The most annoying "Best of", "Greatest Hits" Compilations (key hits missing, live tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

She did not write it, a fact that I only discovered recently. That may be part of the explanation for its omission.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

perhaps, but it is still illogical for it to be squeezed on to the vinyl and omitted from the cd ... If i get the best of joe cocker i expect it to have "with a little help from my friends" ....

goodiesguy, dbone828 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I always thought it weird that "Picture This - the Best of Deborah Harry and Blondie" did not contain their first hit, "In the Flesh", which was the song that broke them in this country. It wasn't until later that I learned that it wasn't a hit elsewhere.

goodiesguy and Hardy Melville like this.
  4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Essential Guy Clark came out in the 1990s when RCA Nashville did only 20 song compilations called The Essential.

Galley likes this.
  5. "Legend" by Bob Marley & The Wailers
    totally omitted all the "political" / "protest" songs so as to avoid scaring potential customers.

6. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

But Joe Cocker's 'With A Little Help...' was a hit in more than just one country. 'I've Got To Have You' was a hit (Top 10) in precisely one country (Australia). So that was the only place it appeared on her hits album. I see you are originally from Australia and would remember your dad's Australian copy of the album. So I'd imagine you'd need to get an Australian version of the CD to get that song (unless of course the CD version's tracklist has been standardized worldwide - in which case it wouldn't be there either).

Anyway it wasn't a hit (or probably even a single) anywhere other than Australia, so the only place it could be considered an omission from a hits collection is in Australia. There's no mystery as to why the US CD would omit it, when the US LP never had it to begin with.

dbone828 likes this.
  7. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Time-Life Legends Get It On: tracks shortened, live version of Lola (why?), and was Wild Thing originally recorded on logging tape at 15/16 IPS or what?

goodiesguy likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

well there you go, i never knew that. cheers!
    mystery solved. Aussies continue to have the best taste in music :D

9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

What is Get Up, Stand Up if not a political protest song?

10. mark winstanley

not to mention redemption song

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I griped about live versions in an earlier post, but only when the song in question was better known by it's studio track. In the case of "Lola", the live version is the more well known version, at least to me. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

A lot of those songs were included on 1995's "Natural Mystic" which is Legend Vol. 2. The original album did focus more on love and peace related songs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I remember joining Columbia House around 1995 and for my ten "free" CDs, I used it as an opportunity to load up on a bunch of greatest hits comps of bands I was only somewhat interested in. I remember getting:

Billy Squier--missing "Lonely Is The Night"!
    Seals and Crofts--missing "Closer To You" (or whatever that hit from the late 70s was called)
    Sly & The Family Stone--missing "Family Affair"

The other that were more thorough included Blondie, the Beach Boys, Santana, Kansas, The Monkees, the Grateful Dead, and Frank Zappa.

Duke Fame and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. BradOlson

Get Closer came out after the Seals & Crofts Greatest Hits came out (rectified by Wounded Bird: https://www.amazon.com/Singles-As-Bs-1970-1976-Reissue/dp/B06XKQF36T) , the same with Family Affair for Sly & The Family Stone (although Anthology came out in the early 1980s that rectified this, these are the superior comps sound wise that includes Family Affair: https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Sly-Family-Stone/dp/B00006NSH7/ and https://www.amazon.com/Playlist-Very-Best-Family-Stone/dp/B016W64D5I/)

Gems-A-Bems and The Slug Man like this.
  15. BradOlson

The studio version was the higher charting hit although the live version did get airplay in the early 1980s

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  16. Duke Fame

That explains it then. I became a teenager in 1982, so my first exposure to the song was probably the live version on our local AOR station.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. BradOlson

You should pick up a copy of the Lola vs. The Powerman and The Moneygoround album as that is a classic album.

18. Duke Fame

Have it. It's a good one. :)

BradOlson likes this.
  19. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I have very few complaints about the George Michael compilation "Ladies and Gentlemen".

Except... it contains I Want Your Sex - Part Two! What did they have against Part One, which was the hit? Part Two is basically just an instrumental reprise, with a few extra GM vocals thrown in at a couple of places.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Until now, I had no idea that there was a sequel to Legend.

Galley likes this.
  22. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Is it because they're single edits that you find them (Junior's Farm, With a Little Luck, Venus and Mars/Rock Show) annoying?

I completely agree with you regarding the playout version of No More Lonely Nights. Absolutely unnecessary.

I found the inclusion of the live version instead of the studio version of Coming Up to be a little annoying when Wingspan first came out, until I realized that it was the hit version in North America (and actually a better version of the song, in my opinion), while the UK version of Wingspan included the studio version, which was the hit there.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. that's the least they could do

read this interview, puke a bit and you'll understand why I wrote what I wrote

How Bob Marley Conquered the Suburbs

24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

It would help if you state the point you are trying to make. Your claim was that they "totally omitted all the "political" / "protest" songs so as to avoid scaring potential customers.", when in fact they included some of the protest songs.

The Hud likes this.
  25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Me either. I looked it up on Amazon, and I don't think I have ever seen it before.

I wonder if Barry Diament mastered this as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.