The most poorly/worst mastered CDs EVER!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stipe, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not a favorite of mine as well...
    and to boot it's loudified...

samthesham likes this.
  2. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Right, the original CD- fatboy- is awful. My reference was a public library-borrowed 70's press dubbed onto a cheap cassette from a crapy turntable. That cassette dub sounded like a holy grail compared to the CD.

DTK likes this.
  3. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Greatest Hits 1982-1989 sounds good to me.

[​IMG]

PTgraphics, c-eling and sa5150 like this.
  4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I haven't found anything of his that I thought sounded good or even decent. Even Vlado Meller and Howie Weinberg have great sounding CDs behind them (CBS Rolling Stones and Nevermind, respectively). But Marcrushen? Well, Good As I Been To You is, uh, not really all that bad, I guess... though I probably could do better with Audacity...

Taxman likes this.
  5. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Having just listened to - or at least tried to - the latest Residents editions of Meet The Residents and Third Reich and Roll I think I've found a new winner. Just when the trend is moving in the opposite direction this is the most unlistenable brick-walled noise I've ever heard. The 'band' and the label should be ashamed by what they've deemed acceptable to release. I won't be buying any other titles in this series and am thinking about sending them back as unfit for purpose. Absolutely stupid.

Scope J, mr.datsun and fRa like this.
  6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Stephen Marcussen did the original Virgin Records CD mastering of Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl and that is a great disc.

McLover likes this.
  7. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I don't know about the worst, but when I put it on my CD player, I couldn't believe how bad and how much of an ear-bleeder it was.

8. InStepWithTheStars

Okay. Thanks for pointing that out. That was '88 or '89 right? Before people knew how to %$#@ up digital audio efficiently. :D

Actually, I don't know if that's entirely true, as this is a waveform from a CD released in 1990:

[​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  9. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident

How about Rickie Lee Jones’ Flying Cowboys from 1989? I seem to remember that one being pretty good when I listened to it in the last 6 months.

10. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

1&1 is 2;2&2 is 4 etc...We're all right, its that BAD! I can't believe the remaining Beatles allowed this inferior piece of junk to hit the market under the great Beatle name.
    And the vinyl is just as bad(maybe worse).

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming. I agree, that's a solid case where mastering matters.

12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I'll provide some examples of how terrible a mastered CD can sound by brickwalling the audio itself. With Extreme Noise Terror's Another Nail In The Coffin track from my original Hardcore Holocaust Peel Sessions CD released by Strange Fruit to the BBC Grind Madness at the BBC released by Earache Records being a prime example:

Below is from the Hardcore Holocaust Peel Sessions CD version. DR 10. :agree:

[​IMG]

And below is BBC Grind Madness at the BBC released by Earache Records. DR 5. :shake:

[​IMG]

Carlox, hodgo, Dynamic Ranger and 6 others like this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Agreed. I wrote to [email protected] to let them know my feelings.

ispace and edenofflowers like this.
  14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

The 1997 remasters of 10cc How Dare You, Deceptive Bends and Bloody Tourist. These are the most unnecessary remasters ever made, since the previous ones sound amazing and are without errors. Even more sad is that those faulty remasters are still the current ones and on Spotify. A crime.
    ... and then we have all the thousands that are more or less brick walled, have boosted bass and treble, are NR'd and so on, that replaced wonderful dynamic original CD's - those would fill this whole forum.

15. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Too many to name, but a lot of those seem to have been resurrected
    in some way. Annoying to the t was the fact that Borboletta by
    Santana was an atrocious sounding redbook up until recently.
    A lot of their catalog was upgraded on digital a while back.

16. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Respect for choosing this great band / song though! Makes a change from Beatles 87 vs 09 arguments!!

c-eling and nosliw like this.
  17. InStepWithTheStars

Okay, put it this way: I have not heard a Marcussen master from 1994 onwards that I thought sounded good.

Inner ear likes this.
  18. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Thank you! These awful brickwalled masters are after all extreme noise terror to people who care about dynamic range in music and is another nail in the coffin regarding how bad the loudness wars has become.

Dynamic Ranger, Scott6 and c-eling like this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Look's like it was recorded pretty hot and then re-leveled for the format.

20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Of course singles were sometimes boosted-
    Depeche Mode-Enjoy The Silence (7 Inch), 1990 US DR 9 The 3 inch DADC Austria maintains a DR12
    [​IMG]

ispace likes this.
  21. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I recognize that. Bought it the first year I started collecting CDs. Mulled that purchase over long and hard before I pulled the trigger. Sucks on toast. The only earthly good it served me was in 2002 Pete Best played a gig in a city 55 miles away from me and a friend that I was going with me told me to bring something because Pete would do signings after the gig. The CD was easier to carry and conceal than my 2 LP Star Club set. So now it has some value thanks to Pete's black magic marker sig on the front cover.

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I bought a new CD copy of Church Of Anthrax by Terry Riley and John Cale. [Columbia, Culture Factory, C 30131, 850703003200, CFU0320]. Sounded awful. It had a dynamic range of around seven. Made in 2013, nearly 15 years after the loudness wars. No kidding.

23. InStepWithTheStars

Wow, the loudness wars must really be over if a DR7 CD hit the market.

24. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Nearly all of Rush's catalogue on cd.

25. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

The Doobie Brothers ~ Southbound. Total piece of brickyarded crappola! I heard "What A Fool Believes" on the radio and was impressed by Sara Evan's voice as I'd never heard her before. I bought one of her recordings as impressed with her voice and her range.

I bought Southbound and immediately went to the track "What A Fool Believes". I was NOT happy when i heard it at all. Her voice is LOUD but has no range on the recording - it just goes from loud to LOUDER. Too bad the CD has a hole in the center as I can't even use it for a coaster .....