may enjoy them.

readr, quakerparrot67, Pizza and 2 others like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well, I was right there in 1966, and I loved them.
    Then I got older than 8 years old, but kept the 45s, which I still have.
    In 2010, at the age of 51, I joined here, and thought all the Monkees threads were a sarcastic joke.
    Of course, they weren't.
    Then I began to re-listen, and it was fun again, and this time I demanded Mono ! I got it.
    5 years later, I'm weeding my collection, but still love my Monkees.
    That's my story.
    Good luck.

stereoptic, showtaper, readr and 4 others like this.
  7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Absolutely! Not everything they recorded will be to everyone's taste but there's enough good stuff there to be found. Just check them out with an open mind and see what works for you. If you arrive at the conclusion that none of their records are any good, that's fine. Don't be put off by the hatred some people show though. Determine your own love or hate!

8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

9. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

:realmad: :cussing::wantsome:

lol

warewolf95 and Monosterio like this.
  10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Another member of the Monkees original target audience here and a lifetime fan. Don't believe the hype. Like the man said, listen and decide for yourself.

CDC, agundy, Nick Dunning and 3 others like this.
  11. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

While I was around in the 60's and remember their TV show, I didn't actually own any Monkees recordings until a couple years ago. Their hits were pretty solid 60's pop, and there are a few minor gems scattered through their albums, more on Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones, Ltd. than the others. If you have a particular fondness for 60's pop and rock, they have a definite nostalgic appeal. I really enjoyed picking up those albums and hearing them for the first time. But they're not essential in any way except as an example of pop culture of the times.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I would evaluate their records on their own without regard to whether they were a real or fake band. If you read up on their history you will learn that some of their records support each thesis, but ultimately what I feel matters is only their impact on the listener. I don't love the Beach Boys that feature the same musicians any less than the ones where the band members play everything. Personally I love about 75% of the Monkees material, including some that supports each thesis.

I would check out both a greatest hits comp and Pisces Aquarius Capricorn Jones and make a decision as to whether or not to further investigate after that.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I am new here so it's interesting to see the bands that inspire the most divisiveness and kick up the most sand in these forums. So far, it's a pretty diverse list - The Carpenters, Captain Beefheart and The Monkees all seem to absolutely polarize people. God I love music!

monkees paw, Ash76, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  14. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident

So what if they were manufactured. Many many great songs. They got excellent songwriting contributions from the best writers in the business, and Nesmith could write also. And they all could sing. Get on YouTube and listen to Tapioca Tundra, sung by Nesmith.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones, Ltd and Headquarters are worth buying on their own. PAC&J is a great 60s album from beginning to end (minus Davy Jones' "Hard To Believe" sticks out like a sore thumb). Headquarters has a couple of great Nesmith songs on side 1 and a great mostly psychedelic side 2.

Grand_Ennui, CMcGeek and warewolf95 like this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Though I don't consider myself to be an uber-fan like some around here, I like the Monkees a lot. I don't really buy into the "fake band" line either. Yes, they started out as Don Kirshner's multimedia product, but part of what's inspiring about their story is the way that the band (Nesmith in particular, who was the best writer in the group) really fought for their creative freedom when it would have been easier for them not to rock the boat. It's like the Pinocchio story--they became the real thing. If you enjoy good 60s psychedelic pop, Headquarters, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, Ltd. and Head are all very enjoyable.

keyXVII, monkees paw, wilejoe and 2 others like this.
  17. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Always hated them.

18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

The Monkees have some really good songs. Definitely check them out, but start with a 'hits' compilation.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  19. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I second Head after you listen to some of their greatest hits first.

monkees paw and D-rock like this.
  20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Exactly. Nobody seems to care that a '59 Gibson Les Paul Standard or a '29 Deusenberg SJ were also manufactured.

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Small caveat emptor for beginners with Head is that it's only 6 songs with the rest being film soundtrack and dialog.......................but the 6 songs are really good to great.

monkees paw, Smartin62 and warewolf95 like this.
  22. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

It's not like years ago where you pretty much had to buy at a greatest hits to hear what a band was about. You can go on Youtube and check out their songs. You can also check www.allmusic.com and see good reviews of their albums and find out which of their several albums are considered to be the best.

It's pretty easy these days to get up to speed on bands that you missed or weren't around to hear when they were new.

Scott

quakerparrot67 and warewolf95 like this.
  23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great replies guys. I'll check 'em out. :)

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

There are many great gems spread throughout the Monkees music catalog. 'While I Cry' can be found on the 1969 Instant Replay album and features beautiful guitar work and gorgeous vocal harmonies.

25. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Yes if you're 13 years old.

Larry Mc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.