The most annoying "Best of", "Greatest Hits" Compilations (key hits missing, live tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

See my post above here about Geffen Records in 1982.

Again, I do not know what subsequently happened. Did EMI/Capitol acquire this later? EDIT - the post above here, which answers my question appeared at the exact same time as this one.

2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The Lennon 4cd Box came out in 1990 and by then the rights to Double Fantasy etc had been acquired by EMI, I am not sure when exactly.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It seems it came out on Geffen in the USA and Canada and EMI/Parlophone everywhere else.

John Lennon - The John Lennon Collection

Grant and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Plantation" was from late 1985 - it followed the "Southern Accents" tour! :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I didn't mind that one.
    Having said that, I really did like The Best of Dark Horse 1976–1989

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Mine is the UK version. It is a bit of an oddity.

7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Let It Roll was not presented as a "Best of" or "Greatest Hits" - it's just "Songs by George Harrison." Sort of like Pure McCartney or Gimme Some Truth.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That is correct. I thought the mention of EMI was odd, well, for we in the U.S..

9. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

One I just thought of was George Harrison's "Best of Dark Horse", not only very heavy on the late 80's songs, but doesn't even have any songs from the "Dark Horse" album!!

The Hud and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I think that would be because "Dark Horse" album, from 1974, was on the Apple label, wheras his "Best of Dark Horse 1976-1989" release refers to the label, which did not come into existence until 1976 (this might be a little simplified, but I think what happened was -- when Apple folded in 1975, George went to WB and started Dark Horse Records)

Incidentally, him leaving Apple is why the "Best of George Harrison" LP appeared in 1976.

scratchtasia, Galley and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Also missing Yer So Bad. I guess they had to cut something. But this is my favorite song.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Ah, I guess that explains it then. It was the "Dark Horse" record label, just still seems strange though.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

As well known as Lonely Is The Night is, it only peaked at #28 on the AOR airplay chart and didn't chart on the Hot 100.

14. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I didn't read all 83 pages here but I just realized that Marshall Tucker's Greatest Hits doesn't have Take The Highway on it.

MYQ1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I remember when i got the first Faces box set. i sold my cd's before i got it. Then, no Wicked Messenger? Wtf. Best song they ever did, not on there. And they had a flexy disc throwaway song on it. I like the box. But the Faces are so hard to document. I think a great set of full live shows would be a good way. Those live songs on the box were revelations. Better than the official live album to me.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They really need to release a box set of their BBC sessions like the Kinks and Thin Lizzy did as there are complete live show broadcasts from the BBC.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The late Ian "Mac" McLagan had plans of doing that around 2006/07, but the project was ultimately shelved. IIRC, the one time I met him, he said he was aware of the Kinks and Thin Lizzy BBC boxes and because of those two boxes, thought of reviving the Faces' BBC box again. I may have imagined it, but I also think he said that there were other Ronnie Lane-era live concert performances that he had discovered. We all know what happened that put the kibosh on that...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe it was posted on one of the message boards at one time that a BBC box was being considered.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

True. And Already Gone and Peaceful Easy Feeling were not written by any member of the group and as singles they were deserving of inclusion. Love to see Outlaw Man with a clean intro included.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Those Culture Club Best Of CDs that only have 10 songs- it's been re-released endlessly with different covers.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  21. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

But it was never claimed by anyone that that boxset would be a complete collection of their albums, so why would you expect every song from every album to be included? Things like that flexidisc throwaway are more logical and necessary inclusions on what is essentially (for the most part) a rarities boxset than pretty much any particular album track would be.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Greatest Hits included studio versions only (which is a good thing), so, of course, no songs from Pack Up The Plantation. And Let Me Up was just awful ...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Jack o' the Shadows

Jack o' the Shadows Live and Dubious

"The Essential Guy Clark" is pretty annoying. There's nothing wrong with the selected material, but it should really have been a two disc set, like every other "The Essential" title I can think of. As is, you might as well just buy the twoofer of "Old No. 1" and "Texas Cookin'" instead.

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

You're lucky if it's merely bland. Some of them were downright ugly. I used to have a Simon & Garfunkel "best of" that had the two guys' faces in front of this tacky backdrop that I think was supposed to represent the rays of the sun. I had a Sonny & Cher "greatest hits" that was even worse. I hasten to add that this was when I was just discovering certain artists, and before I realised that buying the actual studio album was a much better proposition for acts like S&G.

mj_patrick and johnnybrum like this.
  25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

for me it's the best of carly simon ... the old vinyl had my favourite song of hers "I've got to have you" ... I used to listen to my dad's vinyl all the time, when the cd came out, although cd's can hold more info etc etc they took that one song off, so i never bought it. made no sense to me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.