The most boring concert you've ever been to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Keefheart, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A) I think tickets for Bowie's 1995 tour were in the $30 range. Not cheap circa 1995, but not "big $$" either, especially given it was a double bill with another popular act;

B) Bowie openly, loudly, publicly said in 1990 he wouldn't do the hits anymore. If someone bought a ticket and didn't know that, that was their fault. It wasn't some secret decision he made and no one knew until the 1995 tour started.

As noted, to some of us, that 1995 setlist was the best we've ever seen. US 1995 didn't show Bowie at his best - partly because he was greeted by a semi-hostile crowd of NIN fans every night - but good God, those setlists remain amazing! Easily the best setlists of the 8 Bowie tours I saw!

2. Oatsdad

I saw 11 1995 shows in 3 weeks - with 8 of them over 11 days (!) - and I didn't know much about NIN when I went to my first show in Hershey. I knew of them, but I didn't know any songs.

Trent and company won me over. Within the first 3 shows, I decided I liked them and bought their whole catalog - easy to do in 1995! :D

Still a fan, but not much of one. I think NIN peaked in 1994/95 and never really warmed up to the later stuff...

trd and Dodoz like this.
  3. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Dire Straits 2/25/92 Binghamton, NY My one buddy's girlfriend fell asleep

King Crimson 2001 Tower Theatre. John Paul Jones opened. I fell asleep during Crimson.

I was really looking forward to both of these shows.

4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Eric Clapton, D&TD, 1970?

5. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

Probably Phil Collins at Madison Square Garden 1990. The show was being filmed for Pay Per View so there were big cameras all over the stage and he played to the cameras, not an exciting setlist or performance, and the crowd seriously lacked energy. Probably the oldest crowd I was ever around at a concert, not specifically in years (plenty of old folks (who were younger than I am today) at the Who and Stones when I went in '89 but they were rock fans and actually made the shows better) but people who looked like they had no interest in live music, sitting there blandly - if there were cell phones then they would have been chatting away.

Second place GnR also at MSG 1991. That was more of a train wreck. Opening act was Soundgarden, I had never heard of them but Joey Ramone came on stage and introduced them so at least there was some excitement. Then the 2+ hour wait for GnR to arrive. Then Axl starts the show with a rant against the NY Times, reading an entire bad review of the previous show. By that time all excitement and interest was gone. Plus the band was obviously tearing apart at the seams, Izzy was sorely missing (I remember the "where's Izzy" signs) too many people on stage and nonsense like the piano rising up from the stage, also a lame encore.

6. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

I own a Christmas themed DVD by Trans Siberian Orchestra that I must watch every December. Finally, they were gong to do a show during the season in my town. Bought good seats and went very excited to see them live. They never played any of the music from the Christmas DVD and were unbelievably boring. Should have done my research:mad:

Crimson jon likes this.
  7. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Bob dylan....everytime I've seen him.

Eric Clapton in Houston in the 2000s.

8. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

Gee I hope he's doing better now

utopiarun likes this.
  9. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Why do you Continue to see him then? I gave up 14 years ago.

RangerXT and Nomadicarchivist like this.
  10. trd

trd Forum Resident

You many want to sit down for this...

11. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Shuggie Otis big comeback show at the Fillmore.
    It sounded like he grabbed a pickup blues band from a local bar and threw them onstage with no rehearsal.

followed by Mark Knopfler in Berkeley in 2001. I dunno, just too tasteful or mature for me, but I just about fell asleep.

Those are the only two shows I've ever walked out of.

12. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Yeah I think the White River amphitheatre kind of sucks, but it brings a lot of gigs that one used to have to drive to the Gorge to see. I've opted to go to Ridgefield Sunlight Supply amphitheatre a couple times because it sounds way better than White River venue.. Plus my brother lives in Oregon and we meet up there, but another all day ordeal.

I find most shows boring, and often wonder why I go.
    Small shows are usually the best.... Good sound can save arena shows...
    Tacoma dome can sound good but usually doesn't. Seattle center coliseum never sounded good from shows I've been to from the mid 80s till about 5 years ago, last I attended.

Fullbug likes this.
  13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I guess I've been fortunate to not attend boring concerts. :pineapple:

I will say though, that the last Grateful Dead show I saw (last tour, LA Sports Arena) was sssssssslllllllllllloooooooooowwwwww. Never got out of first gear, every song at a slow tempo. Maybe that's all Jerry could handle at that point? (When I heard he died it was no surprise, though still ripped a piece of me out).

Mmmm, I'll also throw in that seeing Van Halen as a kid at the Monsters of Rock was great UNTIL an interminable encore of "Cabo Wabo" whence me and my brother looked at each other and skated out the side of Alpine Valley.

14. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I saw Sting on a later tour. Definitely underwhelmed but the audience sucked the engery out of it. Never sat amongst such a ‘polite’ group of people. His energetic start quickly tapered. Shame really ... great songs, performed by top musicians.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  15. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Manheim Steamroller....by far the most boring event I have ever been to. I know you are probably asking yourself
    "Why would someone sit through 2 hours of this music?" Don't fret...I asked myself the same question.

16. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

I was there too didn't Alex lifesons back line cut out for what seemed like an eternity?

17. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

Well there was an orchestra playing, but a production of "Cats". We didn't come back after the intermission. Never before have I been so bored watching a performance on a stage.

18. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

I don't remember that at all, maybe I was deep in the land of nod at the time.

The Colston Hall was such a great venue at that time.
    So easy to crash sold out gigs in those days of disinterested amateur 'security' and non-alarmed exit doors!

Not that I'm condoning such irresponsible behaviour of course.

19. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Eric Clapton October 2018. A by the numbers snooze fest. It appeared Eric was wearing pajamas and I’m thinking, I should have worn mine. Eric should have taken a cue from his opening act, Gary Clark Jr- there’s a guy who was brought the juice.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

I've never left a concert due to boredom, but in the same vein as your post, my dad left a Broadway production of "Annie" in the 70s because he hated it so much! :D

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, what was the line-up when you saw Fairport?

22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I would have loved to have seen that show! :)

23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

(Sorry Bob). Bob Weir and Wolf Bros. Pretty much a snoozer until into 2nd set and even then.....

24. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

I Guess If You Like Kilroy Was Here. For Me Give Me Early Styx.

carlwm likes this.
  25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Man, I loved that show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.